Typing on the iPhone 4 flat out sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onthecouchagain, Aug 12, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I know I'm not the only one whose typing experience on the iPhone 4 sucks. It just doesn't seem to be able to keep up with my thumbing speed -- I'm not typing insanely fast either though. It often misses key presses, resulting in words that look like "tis" or "ths" littered all over the place. It is frustrating.

And is it me, or did the 3GS keep up faster? I know a few other people who thumb pretty fast say the same thing about their iPhone 4's.

/vent

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I have never had this issue. I type fast all of the time on my iPhone. Autocorrect is both a blessing and a piece of crap.

3. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Love typing on the iPhone 4. Keeps up perfectly, dont know what your talking about.

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

See if it's not your screen protector that's interfering.

The iPhone 4 without a screen protector can take a respectable number of presses per second.

5. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

get a blackberry... your problem is solved

6. echo2011 macrumors regular

I had trouble with hitting a certain letter and the wrong one coming up...like three letters to the left or right of the intended letter...then one day my son mentioned my screen protector, ripped it off and presto! all was good again.

7. keepingup macrumors member

typing is so hard on iphone4

I've been using a blackberry tour for 5 years and type very fast on it. Traded it in for an iphone 4 a month ago and still cannot make any progress typing. I disabled the autotype function and that helped a tiny bit but I am still making many errors. I have tried typing horizontally and slowing down but I end up retyping every fourth or fifth word. It is very frustrating because I text a lot and enail pretty frequently on the road. I don't have a screen protector on. Any further advice??????

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

No problems here. It sounds like the OP is trying to type too fast. The iPhone will eat whatever speed you can give it.

9. Matthew9559, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I would keep autocorrect on. Though it is annoying at times you are better off (imo) keeping it on because you can miss a few letters and it will autocorrect to what you meant. I take less time by not being as accurate and relying on autocorrect to fix my mistakes. Typically, I am texting common words not text lingo lameness so it works very well.

At times though auto correct is a real ***** but you just need to slowdown and look at the word before you move onto next.

Once you get this pattern down it allows you to type quite fast. Like I said, you can quickly hit the keys and miss a few letting auto correct fix the problem.

At least that has been my experience... just yesterday someone mentioned how fast of a typist I was on the iPhone 4. Haha.

As for OP, I haven't had that type of issue. Used the past iPhone versions and never noticed anything switching to the iPhone 4.

10. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Dude. It's a ****ING cell phone, not a full sized keyboard. Jesus Christ, stop with these threads.

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I can type like a boss on my iPhone. Idk what you're talking about

12. boss.king, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm pretty sure it's user error.

EDIT: Unless there is a problem with your phone. Maybe try another one and see if that fixes anything.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Don't use thumbs. I never do, and my typing is fine.

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I only use thumbs (huge thumbs too) and my typing is pretty great.

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Mine can't keep up either. Mine is jail broken though, so that might have something to do with it.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Whenever my keyboard acts dumb like the OP's, I just reset the keyboard under settings.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

18. davedude macrumors member

ii hve nnnno probkms weigh myy iphon 5 keybrd it rites prfct evry time w/th nO rrors.

19. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Landscape or portrait, I'm a speed-typer on mine.

20. JonBook Pro macrumors member

Better than the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS in my opinion. Never liked that curved surface.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I guess there is an advantage to complete incompetence. I type with one finger, and can probably manage a fast 3-4 words a minute. My emails tend to be quite short, much to the delight of the recipients.

The phone is plenty fast for me!! :p ;)

22. rioja macrumors regular

Anytime I've experienced any slowdown in typing speed it's been the fault of the app I'm using. Some apps just freeze up when typing fast.

23. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502