U.S. Senate Passes Bill to Cut Down on Robocalling

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2019.

1. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

But the robots are often more pleasant and courteous than the humans are. :confused:

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

They should be affected by a lot more than this......we all would have a better life.

3. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

I never had this happen here in Germany. Meanwhile I got a SIM card in Miami and got calls from Cuba on a daily basis like wth

4. Solver macrumors 6502a

Without reading the details this sounds like a good idea.

5. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

I just hope there's something (anything) in iOS 13 related to handling calls like this.

6. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Same here, but we do get some calls from for instance utility providers and the like, but you can get around this by registering your number with a do not call registry, it helps a lot, they get fined €5000 if they still do without your consent.

7. CPx macrumors 6502a

Interesting that our European friends here don't seem to have this problem. I didn't know this was such a US-specific thing. Anyway, I hope somebody figures out something on how to fix it.

8. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

What does "passing a law" do? Was law enforcement able to catch these guys & not able to prosecute for lack of laws so far? If law enforcement cannot catch the crooks, then any law is not worth the paper its written on...

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I hope this actually does something, I don’t even pick up the phone anymore from numbers that aren’t in my contacts.

10. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Hopefully this one is enforced unlike some of the other laws we have that they turn a blind eye to.

11. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Finally, something both parties can agree to.

12. MengkeMary macrumors member

MengkeMary

This is really a good news!

I still remember last year when I received way too many spam calls after an online insurance quote. It was so annoying that I tried all kinds of blocking apps to reduce the number of spams. It is really easy to miss important calls when you thought it is yet another spam. But using apps only is not enough since they use dynamic numbers.

Finally, I gave up and changed my phone number.

13. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

One of the reasons might be that most countries in Europe don't have/use English as their main language.

A related one, we mostly (almost always) get contacted by local native service instead of Indians or services based in other English speaking countries (Low cost), not that most of us can't understand/speak English, reason might be we just don't want it or think service should be local amongst other reasons.

*European friends: Thanks for being so polite.

14. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

It is a UK problem too, although it sounds like it is much worse in the US. I guess it is one of those rare occasions where speaking English is a negative rather than positive (making it easier for scammers to target us).

15. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’d appreciate political groups be removed from the Do Not Call registry exception list.

16. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

Call me jaded, but some way, somehow, this will create a monetary opportunity for business ... and to get what we expect from this it will cost us in one form or another. Don't ever think the Government is here to protect us little guys just because they're our heroes (hint, they're not :eek:)

17. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Seems like I was right, it seems to be a language related problem.
    (Post above yours)

18. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The main problem is that you could call anyone in the world and have your number show up as the Whitehouse for example. So if technologies are implemented that make that impossible, it would cut down most of these dodgy calls overnight. Then for the rest, they can be traced and punished. I wish the UK would implement this (which would actually be a lot easier because we basically have one telephone company (BT).

19. Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

I see what you did there...

20. konqerror, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019

konqerror macrumors 6502a

The issue is US phone calls are significantly cheaper than European calls. The US FCC has been restricting the cost that a long distance carrier pays to another in order to terminate the call for more than 2 decades. It actually has been set to zero recently, eliminating the main cost of long distance calls.

This is in direct contrast to many parts of Europe that have calling party pays on cell phones, which means a single call can be a few cents per minute. Compare to US wholesale long distance rates on the order of 0.06 cents/min (6 cents per 100 min). That is, you can make easily 50 calls in the US for the price of 1 in Europe.

21. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Anyone who has taken the time to actually read the bill would agree that it does absolutely nothing to curb robocalls and spam texts. Zero.

Among the highlights:
    • No criminal penalties for robocalls or spoofing phone numbers - instead the civil penalties increase from $1,500 to $10,000 per call (people who engage in robocalls could care less about potential penalties)
    • telecoms can obtain exemptions and extensions to the requirement to provide call screening and blocking to consumers - it will be years before we get theses tools, if ever.
    • consumers can't pursue individual actions against spammers and robocallers - critical given how ineffective the FCC has been in enforcing the Do Not Call list
    • no changes to give some teeth to the useless Do Not Call list and associated regulations
    Should have been voted down 99-0. It wasn't because as the comments here prove, it's all about optics in the minds of the voters, and this "looks good."
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2019 ---
    Charging for phone calls is not the solution. It's time to put people in prison.

22. RudySnow Suspended

RudySnow

That’s about as smart of an idea as fining consumers who answer these calls. The carriers can’t stop every single call.

If the carriers get fined, who do you think will actually pay the penalties?

Oh, yeah—back to my first sentence.

23. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

You'll never see that because it's the political groups that created the ridiculous exception that makes zero sense.
    It can't be enforced. Robocallers and spammers are generally based overseas, unidentifiable, or are scumbags who could care less about civil judgments. There are no criminal penalties so no one has to worry about prison time.
    Read the details.

24. konqerror macrumors 6502a

Most of these calls come from shady VOIP providers who buy minutes through layers of middlemen. Just search "short duration termination". Legit carriers impose a hefty fee if the average call length is too short; the major one we use at work requires a 1 minute average length (1 second rounding) or the fine is something like 1.5 cents per call with threats of service cancellation.

25. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

then fees will be passed to customers as this problem is difficult to solve