Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Which Model are you getting?

• Total voters

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
IUP - money up front, bigger monthly payments ( but less to pay off after a year) and you have to do in store

24 month - can pre auth, smaller monthly payments (bigger balance left after a year), can be all done online
….you’d still need to go in store though to collect and swap phones if you chose the Barclays Finance route.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I’m also tempted to skip this year (I skipped the upgrade from iPhone XS to iPhone 11 so went from XS to 12).

BUT - nothing is certain until AFTER tomorrow night‘s Keynote!!!

I felt mighty proud to have been a part of the whole thing though and it’s a nice feeling knowing when the day comes we are all waiting for our device patiently and going through the same experiences. Plus seeing the delivery day pictures coming through is fun to see!

Reactions: Dino F

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
….you’d still need to go in store though to collect and swap phones if you chose the Barclays Finance route.

You can get home delivery if you pre auth the finance.

If you’re doing IUP then you’d need to swap in store or sign up to new there.. but you can preorder

Masterman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2016
United Kingdom
I’m also tempted to skip this year (I skipped the upgrade from iPhone XS to iPhone 11 so went from XS to 12).

BUT - nothing is certain until AFTER tomorrow night‘s Keynote!!!
And another who’s tempted to skip 👋

Other than a smaller notch, what actually would the difference be? A ‘better’ camera? A faster chip? Because do you really open up an app on a 12 pro and think ‘this could be faster…’

And these iphone 14 rumours haven’t helped, do I I just hold out for that?

I’m wanting to upgrade form my series 4 watch this year so I might just do that and then upgrade the phone next year, but on the other hand, after getting in on the £850 Amazon mess up last year would it not make sense to sell my 12 Pro at £630 to MM and only take a £220 loss / pay £370 for a 13 pro compared to paying what would be £520 for a 13 Pro had I not got the amazon price

Like you say though, until the keynote tomorrow who knows! talk about first world problems! 😅

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Spoke to loyalty a few days ago, they said they had a notice sent around advising they will not be waive the upgrade fee.

I'm in the same position, my year isn't up until the 1st Jan 22. Looking forward to the challenge of getting that £100 off.
Surly there fee is standard £100 if it has not been a year, but the dispute here is the iPhone 13 is being released 1 month earlier. You upgrade a 3 months after release so you might have to pay?

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
And another who’s tempted to skip ?

Other than a smaller notch, what actually would the difference be? A ‘better’ camera? A faster chip? Because do you really open up an app on a 12 pro and think ‘this could be faster…’

And these iphone 14 rumours haven’t helped, do I I just hold out for that?

I’m wanting to upgrade form my series 4 watch this year so I might just do that and then upgrade the phone next year, but on the other hand, after getting in on the £850 Amazon mess up last year would it not make sense to sell my 12 Pro at £630 to MM and only take a £220 loss / pay £370 for a 13 pro compared to paying what would be £520 for a 13 Pro had I not got the amazon price

Like you say though, until the keynote tomorrow who knows! talk about first world problems! ?

Do you have a 12 Pro? The main reason I upgrade every year because the depreciation vs other smart phones is not so bad. SO every year I can get the latest iPhone for £600. This year sold my iPhone on MM for £630, assuming 256gb model is £1200ish like this year, it'll cost me £570.

So even if the iPhone was not great, I would still upgrade.

Edit: I also paid £849 at Amazon miss price, but the value of the phone is £1200 can't call it £849 when I am looking at depreciation

Masterman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2016
United Kingdom
Do you have a 12 Pro? The main reason I upgrade every year because the depreciation vs other smart phones is not so bad. SO every year I can get the latest iPhone for £600. This year sold my iPhone on MM for £630, assuming 256gb model is £1200ish like this year, it'll cost me £570.

So even if the iPhone was not great, I would still upgrade.

Edit: I also paid £849 at Amazon miss price, but the value of the phone is £1200 can't call it £849 when I am looking at depreciation
I do, upgraded every year since I went sim free on the X, so then the 11 pro, 12 pro and now would be looking at the 13 pro

there really is in all honesty, no difference to what my X did and what my 12 pro can do

I know if I bought a 13 Pro I’d do the exact same as the last 2 years and after an hour or so with the phone think to myself ‘didn’t need this’ :confused:

but, like you say the main reason I do it is due to the price depreciation, I’d rather sell the phone for more this year and pay less for a 13, than sell the phone for less next year and end up paying more for the 14

I’d be getting the 128gb though so I’m hoping they’re the same price, just wish I’d realised all 3 sizes were £849 on amazon before I panic bought one quickly before they removed them, for those who managed to get a 512gb for £849 must be cashing in now!

mrandyyu

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Birmingham, UK
You can trade in remotely.

I collected the phone in person where it was treated like any other normal order.

They then sent me a trade-in pack to send my outgoing phone across. From memory, the pack was similar if not identical to the remote warranty packs.

Reactions: Dino F and Jinjin

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
F011B126-8211-4227-8510-5C565FB044E4.gif

Almost time. Going to be a long day!

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
You can get home delivery if you pre auth the finance.

You can trade in remotely.

I collected the phone in person where it was treated like any other normal order.

They then sent me a trade-in pack to send my outgoing phone across. From memory, the pack was similar if not identical to the remote warranty packs.

Never realised you could do this so thanks for the heads up. 👍🏼

View attachment 1830781

Almost time. Going to be a long day!
TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Really on the fence about upgrading this year.

I have the 12 pro on a 24 month installment plan through Apple so have one year to run on it.

It's still like new in terms of condition and performance.

Can I really be bothered with the hassle of starting a new plan, selling this one, paying the old plan off?

Really not sure, especially with the early rumours of the 14 looking like a huge jump in design

• Love
Reactions: Dino F

DarknessUK

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2015
Wonder how they will handle those on the Upgrade program - as I did not get my handset until November when they allowed us into Apple stores in Scotland again.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Is it worth getting AppleCare+ if you pre-order? The last Mac I owned was over a decade ago and the last iPhone I owned was the iPhone 3G so I'm a bit behind the times when it comes to Apple stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.