Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I don't know if any of you have heard of TSclientX but it is an alternative to Microsoft's RDC included with the Office suites. TSclientX has not been updated in almost 10 years.

The developer sent me an email the other day, so today I downloaded it on my G5 Quad and gave it a shot connecting to my gaming machine powered by an i7 and 24GB of ram (super excessive I think).

This new beta actually works well, and connects to Windows 10 build 1607 (Anniversary Update) with no issues. I was also able to successfully stream audio through Spotify and Pandora.

So I figured if I shared this someone would find it useful!

Download Here

TSclientX.png

He also is working on something involving audio and PowerPC, I'll discuss this later but it is sweet :)

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Anyone know where to download this? The link provided does not appear to work.

I used the waybackmachine since indeed the site appears to no longer function but the link on the wayback machine is also no longer working.

Checked my downloads but I don't have the 2.0 beta , anybody else still got it ?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Despite of the dead link - I'd rather know, if that version could also deal with certificates on WinServer2008 and later (so I could use iMac-G3, Cube-G4 and iMac-G4 as "fat-clients" in the office again)

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Many thanks!
Unfortunately I still get error-messages, when trying to connect to WinServer2008 … :(

View attachment 726047

Basically TSclientX is rdesktop 1.7 with a GUI in tcsl started in X11.

The actual rdesktop binary is located here

/Applications/TSclientX.app/dist/bin//rdesktop

Try this tip => 7 , if it works you might be able to pass the RDP version parameter to TSclientX and have a working GUI also.
I don't have any installed Win2008 Server VM's or I would have tried it myself.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany

Try this tip => 7 , if it works you might be able to pass the RDP version parameter to TSclientX and have a working GUI also.

Oh, thanks for caring about my problem connecting to WinServer2008.
I have to admit, that I'm less than a novice, when it comes to Linux, "binaries" and linking Linux-stuff for usage with OS X. Wish I could - but learning curve is too steep.
Too bad, my old PPC-Macs obviously won't become a part of my living Mac-museum... sniff

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Many thanks - but again my limited knowledge... sorry
I've installed your desktop rebuild, but how can I find it, use it etc.?

Open Terminal, either rdesktop will be in your path so if you type rdesktop it will work or you can type which rdesktop which will tell you the folder it is located in.
If this is the case do cd to_that_folder and then you will have to type something like this :
> Use First Display > RDP version
| |
rdesktop -0 -D -g 1024x768 -P the name or IP of your server -u your Windows_user -d Windows domain -5 -K -r clipboard:CLIPBOARD

The -5 parameter might no longer be necessary as is the -0 (only if you have multiple displays) the clipboard is so that you can copy paste between OS X and the Windows machine

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
@bobesch

I can confirm that this works even with TSclientX .
I already have Macports installed so I did a sudo port install rdesktop but you can also use @wicknix seperate install of rdesktop above if you don't have Macports installed.

Since rdesktop 1.8 is first in my PATH , TSclientX uses it instead of it's own binary of rdesktop.

I tried manually in Terminal with
rdesktop -D -g 1024x768 -P -u username -d domain_name -r clipboard:CLIPBOARD servername

Picture 3.png

Then I started TSclientX , just filled in hostname,user,domain and it works also

Picture 4.png

To be sure you are using rdesktop 1.8 you can check in the xterm that is opened by TSclientX

Picture 5.png

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
You'll find the executable is at /opt/local/bin/rdesktop. As @Lastic mentioned just open Terminal and type what he said above. You could also create a bash script to launch it with all your settings saved in it. If you want to go a step further you could open that bash script with an applescript script saved as an application. Then you could assign it an icon and drag it to your dock for easy launching.

Cheers.
[doublepost=1508465980][/doublepost]To make things easier for you i've included a set of scripts like i mentioned above. This MUST be extracted to your desktop and left there for it to work. Inside the RDesktop folder is a bash script and applescript (with a cool icon). Just edit rdesktop.sh and fill in your servers info and save. Click on the applescript to launch rdesktop.

Cheers

Attachments

• RDesktop.zip
    46.6 KB · Views: 540

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Many thanks for all your help! Gonna check this on the weekend but have to go to the office for that, since I cannot establish a working VPN-connection through my PowerBook since there's no "Cisco IPSec" protocol for Leopard/PPC ...

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Hmm being a CCNP let me look into that

Oh, sent by heaven, aren't you?
The missing VPN connection and the RDP-connection both are nagging me for more than a year!
Finally with VirtualPC and WinXP Fundamentals I had been able to connect to my Office-server, but it's somehow awkward.
With my intel stuff no problem, 'cause the "Cisco IPSec" protocol is part of the OSX installation and configuration is similar to iOS.
With Leopard/PPC no such protocol and for a Dummi like me end of the party...
In the meantime I gave up my old Lancom-Router and switched to an AVM "FritzBox" for all-IP-based telephone &internet connection. Luckily installation was very easy and I was even able to establish a VPN-connection on my own. But again that's limited to my intel Macs and I even failed with VirtualPC/WinXP-Fundametals on the first attempts.
Got a cheap "VPN Tracker 5" a few months ago, which supports the "Cisco IPSec" protocol, but I couldn't manage to get it work, too.
So without VPN and without RDP all my favourite PPCs are currently kind of out of "business"...
(but I'm very pleased with a MacBookPro4,1 from early 2008 to fill the gap. - It looks like a sibling when side-by-side with the PowerBook, and, sorry PowerBook!, sports a much brighter screen, (in combination with a BassJump2) a georgeous sound and USB 3.0 with ExpressCard. The better is the enemy of the good ... - But I do fancy the PowerBook's color-temperature of the display!)

Father and Son.JPG

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
@wicknix and @Lastic

You guys are great! - Thank you so much!!!
Went into office today to give TSclientX a try (but did't expect to succeed ...)
And then, 'Dang!', everything just worked out of the box just after TSclientX and rdesktop being installed one after the other.
(I tried the rdesktop command in terminal but didn't succed yet.)

Hu, now I'm really excited to put the Cube, Lamp iMacG5 and my old graphite iMac G3 back to work and even the clamshell attached with the Edimax USB-mini-WLAN should be able to work.

Especially with a Clamshell it will be sort of "fun meets business" feelin' like this ...

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
@wicknix and @Lastic

You guys are great! - Thank you so much!!!
Went into office today to give TSclientX a try (but did't expect to succeed ...)
And then, 'Dang!', everything just worked out of the box just after TSclientX and rdesktop being installed one after the other.
(I tried the rdesktop command in terminal but didn't succed yet.)

Hu, now I'm really excited to put the Cube, Lamp iMacG5 and my old graphite iMac G3 back to work and even the clamshell attached with the Edimax USB-mini-WLAN should be able to work.

Especially with a Clamshell it will be sort of "fun meets business" feelin' like this ...

I hope that we can get your VPN also sorted out but glad to read that you have FUN at work on a Sunday :)

DanM73

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016

It's actually what you describe plus a patch from opensource.dell.com that adds NLA support.

By default NLA is enabled in newer versions of Windows -- An administrator needs to allow use of the less secure protocol for a client to connect. I couldn't find an RDP client for MacOS 10.4-10.6 that supported NLA so I spun-up version 2.0 of TScleintX.

Many thanks!
Unfortunately I still get error-messages, when trying to connect to WinServer2008 … :(

View attachment 726047

Version 2.0 does not use GTK, that screenshot is from version 1.12.

Or i built rdesktop 1.8.3 for leopard that you could try. This release adds support for Windows 2012 and Windows 2012 R2 which fixes smart card redirection, mouse cursor and other minor issues. Get it here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0swufWcvcjlMjFYd1lwR2dyXzQ

Cheers.

Your newer version of rdesktop has improved RDP 6.0 support but it doesn't include support for network level authentication unless you managed to get a ton of dependant libraries like kerberos to build on PPC. I used an ugly hack to fix the mouse pointer but it works well.

Cheers,
D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.