Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
You use the hardware volume buttons on the iPhone to control the TV volume when in the app.
I never knew this was a thing!! Trying it out now.

Edit: it didn’t work. You mean using the volume rockers on your iPhone when using the Apple TV remote app (from control center)? Now that I think about it.. doesn’t the Apple TV remote control the volume using the IR receiver in the top of the remote?

AussieStu

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Please keep the touch surface. It would be a huge step backwards to have to spam click the down arrow to get down the page, instead of swiping with slow or fast gestures to immediately get to the right place.

Never really understood the hate. Unless maybe it’s the “picking it up upside down”... but how long does that really take to correct? .04 seconds to quickly spin around? Plus isn’t that what the raised “menu” button was for? If anything, make it look like the iPhone’s Apple TV remote interface like the article described. That way you wouldn’t pick it up the wrong way. Just please keep the touch pad, and volume buttons.
100% mate. Totally agree. The last remote I hate.Like you said the new remote is quick to navigate around the screen.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020

Edit: it didn’t work. You mean using the volume rockers on your iPhone when using the Apple TV remote app (from control center)? Now that I think about it.. doesn’t the Apple TV remote control the volume using the IR receiver in the top of the remote?

it does yeah. I’ve heard before that you can use the volume buttons on your phone but I’ve never figured out how to make it work and like you say, it uses IR anyway.

AussieStu

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Please no Roku-like remote. The track pad is perfect. Not sure why people have such a difficult time with it. Sausage fingers? Lack of dexterity? It’s not 2001. I hate the click click click remotes of yor.
Right with you. The old remote designs is a step backwards. I think if the old design came back I would find it hard to buy a new Apple TV. or I can buy a HD Siri remote that will work wit the new one.

Reactions: LeadingHeat

AussieStu

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
I hope Apple redesigns the remote, it is the most frustrating one I've used. Swipe here, swipe tehre, opps the dogs tale changed the channel...
Seriously? Do you think the Apple TV 3 was a better remote? I think the latest one is the best remote they have done. It's fast to get around the UI. Siri works fine. Much better also for input.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I'm not sure Apple TV+ runs in 4K HDR on the Amazon Stick...not even sure there's the app.
Anyway I prefer to stay in the Apple Ecosystem and I try to stay as far from Alexa as I can.
There is an App...I use both a Roku and Firestick to watch TV+ on a couple of non-smart TVs. Roku can run TV+ 4K HDR. What’s the advantage of staying in the Apple Ecosystem...your TV isn’t in it? Roku is a much superior product for a quarter of the price?

Reactions: Digital Dude

Baron Thompson

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
I get your point. iOS' backspace operation is a bit of a mess. Apple should allow you to adjust settings such as the speed and timing of when the speed increase occurs.

Yes, but if you wind up moving your finger to test you can wind up swiping accidentally if you pick it up in the right orientation as you test the friction or look for the menu button.

It is a human centered design, IMHO, that valued form over usability and as a result it is neat but is frustrating for many users when it comes to actually acting as a remote. A good remote design is much like an aircraft cockpit; you can tell what it controls, and operate the desired control, without looking at it. If you have to look at it or fiddle with it, it is distracting.

The flip side is designers who want to put every function on the remote. I have an AV remote at home with some 30+ buttons, all with tiny abbreviations as labels; it is so hard to use I tossed it in a box somewhere and never use it. My Siri remote controls the volume just fine and turns it on and off via HDMI-CEC, which is 99.9% of my normal uses. Other functions, such as changing source, A-B speaker setup, etc. are easily done by getting out of the chair and walking to the device.

Thanks. Makes sense once you realize it but gets back to my human centered design concern, it is not good design when you mimic a controller in an app but leave out a key function because another item on the device can perform that function.
I really don’t want a remote with so many buttons. The ones you see with Netflix and YouTube buttons look so tacky, so cheap with bright red logos on it. I think the current remote is fine.

Baron Thompson

macrumors member
May 8, 2020

This used to work but since the app got updated last year, it no longer does.

• Sad

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Seriously? Do you think the Apple TV 3 was a better remote?

No, but that is not relevant to what I consider human center design issues with the current remote.
I think the latest one is the best remote they have done. It's fast to get around the UI.

I have no issue with people who like it; though "best" is saying much considering their other remote design, IMHO. I find the physical layout and UI to be OK, but not necessarily great, human center design.

Siri works fine. Much better also for input.

Siri? Siriously? I've found Siri to be the most maddening inout device around; from misunderstanding what I am looking for, returning results irrelevant to my search, and in general not ready for prime time.

This used to work but since the app got updated last year, it no longer does.

Which is another issue with how Apple approaches UI design by making changes that remove or change functionality for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Interesting. Mine, at least in Control center, has no volume control, although HDMI-CEC works on the Siri Remote.

Have you tried using the physical volume buttons on the iPhone? That’s what I usually do.

csfossett

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
Seems pretty clear from this thread that the trackpad v buttons argument is pretty split. I like the trackpad. My wife, not so much. But I have to imagine everyone can agree that a new Apple remote NEEDS a freakin' mute button.

Reactions: copperbutte

copperbutte

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2019
I hope Apple redesigns the remote, it is the most frustrating one I've used. Swipe here, swipe tehre, opps the dogs tale changed the channel...
Yes. The main two problems for me are it's too damn small for my hands, and no MUTE button? I mean WTF is wrong in Cupertino?

Reactions: csfossett

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The Apple TV remote(s) are the biggest Pieces of CR-P... and they keep doubling down on worse designs. Form over function seems to be the goal and frankly is getting boring.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I hate the Apple Remote in my Apple TV 4, I frankly just using the one that came with my new SmartTV. Admitedly, I just use the SmartTV over the Apple TV more often, especially since it now also has Apple TV and Apple Music apps.

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010

Yes, when your in the control center (or app) remote control, you use the two physical buttons on the side of your iPhone to change volume. Same as you would use them to change volume on your HomePod when you’re controlling that from your iPhone, if that makes it any clearer.

You are right that that cannot work if you use the IR workaround for controlling your TV volume. I hadn’t thought of that use case. By default the Apple TV uses CEC for volume control since that’s the only way that the Apple TV box can control the volume. It doesn’t have an IR blaster on it.

That can’t be fixed in the app though. Even if they put buttons on the screen, it would only work for CEC connections.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
More buttons, less clarity...
One can be divided about the current Apple Remote.
In my life, I had had so many device remote controls from other manufacturers, which ultimately became unusable due to their variety of keys. A cleverly designed GUI nowadays enables key reducted concepts.

But just as there are lovers of large and small displays, there will always be lovers of minimalist or lush designs.
I am sure that apple is investing a lot of thought here and I am curious to see what might change...

51zYz6pzfyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

BTW. The pixelated photo in the article is ridiculous...
And fake. Apple will not make its remote even narrower, the current one is already borderline for many hands
mystery-remote-feature-2.jpg

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Lets also rumor the sky is falling while were at it :)

The unspecified future Apple remote, why would it have a center button? why would it look like something that's been done already by the same company?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.