Turning 16 next year. Should I be thinking bout getting a Car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Calabaza1, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Calabaza1 macrumors member

I'm turning 16 years old next year and I have been thinking about getting a car. My parents agreed with me as I decided not to drive my mom's 2009 Subaru WRX 265 and my dad's 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche. With that being said, they came to decision to buy me a car under 4000$. I have been looking around for a couple of weeks and found a couple. Today, while searching, I came across a wonderful old car that I fell in love with. Do you think that a 1995 BMW 318I at cost of 3,500$ would be an appropriate car at 16?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

no,

it is to old of a car. go look for a civic or a sentra 2003 or newer.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It's under the allotted amount so why not? Also you might want to consider if these cars cost more for repairs than say, a toyota. I'm not too knowlegable about car repairs, but if you like the car then by-all-means get it. :)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No you didn't, they decided for you. I'd never let my kid drive a new anything. They're bound to crash it.
    Why did you fall in love with it? Is it super nice? Either way, the answer is no but I am not your parents.

He is right. The maintence is something you must consider. I know that you don't care to think of that because it's real world grown up stuff, but it's the fact.
    No kid at 16 needs a car that screams money pit.

5. mrmahaffey macrumors newbie

I was you not too long ago (about 10 years). That sounds fine, my first car was a 1983 Saab (I forget the model off the top of my head), I was a piece of crap.... yes I wasn't exactly getting laid all the time but I still drive it to this day and now I am married.:D

6. Calabaza1 thread starter macrumors member

This is an answer to Jessica. No, in fact, my parents offered to let me drive their cars but I rejected it because I don't feel ready driving a sport's car and im not too big on the truck thing. As for my parents agreeing, they agreed that getting a used car would be the appropriate thing to do and if I don't feel ready.

7. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

Wow, you are very fortunate !

Do you at least have your permit already?

Jump on that ASAP.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

He right on that point. When I called it too old I was not even thinking about the maintenance and repair cost but just the chances of it leaving you on the road some where and annoying things wrong with it.

Now if you want to get into maintenance cost I will take my 2004 Sentra Spec V. I love the car but in the past 12 months I have put into that car close to $1000 in just maintenance and minor repairs.

The minor repairs was 200 something for my crank sensor that went out. That sensor going out is not really a surprised just an annoyance but if it was not that it would of been something else. Cars at around 4-5 years start having little things start breaking.

300-400 in parts for replacing my brakes pads. If I had to pay for the labor another 100 or so in labor cost. (I have high end brakes on my car)

Rest of the cost in fluids being changed, spark plugs being replace and other minor things.
    I was lucky I did not have to replace the A/C as it was failing before I wreak my car and it go lumped into there (1000+ right their)

In the next year I am projecting to have to replace my tires so that be another 500 into the car.

And if you think my cost are a little high BMW cars will make that look cheap.

As cars get older the maintenance and repair cost.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Why did you register on a Mac forum to ask about cars...? Try a car community, like www.cartalkcanada.com.

Tell them you've reconsidered. WRX pwns. And since you're in Canada, you'll appreciate the AWD when it comes to winter driving.

As to the BMW: buy it, but be aware that a Bimmer will cost more to insure and maintain than a Civic, Corolla, or the like. They are German luxury cars, and they come with German luxury car prices for parts and labour. Just because the purchase price is low, it does not mean the other associated costs will be low.

So, there is nothing wrong with buying a BMW, but recognize that it will cost more to keep on the road than an economy car.

10. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

no, your not mature enough to drive a sports car. a wrx is not a sports car by anymeans. it is a sporty car but not a sports car. an sti is a sports car. but not a stock wrx. you could drive it fine, you just have to be responsible.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: There is very little to separate the 2009 WRX and the STI. Neither is a dedicated, traditional sports car, but they're very close to one another in most every respect.

Agreed. I'm on my second, both fantastic cars in every way. My dad has owned several, and all of them were/are great, too. You can't go wrong with a Honda product.

13. Calabaza1 thread starter macrumors member

I do realize how much the insurance will cost and I have prepared to pay. I also planning on paying my parents through out the following years.

14. POX macrumors member

POX

In my country, Portugal, the minium age to take the drivers licence is 18 years old.

I can´t imagine people driving subarus impreza with 16 years old. :eek:

In europe we have expensive fuel, the best option is diesel, my first and only car is a citroen C3 (4 cilinders Diesel) 1.4cc with 70hp.

This little car fuel consumption is 5 litters (1.32 gallon) every 100km (62 milles).
    One litter (diesel) equivalent to 0.26 gallon, it´s priced at almost 1€ and gasoline it´s above.

15. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I think you should just get a motorcycle. A real fast and loud one. Bypass the car. Cars are for losers.;)

16. Calabaza1 thread starter macrumors member

17. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Diesels have never really caught on in North America. VW sells quite a few TDIs, but even those are always the 1.8 or 2.0L engines - we certainly don't get the three cylinder diesel that you get in the Polo.

When you say "it´s priced at almost 1€ and gasoline it´s above", are you saying diesel is more expensive than gasoline, or that gasoline is more expensive than diesel? Over here diesel tends to be more expensive, which makes people think it's not a good deal, even though diesels get great mileage.

18. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

Have you ever ridden one?

I'm 16 w/ my Car and Motorcycle License but no car or motorcycle aha !

19. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

A 2003 or newer for under $4000 including tax, title, and license? Really? I got a 2001 Ford Escape last year and it was $7500 when it was all said and done, 88,000 miles. Book value was $8500 pre-tax. So getting anything that new for so cheap seems like a long shot.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

But chicks dig 'em.:p:cool:

21. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

And roads dig your face, as you crash...

22. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Actually it was my collar bone, ribs, wrist and arm. Hah!! Face still here waiting for next time.;)

23. Calabaza1 thread starter macrumors member

No and don't plan on it. We can't forget that I'm only 15.. as mentioned before, I'm getting my license next year.

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Me- Getting my license in June of '10.
    Permit- September '09.

I'm getting a job this summer at my dad's UPS store (It'll give me close to $2000 if I work 2 days a week for 3 months, or $2900 if I work 3 days a week for 3 months).

Obviously, my intention is getting a Mac Pro (Quad-Core); but think about getting a job during the summer/summers and getting enough money to get a better car.

25. POX macrumors member

POX

I was trying to say that gasoline it´s even more expensive than diesel, price is 1.30€/litter.

I understand that diesel doesn´t have sucess in north america, 12 years ago I remember that diesel engines were big (under 2.0cc) and underpowered but today all european manufactures are betting on diesel.

You spoke in volkswagen engines, they have a 2.0 TDI with 160hp, BMW have a 35D biturbo with 300hp, and if you compare the fuel consumption between the same power diesel versus gasoline, diesel is all the way.

Diesel engines have much more torque, and slowest they are getting and won some racing events, Audi in le mans, mitsubishi and VW on rally Dakar, etc.

Even porsche have a cayene diesel.