Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Dude, Apple couldn’t make a more confusing product lineup if they tried. Starting to remind me of Samsung or LG.

Seriously. As someone who once owned 3 different versions of iPads and haven’t owned any in years, I have NO idea what models there currently are, what’s the best deal, and what features separate them all. I’d have to spend a few hours looking it up and researching it all myself. Why? Lol so dumb
[doublepost=1550467841][/doublepost]
In other news, Apple has no plans to release a OS for the iPads that actually leverages all that power.

Also true. they think it would cannibalize MacBook sales to allow iPads to run full Mac. I disagree and think they would boost each other as complimentary sales rather than an insufficient bridge.

Reactions: HJM.NL and vonj

vonj

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2016
I am tempting to get a fragile iPad Pro to replace my 9.7 iPad Pro. I guess Apple is planning to release a stronger one this year. I will patiently wait!
Aye Yeah I was thinking the same thing that I should just wait even doe I have no computer device now & I refuse to buy a MacBook until it gets faceID, OLED display , & Apple drops intel in 2020 supposedly

Last edited by a moderator:

vonj

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2016
Steve's simplicity is gone with Tim. He is a confused guy.
They should drop the the non Pro 9.7 iPad & just keep the two Pros & the 1 mini . I pod touches with 5.5 displays . Just the MacBook Air & the 2 Pros .2 iMacs & 2 iMac pros . 1 Apple display. 2 sizes Apple Watch . AirPods . HomePod . Apple TV Box . 2 New Apple Televisions with OLED or LCD . Mac . Mac Mini . Bring Back a Professional Photo App . Air Mat . (Plus Add USB C , FaceID to all products, & Add wireless Charging & The Taptic Engine to the IPad Pros with OLED displays . Plus some smart charging cords that only pairs with your phone for theft reasons . iPad only Software build from the ground up . Redesign IOS & Redesign Mac OS
[doublepost=1550468911][/doublepost]
As it stands, it’s a nice interim price between the iPad and iPad Pro. $329 to $799 is a massive jump in price points. But yea, i think it should go also. And to do that, I hope they increase the price of the 10.2” iPad (adding back bells and whistles like Face ID and Liquid Retina display) to fill that price void, while substituting the $329 iPad with a comparable iPad mini 5 at the same price.
We think alike . We should run Apple
[doublepost=1550469264][/doublepost]
The 10.2" would allow the App Store to gain revenue from Microsoft Office apps.
How??

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Because we need faster sync speeds with iTunes ;) The current sync speeds sync at snail speeds from 10 year ago.
[doublepost=1550473516][/doublepost]
10.5" iPad Pro should be discontinued. I'm surprised it hasn't been already.
That is a good size for retail businesses. Many retail businesses buy those for their businesses these days. Before you sign there is a tip option of 15% 18% 22% or No Tip Option;)

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Because we need faster sync speeds with iTunes ;) The current sync speeds sync at snail speeds from 10 year ago.
[doublepost=1550473516][/doublepost]
That is a good size for retail businesses. Many retail businesses buy those for their businesses these days. Before you sign there is a tip option of 15% 18% 22% or No Tip Option;)

I thought that Apple wanted us to do everything wirelessly now...

But seriously, I don’t do a huge amount of iTunes syncing.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I thought that Apple wanted us to do everything wirelessly now...

But seriously, I don’t do a huge amount of iTunes syncing.

I do.. Wirelessly is super slow as well. We got 40GBPS transfer speeds out of the MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 then a massive bottleneck squeeze with snail like speeds to and from the old lightning port :eek: Try syncing Calendars,Music,Photos and doing a regular backup during sync. Syncs can take forever which should not be the case these days and not for devices North of $1K either

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
What's confusing? Why not bother to spend a few minutes to read the specs that differentiate each variant model. Choice is a good thing.

When Apple makes their lineup too simple, like when iPhones used to come in only 2 colors, people bashed them for giving too few choices. When they expanded the choices and model options, people like you bash Apple for making the lineup too "confusing". :rolleyes:

You've just described marketing/consumer psychology 101. Too much choice is NOT a good thing.

Reactions: profets

Evamika

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
Take a break from pumping out new hardware and, instead, improve iOS since it doesn't even fully utilize previous hardware.

I do agree here. Seems to be quantity taking over quality.
The “new” iOS made my ipad worse than when I originally brought it.
These sort of news frighten me that my not so old iPad Pro will become obsolete before it even gets old.
And where they get this “99% customer satisfaction” sort of thing? Does anybody remember being asked by Apple how happy they are?

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London
I do agree here. Seems to be quantity taking over quality.
The “new” iOS made my ipad worse than when I originally brought it.
These sort of news frighten me that my not so old iPad Pro will become obsolete before it even gets old.
And where they get this “99% customer satisfaction” sort of thing? Does anybody remember being asked by Apple how happy they are?
I think they’ve only started recently to release surveys in numbers.
I’ve been asked when I bought my MBP, I’ve been asked when I got my iPad Pro 10.5, and I’ve been asked when I got the XS Max.
I wasn’t asked for the Mac mini but I only activated it two days ago, or any iPhone or iPad I bought before, and I’ve been buying them for years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Oled or no sale.

Then likely no sale for you. Because OLED doesn’t seem likely for the iPad, why? In general, it would just raise the cost even more for one, and I personally am fine with LCD technology on the iPad, which is almost been perfected over the years with Apple’s quality LCD panels. There really is nothing indicating OLED will be used on the iPad in the future from this point forward , I would say the next technology Leap will be ‘micro LED’.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Off topic, but I recently did a customer satisfaction survey for my credit card, this was one of the questions -
‘Overall, how would you rate the customer service you receive when using ******** branches regarding your **************?
If you haven't done this recently, please rate based on what you think the service would be like’

Seriously, what do I think the service would be like!

It really depends on what questions they ask and they don’t have to publish the results if they’re not good. They haven’t announced any results for the MacBooks recently.

Last edited:

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
...but why though?
I'm not sure if that was aimed at my comment about Apple not publishing the results of customer satisfaction surveys on MacBooks? If it was, there have been issues with the keyboards.

Last edited:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Dude, Apple couldn’t make a more confusing product lineup if they tried. Starting to remind me of Samsung or LG.

How much more bloated and confusing are Apple’s various product lines going to get?

How is it confusing?

You'll have:

iPad Mini (7.9" or possibly 8.4" if they apply the new iPP design)
iPad (10.2")
iPad Pro (11" and 12.9")

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm not sure if that was aimed at my comment about Apple not publishing the results of customer satisfaction surveys on MacBooks? If it was, there have been issues with the keyboards.

Not at all, it was a response aimed at the title of the thread...which I didn't read properly LOL

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How much more bloated and confusing are Apple’s various product lines going to get?

So, does the average consumer that walks into Apple or another retailer to purchase an iPad, looks at the displays like they’re confused? They’re not. They’re choosing what they want in terms of display size and features, that’s it. There’s no need to over complicate things by saying ‘bloated and confusing’ in your post, when it’s neither of those things.

Plus, Apple has a ‘compare feature’ on their website for those who are undecided as well which iPad best suites them, so that would eliminate the ‘confusing’ part that you’re even referring to.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
You know why. Everybody knows why. Geez.

Lightning is a massive inconvenience to consumers, especially to loyal Apple fans who love the ecosystem so much. Lightning is virtually the only thing that prevents modern Apple devices from working seamlessly with each other.

USB-C is the only acceptable port for future iOS devices.

That's odd, because:
- I don't know why;
- I am an Apple Fan and I love the ecosystem so much, yet I am not inconvenienced by lightning. Not massively. Not at all;
- My Apple devices work seamlessly with each other. I almost never have to connect them via cable.

Still, I suppose that if I had a 1Tb iPad full of data I would think differently. I imagine that lightning will be replaced by something else at some point, but the above is true for me, for now.
[doublepost=1550487607][/doublepost]
So, does the average consumer that walks into Apple or another retailer to purchase an iPad, looks at the displays like they’re confused? They’re not. They’re choosing what they want in terms of display size and features, that’s it. There’s no need to over complicate things by saying ‘bloated and confusing’ in your post, when it’s neither of those things.

Plus, Apple has a ‘compare feature’ on their website for those who are undecided as well which iPad best suites them, so that would eliminate the ‘confusing’ part that you’re even referring to.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Looking forward to your first post complaining that the Apps have not yet been optimised for your iPad xx.x".
[doublepost=1550487696][/doublepost]
How is it confusing?

You'll have:

iPad Mini (7.9" or possibly 8.4" if they apply the new iPP design)
iPad (10.2")
iPad Pro (11" and 12.9")

I've missed the rumour about the 9.7 and the 10.5 being discontinued in 2019.
Funny that many Apps never got optimised for the 10.5. Including the way some site are displayed by Safari.

Last edited:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I've missed the rumour about the 9.7 and the 10.5 being discontinued in 2019.

Neither have I, but this happens every year on here for iPhones, iPads and Macs (when they are released)

- Rumor about new models being introduced
- Everyone freaks out about a confusing lineup
- New models are released, old ones are discontinued
- Lineup is fine

Reactions: Hedwigg and plexdk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.