U.S. Senate Passes Bill to Cut Down on Robocalling

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The United States Senate today voted almost unanimously to approve an anti-robocalling bill that would cut down on the number of illegal robocalls that people receive.

The TRACED Act (Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence), first introduced in January, increases penalties for robocalls, provides authorities with more time to act, promotes the adoption of call authentication and blocking tools, establishes an interagency group for exploring additional scam call deterrents, and clears the way for criminal prosecution of robocallers.

[​IMG]

If the TRACED Act passes, individuals or companies who flout telemarketing restrictions could receive fines of up to $10,000 per call, and the FCC would have up to three years to prosecute after a robocall is placed, up from one year.

It would also require voice service providers to adopt call authentication technologies, which would let cellular carriers verify that incoming calls are legitimate before even reaching consumer phones, and it requires the FCC to create rules to help protect consumers from receiving unwanted calls or texts.

Some carriers like Verizon and T-Mobile have already implemented limited protection features that are designed to cut down on scam calls, but it's a pervasive problem that has only been growing worse in recent years.

Last year, an estimated 30 percent of all phone calls were spam calls, a number that could grow to 42 percent of all calls this year.

The FCC last week proposed new tools that would clear the way for mobile phone companies to block robocalls by default, and last year, the FCC called on companies to adopt call authentication systems for eliminating spoofed phone numbers.

The TRACED Act will now head to the House for consideration, where it is also likely to see similar support.

Article Link: U.S. Senate Passes Bill to Cut Down on Robocalling

2. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

Ah, thank goodness.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2019 ---
    How long have you been holding that one in? :p

3. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Put the top 5 needed bills:
    robocall
    law changes to immigration
    farmers
    two others

attached to a 2 YEAR CR or refuse the CR and insist on a budget.

4. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Yeah, good luck enforcing that on IP calls originating from Asia.

5. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Cut down? What does that mean, exactly?

Why do I get the feeling it won’t eliminate robocalls, but will simply push companies to use other methods to get around regulations?

6. jml12286 macrumors member

jml12286

7. poe diddley macrumors regular

wow. about time. i guess it takes robocalls to get these folks to work together

8. jasonhedgepeth macrumors newbie

jasonhedgepeth

I see what you did there... :)

9. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Why is this such a huge problem in the states, we do not have the problem here. (NL)

10. gsurf123 macrumors regular

11. evan-macrumors macrumors newbie

evan-macrumors

12. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

How about a law that imposes penalties on the carriers instead, to force them to fix the problem rather than waiting for their announced voluntary efforts to come to fruition.

13. justperry, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Wow, this seems to be a huge problem in the States, good they're doing something about it.

14. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Robocallers should go to jail. Especially the ones who scrape data from various places and disturb vulnerable old people with hoax calls and financial scams.

15. hagar macrumors 6502a

Because we have EU privacy laws.

16. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Yes and it should not be allowed that someone in another continent can use a phone number that looks local.

17. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Doubt that is the reason, it's got to be more/something else.

18. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

19. Mimiron macrumors member

20. NMBob macrumors 6502a

It affects them too. If it doesn't they don't worry about it.

21. ikramerica macrumors 6502

Right around april 15 I got a call every hour claiming to be from the IRS. Then two weeks later a call every hour claiming to be from the SSA and that my SSN was “suspended.” Those were robots reading words and not doing a very good job.

My wife and I both get occasional calls of a chinese recording screaming at us in chinese.

Funny thing is my Vonage number never gets these calls. Only my cell. Both are on the federal DNC register. Vonage just does a better job of blocking.

22. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

More interested in the technical proactive measures rather than reactive. So far, using Google Voice which is the base for new Google Calling Screening has worked rather well with global spam blocking, requiring name announcement before letting call through to filter out robocallers, complete blocking of number that gives "number is no longer in service" to calling party, etc. plus it's cross-platform so works on iOS, Android and desktop browser. Just need anti-spoofing but that's more of a telco infrastructure issue.

23. NMBob macrumors 6502a

So how much is this going to cost us over and above the cost of donotcall.gov?

24. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020