Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R740

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
London
Hello all,

I know there is a way to install the latest beta on the Apple Watch without a registered Apple Developer account, but I am wondering if the Watch bricks during the installation/using process of the beta, does Apple freely repair ('rebrick') the Watch, or do they check if the owner's Apple ID is registered to the Developer program?

Thank you

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
You DO NOT have to pay to have the watch restored. Apple will send it to the depot to have the current live WatchOS installed. The watch does not brick itself during the install of the beta. Apple no longer checks for dev accounts.

Reactions: SoN1NjA

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
You DO NOT have to pay to have the watch restored. Apple will send it to the depot to have the current live WatchOS installed. The watch does not brick itself during the install of the beta. Apple no longer checks for dev accounts.
Ok, I'm that guy: Do you have a reliable source for what you're stating?

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Ok, I'm that guy: Do you have a reliable source for what you're stating?

There is no source other than it’s pretty common knowledge that Apple no longer checks UDID or charges to reinstall live WatchOS from beta.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoN1NjA

Jimmyjamh

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2013
I’ve downloaded os4 without a dev account. I couldn’t resist having a play. Installed without any trouble at all. No delays, no hanging, only took 50 mins. I was aware that it could go pear shaped at any minute.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I was selling my watch and the buyer requested that I downgrade it from the beta back to the stock OS.
Apple told me that the downgrade was free but shipping back and forth was not.
And the shipping is required because the downgrade is not something that can be done in-store.
They did waive the shipping fee but I wouldn't count on it always being waived.

Neo1975

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2015
Google it, you will find a profile that works. I wouldn’t though, in my experience the battery life is terrible.

Jimmyjamh

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2013
Battery life on this beta 4 has been very good for me so far. No problems using it as a daily driver at all. I get a tiny bit of lag every so often but no much so far.

Neo1975

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2015
Battery life on this beta 4 has been very good for me so far. No problems using it as a daily driver at all. I get a tiny bit of lag every so often but no much so far.

Battery life seems to be so inconsistent. Not many interactions today, Siri watch face, put on at 07:00, completely dead at 16:00.

Reactions: Jimmyjamh

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Battery life seems to be so inconsistent. Not many interactions today, Siri watch face, put on at 07:00, completely dead at 16:00.

You are correct on that one. I have been using an activity face since about 9am PST right now @ 4:15 I'm at 79%. I've also noticed that both Siri and Modular watch faces take a long time to "raise to wake" whereas my activity face does not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.