U.S. Senate Passes Bill to Cut Down on Robocalling

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2019.

1. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

Got a robocall at 3:25AM this morning - this can't take effect soon enough!

2. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502a

nouveau_redneck

I have my phone set to auto do-not-disturb 10:30 PM - 6:15 AM just for the reason you pointed out. Robocalls are toxic to sleep. It helps that I no longer have a job that requires answering calls in the middle of the night.

3. NufSaid macrumors regular

NufSaid

So to go a little political. But congress finally stops the partisan bickering and investigating and gets on with legislation that has a positive impact.

4. sentiblue macrumors regular

We have 100 Senators but only 98 votes. I guess 2 of them voted blank. 97 Senators voted to support this bill, except one who voted against. Wonder if this guy runs some of those robocall operations?
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2019 ---
    Only one person voted against:
    Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky

5. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I usually do, but had it turned off to hear alerts from an Arlo baby monitor!

6. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502a

nouveau_redneck

Good reason. Yep, we need to make robocalls a thing of the past.

7. xpxp2002 macrumors regular

There should just be a blanket ban on those. Offer consumers an individual opt-in option to allow those calls to come through. I guarantee 99% of Americans have no desire to receive any call from another continent, aside possibly from family members or close friends who could be whitelisted.

8. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

And this will change absolutely nothing. Remember the Do Not Call list? That had penalties, etc. None of them are enforced. This, just like the DNC list is a giant waste of time and nothing more than an opportunity for our do-nothing government to pat themselves on the back.

9. w5jck macrumors regular

w5jck

In many states like Texas the citizens are treated like peasants while business gets whatever they want. We have gillions of laws protecting businesses and allowing them to have their way with us, but very little protection from businesses, especially the BIG Businesses. Big Business owns the politicians here.

10. UnusedLoginID macrumors regular

We had telemarketing calls to landlines in the US way before Europe. I know from personal (and my family and friends expert). Now my brother - in France - tells me they’re inundated with these calls.
    So brace yourself, the tide is coming to you!
    Unfortunately with IP calls, they can easily be rerouted from a US server so it may be hard to determine they’re from a specific country.
    I mean, I get calls with voicemails in Chinese and the number that shows up is a local number.
    The issue is spoofing, which we’re familiar with when using VPN.

11. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Rand Paul will vote down literally anything that involves the government regulating damn near anything (which makes me wonder why he's so anti-woman, I refuse to call it pro-file).

12. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

buy hundreds of prepaid $20 android phones. install robodialing software. do spam calls. broke your method.

13. kironin macrumors 6502a

kironin

Definitely should get Rand Paul's phone numbers out there so HE can enjoy the lovely fun of having robocallers spoofing local area code numbers while calling my business cell phone many times a day. This bill is long overdue. The only way I can deal with it now is to have Nomorobo running all the time and that's not enough so I have to have Do Not Disturb with the Allow Calls from All Contacts turned on, and I have to be good about getting new contacts in my iphone in a timely manner so their call goes through.

14. hudson1 macrumors 6502

You want the government deciding which calls can get through to you and which can't? That's the N. Korea approach to phone service.
    Latest IMF data claims US per capita GDP as $65K. Netherlands as $58K.

But this is a pointless exercise anyway as purchasing power parity, currency swings, etc. can rearrange these things in a hurry. Next year, those numbers could easily be reversed and no one on the ground would know the difference.

One thing that is reliable is the US has the highest total GDP at ~$21 trillion and that will always attract people trying to make money off of others.

15. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

16. Raketemensch macrumors member

Raketemensch

The problem isn't laws, the problem is enforcement.

17. nad8e macrumors regular

Huh. I'd say 90% of the phone calls I receive are spam calls.

I'd vote for legislation approving robocallers fingers to be cut off with a rusty, dull hack saw.

18. 1984 macrumors 6502a

I had to laugh when I saw one person voted against it because I knew without looking who it was.

19. genovelle macrumors 6502a

I believe it is that simple. Our laws tend to leave loopholes to make sure they don’t limit companies like Google in what they might want to do for the sake of commerce. Telecoms haven’t moved aggressively into certain methods because there was a legal uncertainty based on our laws. Clear and decisive legislation removes the doubt.

20. fairuz, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Just because a bill is aimed at cutting down on robocalling doesn't mean it's going to be effective/worthwhile. It's like the UN passing resolutions "strongly condemning" ISIS. IDK if this bill is worthwhile cause I haven't read it.

21. Alan Wynn macrumors 6502

That is exactly how it works.

22. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Which, giving the list out or providing a rate-limited lookup service?

23. castlema macrumors member

Very true. Given my choice I would automatically block all VoIP calls.

24. Alan Wynn macrumors 6502

It is a look up service. I am not sure how rate limited it is.

25. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

This has been tried before. Good luck!

Hey, sign up for the "National Do Not Call" registry. That worked so well. :rolleyes: