Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The tvOS 14.5 beta that was released this morning includes a code change that references an Apple TV remote control that features a "Center Button," which is a description that does not fit the current Apple TV remote.

mystery-remote-feature-2.jpg

"Press the center button or the touch surface to continue," reads the tvOS 14.5 code, which was discovered by MacRumors contributor Steve Moser.

The remote for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models features a series of buttons that are arranged in two rows, with no button in the center.

There is an older "Apple Remote" with a center button that's designed for the second and third-generation Apple TV models and is compatible with the current Apple TV models, so it's possible that's what the code change is referencing, but it could also be referring to a new unreleased Apple TV remote.

The specific code that was found is in a "setup" app, which would make more sense for a new remote rather than an older remote, but we don't know for sure that this is a reference to a new Apple TV remote option. If it is indeed something new, the upcoming Apple TV remote could perhaps feature a design similar to the remote app on the iPhone, which features a large touch area, a main center Menu button, and side buttons for accessing Siri, play/pause, the Home screen, and search.

Apple is rumored to be working on a sixth-generation Apple TV that will feature an upgraded A-series chip and a revamped remote control. We haven't heard details on what the remote control might look like, but it could have a "Find My" feature for location purposes when lost.

In an earlier beta, Apple renamed the "Siri Remote" to the "Apple TV Remote," which is another possible reference to an unreleased Apple TV remote option.

Update: The code could be referring to a third-party Apple TV remote that's in development and which could be offered by Universal Electronics to cable, satellite, and MVPD companies. This remote also has a circular button, and an image of it was found in the beta by 9to5Mac.

It's possible the Universal Electronics remote will soon be available from various cable providers who will offer it alongside the Apple TV, much like the Salt Remote sold by a Swiss telecommunications company.

Article Link: tvOS 14.5 Beta 6 References Apple TV Remote With 'Center Button' [Updated]

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
"Press the center button or the touch surface to continue," reads the tvOS 14.5 code, which was discovered by MacRumors contributor Steve Moser.
Hoping that the "center button" is surrounded by a real D-pad.

Hopefully apple adds go back 10 seconds and skip 10 seconds buttons on the new remote, instead of having to use the trackpad ?‍♂️
10 sec skip is so painful to use on some apps, especially YouTube.

It is so strange too. Sometimes it works okay, and a few seconds later, it all goes to hell.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
I can't remember the last time I used the physical remote on my 4th gen - it may have been when I first set it up. My LG tv remote works for most things and if there is something it doesn't do then I use the remote in Control Panel on my iPhone.

Since upgrading to a 4k tv a few months ago my wallet is ready and waiting for a new 4K Apple TV - I refuse to buy the 5th gen one that is now heading for 4 years old with rumours of an imminent(???) replacement on the way.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
Press the center button or the touch surface to continue
Please keep the touch surface. It would be a huge step backwards to have to spam click the down arrow to get down the page, instead of swiping with slow or fast gestures to immediately get to the right place.

Never really understood the hate. Unless maybe it’s the “picking it up upside down”... but how long does that really take to correct? .04 seconds to quickly spin around? Plus isn’t that what the raised “menu” button was for? If anything, make it look like the iPhone’s Apple TV remote interface like the article described. That way you wouldn’t pick it up the wrong way. Just please keep the touch pad, and volume buttons.
the upcoming Apple TV remote could perhaps feature a design similar to the remote app on the iPhone, which features a large touch area, a main center Menu button, and side buttons for accessing Siri, play/pause, the Home screen, and search.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
The YouTube app for Apple TV is garbage all around. The 10-second skip. Scrolling through lists. "Watch Later" and "Subscriptions" don't update in-place (you need to back out of them and then navigate into them to see changes). And it's kinda ugly.

Agreed. It’s a garbage app. Google doesn’t care about Apple users, only to mine our data.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The YouTube app for Apple TV is garbage all around. The 10-second skip. Scrolling through lists. "Watch Later" and "Subscriptions" don't update in-place (you need to back out of them and then navigate into them to see changes). And it's kinda ugly.
Yeah, scrolling down the subscription list is painful with the Touch Pad.

It really isn't optimize for the Siri Remote, and in general is just a crappy UI.

Reactions: George Dawes

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
The roku remote is so good. The iPhone app can replace the remote remote, but having real buttons helps a lot

The problem with the Apple iPhone remote app is the lack of TV volume controls.

Please keep the touch surface. It would be a huge step backwards to have to spam click the down arrow to get down the page, instead of swiping with slow or fast gestures to immediately get to the right place.

How about press or press and hold instead of swipe. Swipe, for me at least, works inconsistently and often goes past the target.

Never really understood the hate. Unless maybe it’s the “picking it up upside down”... but how long does that really take to correct? .04 seconds to quickly spin around? Plus isn’t that what the raised “menu” button was for? If anything, make it look like the iPhone’s Apple TV remote interface like the article described. That way you wouldn’t pick it up the wrong way.
My issue is the general lack of tactile feedback when you pick up the remote to identify where the controls are. It's symmetric and unless you look at it it's hard to tell which end is up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.