U.S. Senate Passes Bill to Cut Down on Robocalling

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
By your logic the government should never regulate or penalize any of our already regulated industries for fear the costs would be passed on to customers. Stockholm syndrome much?
Again, to assume that these telecoms aren’t already working to prevent robocalls but just assuming so is irresponsible. When did I say governments shouldn’t regulate bad practices? Telecoms aren’t robocalling anyone!

Your line of reasoning is just another tax-the-rich scheme without a barebones understanding of who makes a profit for theses companies in the first place. Use your noggin’ now.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
The only real solution is to make it technically impossible to spoof numbers. The penalties don't matter.
Yup, preventing number spoofing is the only real way to stop or at least vastly decrease robocalling. All the DNC list did is stop legitimate companies, while would a scammer that is breaking the law care about violating the DNC.

Reactions: RudySnow

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
Yeah, good luck enforcing that on IP calls originating from Asia.
If the call authentication provided a user means to auto-reject un authenticated calls, it would not be an issue. Many people such as myself don't answer unknown numbers as it is. Auto-rejecting would help us avoid the ring altogether.

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
Again, to assume that these telecoms aren’t already working to prevent robocalls but just assuming so is irresponsible. When did I say governments shouldn’t regulate bad practices? Telecoms aren’t robocalling anyone!
Where did I say I assume they aren't already working on it. In fact in my OP I talked about their voluntarily efforts underway. This issue has been growing for several years so they clearly haven't been as motivated about the issue as their customers are.

Your line of reasoning is just another tax-the-rich scheme without a barebones understanding of who makes a profit for theses companies in the first place. Use your noggin’ now.
Your talking-point machine appears to be out of wack. Maybe give it a few taps. What do taxes have to do with the issue?

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yup, preventing number spoofing is the only real way to stop or at least vastly decrease robocalling. All the DNC list did is stop legitimate companies, while would a scammer that is breaking the law care about violating the DNC.
How does that list even work? Wouldn't be surprised if the act of registering on it gives my number out to every spammer. The only other way it could work is if the gov't kept their database private and offered a "check if a given number is on the list" service with rate limiting, which sounds unlikely.

Last edited:

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
Interesting that our European friends here don't seem to have this problem. I didn't know this was such a US-specific thing. Anyway, I hope somebody figures out something on how to fix it.
When I lived in the UK all callers to cell phones had to pay 0.10 £

Reactions: CPx

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
Where did I say I assume they aren't already working on it. In fact in my OP I talked about their voluntarily efforts underway. This issue has been growing for several years so they clearly haven't been as motivated about the issue as their customers are.

Your ideological talking-point machine appears to be out of wack. Maybe give it a few taps. What do taxes have to do with the issue?
Genius—force a company to do something they may or may not yet have the technology to do. And then, when they don’t do what they can or cannot do, the government should fine them to... not fix the problem.

Don’t jump the gun and blame the telecoms for a money grab that doesn’t solve the damn problem.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Who would vote against this?
I agree. The problem often arises when any one of hundreds of lawmakers take a bill that's obvious to pass and add in a $5million pork barrel project for their friend's cement business and another $3 million for their daughter's research on the best temperature for paint to dry in Antarctica. Forgive me for giving politicians bad ideas.

Reactions: fairuz

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Because we have EU privacy laws.
you also have annoying pop-up windows on every website I visit telling me the site uses cookies (duh), and making me accept it to continue.
[doublepost=1558661312][/doublepost]
What does "passing a law" do? Was law enforcement able to catch these guys & not able to prosecute for lack of laws so far? If law enforcement cannot catch the crooks, then any law is not worth the paper its written on...
seems identical to all the anti-spam email laws they have passed. We know how effective those have (not) been....

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
The fix is so simple even Apple could do it. Let me go to settings and send all calls not in my contact list to voicemail without ringing.
I don't get why this isn't built in. Spammers or not, there's no reason I'd want random people to be able to buzz my phone for 60 seconds and interrupt me entirely if I happen to be using it.
[doublepost=1558661598][/doublepost]
you also have annoying pop-up windows on every website I visit telling me the site uses cookies (duh), and making me accept it to continue.
Lmao, that and Windows having to not come with Windows Media Player preinstalled. Great job, EU regulators.
Wonder if I can set up my adblockers to block the cookie acceptance boxes.

Reactions: MajikMarker

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Ron Paul, Libertarian. Have not read his reason, but he was the only no vote (I found).
Likely something about the market being able to decide out how to deal with it. People switch to whatever carrier fixes it. Or he just thinks the bill is ineffective, which I might agree with.
[doublepost=1558661918][/doublepost]
Is google Duplex classed as a robo call.
Lol. Probably not cause it comes from the person's phone, but I'd wish so. If someone wants to call me, he can frikin do it himself.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Likely something about the market being able to decide out how to deal with it. People switch to whatever carrier fixes it. Or he just thinks the bill is ineffective, which I might agree with.
Ever since I switched to T-mobile, the caller ID for a lot of my calls says "scam likely"... Which is pretty cool. Never had that before with Verizon or AT&T...

Edit: now if they could take it a step further, and add option to block...

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
How about not just allowing the FCC to fine them. Allow the people to sue them directly for $10k per unsolicited call.:D

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Why is this such a huge problem in the states, we do not have the problem here. (NL)
It probably has to do with the fact that 340 million people live here, and only 17 million people live there. Plus the US is the wealthiest nation in the world, thus more money to scam for.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
I have cut it down myself using AT&T CallProtect as well as RoboKiller. Now it is bliss from my phone again.

kiko69

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
I keep getting calls from Apple with Apple support they are claimnng that my iColud account as been hacked. It has 2 factor auth so it has not been hacked.

I have even had calls from my own cell number, prior to the ATT call protect.

Also, I work for a Telco, this law will not fix anything but STIR/SHAKEN will once it is implemented between all the carriers, each US number will have a certificate and if there is no certificat the call cannot be routed unless it is to 911.

The down side to STIR/SHAKEN, it will cost a ton of money to implement

neliason

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Pretty sad that with the government’s spy network that intercepts all emails and phone calls we have to put up with this. It really demonstrates the fact that government isn’t really motivated to fix problems.

To be clear, I am not in favor of the various spy programs. I’m just pointing out that with the technology the government has there is no way this should be a problem we deal with. Or alternatively, it could be that the alphabet soup agencies are easily thwarted by a bunch of scammers from India and China. Either way we pay a lot of taxes and get nothing good from it.

Surfer13134

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
This will do nothing. The media has shown that these scammers can pack up and open in a new location in hours. By the time they track them down, get the local government and policing agencies involved they will be at a new location. Speculation is the India government is involved as well so tell me how it's going to stop. Now if the government holds the carriers responsible then maybe we can start to see changes. Only allowed confirmed IP numbers contact numbers, block the calling software etc.