Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

U.S. Apple Stores are pulling overnight shifts to put up new displays and promo materials for the iPhone 4S launch. @ifostore is standing in line and shot the above photo where the staff is exchanging old iPhone 4 models with the new iPhone 4S.

Meanwhile, other parts of the world have already seen the iPhone 4S launch, and to massive crowds. Smh.com.au has a running update of the launch in Australia. Even 4 hours after the launch, the line to the Sydney store was described as "appalling" going half way down King Street.

The Japanese launch was hampered by registration slowdowns from Softbank, according to the Wall Street Journal:
The launch of the iPhone 4S in Japan was interrupted when Softbank - the main service provider for Apple products in the country--suffered a server glitch that temporarily suspended sales nationwide. A company spokesman said the servers were unable to process registration information.
Analysts are predicting weekend sales to top that of the iPhone 4 which sold 1.7 million units its opening weekend. Estimates range from 2 million to as high as 4 million.

In the U.S., Apple Stores will be opening at 8 a.m. local time to launch the iPhone 4S. Additionally, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint stores will also be stocking the new device, but those retailers tend to get fewer units per store than Apple's stores. Gizmodo also notes that Radio Shack, Best Buy, Target and Sam's Club may have units, but your mileage may vary.

MacRumors forum members have been organizing meetups for the iPhone 4S launch in our dedicated forum.

Article Link: U.S. Apple Stores Opening at 8 a.m. for iPhone 4S Launch

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
i hope there will be enough somewhere to be able to pick one up. I won't be able to get out there until noonish...

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Damn it looks crazy. Anybody waiting in line?

I'm waiting in line at the Irvine Spectrum in California. I have about 8 people in front of me and I got here at 7pm. It is now 12:15am and there are many many people waiting behind me with tents, tv's and xBox 360's, yes I said an xBox!

I am having a great time doing Philosophy homework and talking to fellow Apple fans!

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I'd love to go and be first in line one day for a launch, not to be the first to buy the new device, but just to go in and look around the store. Confuse everyone!

markthrash

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Texass
I'd love to go and be first in line one day for a launch, not to be the first to buy the new device, but just to go in and look around the store. Confuse everyone!

"What a lovely day to window shop at The Apple Store. Geez, it's crowded. I wonder why..."

:p

dseig001

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
I wonder how many of those Occupy Wall street hipsters are lining up.

Obviously the group claiming to be the lower 99% isn't doing THAT bad.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Enjoy ya waiting... Your all mental!

*jealous* iPhone 4 owner... :)

cedunn21

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2011
I'd so wait in line if there was an apple store close by.... Didn't feel like driving 2 hours ... Luckily I preordered!

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
You just have to live in the right places!

Here in Australia we phoned our local Optus (mobile provider) store, not expecting them to have any left (last year we had to line up before opening and they had very limited stock) and we could get any size and colour we wanted! The joys of non-city areas. That said, I would love to get along to one of the big launches one day, just for the fun of it.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

For all the criticism (some justified) about the 2011 iPhone just being an "s" it is going to sell like mad.

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Do they have separate "iphone only" lines? Or does everybody who wants to shop Apple have to wait in line (the poor souls who want an accessory)?

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
4 million in one ****ing weekend? That would be absolutely insane. It wasn't long ago that 1 million was record-breaking.

FredV

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Considering the external hardware is the same, I'm thinking they were and have been able to pump these out of the factory like hot cakes, and thus they'll meet demand quite better than previous models, I didn't pre-order, but with targets, at&t's, radioshacks, even a Sam's clubs in my area, and it's a smaller town, I think I might have a chance at getting one today.

ThetaSigma

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2011
Gallifrey
Wow it looks like theres LOOADS of people at Covent Store in London :eek:

I hope everyone who lines up gets one! :)

Getting mines delivered :cool:

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
The Australian lines are probably that long because the pre-orders for Australia shipped late and probably won't arrive till mid next week.

EDIT: If you're in Australia and your order hasn't arrived try emailing Tim Cook, there's a good chance they'll compensate you with a $50 online store coupon.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I'm waiting in line at the Irvine Spectrum in California. I have about 8 people in front of me and I got here at 7pm. It is now 12:15am and there are many many people waiting behind me with tents, tv's and xBox 360's, yes I said an xBox!

I am having a great time doing Philosophy homework and talking to fellow Apple fans!

I've never camp out to Apple product opening before but I did camp out to Star Wars episode II when I was 16 lol. It was a fun experience. I remember there were people dress up as Jedi's and people having lightsaber fights. One of these days I have to do it again because I'm getting too old

BTW,
I bet everybody in line either has one of the following:
1. An iPod (any kind)
2. An iPhone
3. An iPad
4. A MacBook (Pro or Air)

fxscreamer

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
1 MONTH BEFORE NEW IPHONE LAUNCH

Week 1: Oh man, what a letdown. Apple totally failed. I'm getting Android.

Week 2: It's still a good phone, but totally not worth it to upgrade.

Week 3: Hmmm, I'm thinking about it, but man that 64GB is expensive!

Week 4: Been waiting in line in front of store for 3 weeks! CAN'T WAIT! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.