Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
Has anyone had the chance to install tvOS 16? Any thing of note to report? HDR10+? Atmos fix?

Thanks for any info.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
The only thing I noticed is now my secondary users have to “update their Apple ID” by holding their phone or iPad with OS16 close to the device.

Problem is one of my users only has an iPad and iPadOS 16 hasn’t come out yet. Good work, Apple.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I’m installing it now, and will report back after while. Hopefully it will unscrew some of the screwups released in 15.6, but I’m not optimistic. After 15.6 was installed I started having a lot of issues with a few apps, mostly Philo TV, but Philo TV has always had some issues so it could be on their end more than tvOS.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I’ve updated now. It took quite a while, I guess the servers were busy at Apple what with the other OSes that were also released. I started iOS 16 a good while before tvOS 16, and iOS 16 is still installing.

For those who have never installed a tvOS update, after it finishes it takes a minute or so for the remote to work again. It will eventually start working again. Sometimes the remote gets a separate update.

So far everything seems okay. I’ll report back later after using some of the apps.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I’ve updated now. It took quite a while, I guess the servers were busy at Apple what with the other OSes that were also released. I started iOS 16 a good while before tvOS 16, and iOS 16 is still installing.

For those who have never installed a tvOS update, after it finishes it takes a minute or so for the remote to work again. It will eventually start working again. Sometimes the remote gets a separate update.

So far everything seems okay. I’ll report back later after using some of the apps.
I installed and have been using it. Have not yet noticed any new features.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
So far it has been okay. I haven’t seen anything new either. I haven’t heard what has been added so no clue what to look for, but no glitches yet.

Reactions: SalisburySam

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
So far it has been okay. I haven’t seen anything new either. I haven’t heard what has been added so no clue what to look for, but no glitches yet.
The photo app seems to better organize photos is the only new feature I have noticed.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
TVoS somewhat broke the UI of Disney+. Disney+ never updated to use the newer native player so all the controls for audio and subtitles were reached by swiping down. TVoS disabled swiping down in Disney+. Now to get to the audio/subtitles, I need to swipe up, move over to “settings” (which also fast forwards the video) and then choose that and it brings up the top menu. Basically Disney+ needs to update.

Playback works fine though.

thewarm

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Oh Oh
I just updated my Apple TV 4K 64GB unit to 16 and now have a major problem with Plex. I can NOT modify the 1st episode of ANY TV series!
I cannot change the watched status. I cannot move the highlighted item below the thumbnail. I can change watched status on all other episodes.
(time to go to the Plex forum...)
To clarify - The direction down does not function on any 1st episode since the update.

Last edited:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Installed and not seeing hdr+ or hi Def audio
Where would you expect to see HDR10+? Hardly any services use it and AFAIK, Apple claimed at one point it was coming to the Apple TV app not to tvOS as a whole. But the Apple TV app uses Dolby Vision for most content anyways.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
YouTube is as sucky as ever, perhaps even worse. Even before tvOS 16 it was screwing up when it transfers from ad to video content. The screen would go black and sometimes the first second or so of the content would be lost. That started recently under tvOS 15.6, but it was even worse last night with tvOS 16. Just one more reason to use the YouTube app on my Sony TV or the one on my Fire TV Cube. This YouTube war between Apple and Google is ridiculous!

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
YouTube is as sucky as ever, perhaps even worse. Even before tvOS 16 it was screwing up when it transfers from ad to video content. The screen would go black and sometimes the first second or so of the content would be lost. That started recently under tvOS 15.6, but it was even worse last night with tvOS 16. Just one more reason to use the YouTube app on my Sony TV or the one on my Fire TV Cube. This YouTube war between Apple and Google is ridiculous!
My parents use YouTube daily and are not experiencing this.

thewarm

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
I just got this from Plex...
"our tvOS dev was able to repro this on 16 ( not 15) and was looking into it. I updated the other topic about and hour ago. Just took another look at bug report and looks like they just made a fix. So after it goes through release process it will likely be in an update soon"

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
The new TvOS 16 seems to have killed Prime Video on my 4k ATV. Prime Video won't open but PV shows play if I double click them from the AppleTV next up list.

Anyone run into this?

• Wow
Reactions: orbital~debris

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
The new TvOS 16 seems to have killed Prime Video on my 4k ATV. Prime Video won't open but PV shows play if I double click them from the AppleTV next up list.

Anyone run into this?

I just tried it and it sat at the splash screen for a long time and eventually some screen in German, before it flashed an error code 24 and then loaded. So it loads, but badly. I think I saw that prior to upgrading to tvOS as I remember seeing the German error screen.

Reactions: GlenK

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
App Store was a bit broken after first upgrading. It seemed to think I had no purchases. Gave it a reboot and then it came good. I think it was the new multi user profiles which messed things up.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I just tried it and it sat at the splash screen for a long time and eventually some screen in German, before it flashed an error code 24 and then loaded. So it loads, but badly. I think I saw that prior to upgrading to tvOS as I remember seeing the German error screen.
Yes!! That at least got it loaded. I was just too impatient which is not unusual. Maybe PV needs an update if all of us have this!!! Thanks for the feedback.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Prime Video does seem a bit more sluggish than usual, but it loaded and played a video without issue. Philo TV is still having some issues. I’m also having issues with an app in iOS 16. Apple probably made some changes in their OSes that will need to be addressed by app developers.

Reactions: GlenK

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
The multi-user feature wasn't smooth for me. On first starting up I was asked to enter the password of another user. I managed to skip that. Then my wife appeared to be logged in which was unexpected. I then switched the login to me and my wife's account disappeared (I still saw the rest of my family). On another Apple TV my account showed up twice. I do suspect it will all settle down once things fully synchronize.

• Wow

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
It is nagging again today for my partner’s password, I already skipped this yesterday. I am the default user and my partner is only listed because they are in the shared Home. Their account can only be removed from Apple TV if I remove them from the Home. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.