Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Splashing the cash this September?

• Total voters

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
So its nearly that time of year again! A few rumours going around and they'll only get stronger as we get closer to September. I'll update this with more accurate information as it comes in. The model names are a guess seeing no one really has a clue yet!

Times and prices etc will be BST and in Pounds (£) respectively.

Please consider checking the FAQ section at the bottom of this thread before asking a question. I’ll keep it updated with the most popular questions, so that the answers are quick and easy to find.

Latest news
Latest summary for this year's devices can be found here

2018 iPhones

OLED Models - Rumours point to two OLED models this year

5.8" OLED - iPhone XS

Taking the same form factor as the existing iPhone X

Pricing (tbc)

Unlocked, Contract-Free prices
  • 64GB - £999
  • 256GB - £1149
  • 512GB - ???
6.5" OLED - iPhone XS Max

The new larger model debuting this year rumoured to take the same size as the current iPhone 8 Plus but with a 6.5" OLED screen.

Pricing (tbc)

• 64GB - £1099
  • 256GB - £1249
  • 512GB - ???

Available in Silver and Space Grey and a rumoured gold with a possible third 512GB tier.

LCD Model - new rumoured 'affordable' model for 2018

6.1" LCD - iPhone XR

Unlocked, Contract-Free iPhone XR
  • 64GB - £699
  • 128GB - £849
  • 256GB - ???

Rumoured to be available in colours that include black, white, red, yellow, coral and blue

You can use this thread to discuss the UK price points, pre-orders and dispatch of the new iPhones, unlocked from Apple and through UK network carriers.

Please post to let everyone know if you were able to get your pre-order through to Apple, and if you had any problems. Let us know when your online order status changes - e.g. Order Processing, Preparing for Shipment, Dispatched and eventually Delivered. Last year it was useful for people to update their signatures to display their current status to avoid the endless posts asking for 'whats your status?'

Feel free to discuss cases and accessories too!

FAQ
When is the Keynote?

The 2018 keynote being Wednesday, September 12 at 18:00(BST) @ the Steve Jobs Theater at the company's new Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California. This is a move from the usual Tuesday due to the significance of the September 11th date.

Where can I watch the Keynote?

The Keynote can be streamed online on apple.com here

Where can I watch a replay of the keynote?

The replay of the keynote can be watched online [link tbc]

There is also a spoiler free link to the replay here. I usually bookmark this page to go directly too later on in the day to watch the announcement without hearing/reading anything else.

What time do pre-orders start?

Pre-orders usually start the friday following the keynote, so that would assume be:
  • Friday, September 14 at 08:01(BST) (TBC)

When is the official launch?

When there are no delays in production etc, models are usually available one week after pre-orders start. If this continues to be the case then it wold be:
  • Friday, September 21 (TBC)
Should I pre-order from the desktop store, or mobile app?
Historically the app is has been more stable when pre-orders first start, compared to the desktop store. Honestly I've never had much luck in the last few years of ordering to get the first batch of phones.. I've given up trying to guess!

Can I reserve for collection in store?

With previous launches there has ben an option to reserve for in-store pickup. After the official release day there has also been an option to check stock at individual stores and reserve.

How do I know if stores have certain stock available?

last year @l3uddz had a great little php application that integrated with PushBullet and sent push notifications when certain stock was available. I'll update here if it gets working again this time around. iStockNow also have great tracking and notifications for stock and also cover non-apple retailers.

Will my iPhone order be delivered on the Launch Date?

This will all depend on any stock constraints. If you are lucky to get in a pre-order and the estimated delivery shows the 21st (TBC), then you will get your phone on that day. If the shipping dates start to push out then you will have to unfortunately wait. Apple's estimated delivery dates are pretty accurate but they have had recent history in bringing forward some orders which has missed the initial launch day release

Is there a limit to how many iPhones I can order?

Apple typically imposes a limit of ordering 2 iPhones per Apple ID.

Will my order be delayed if I order a case/Apple Care with the iPhone?

In the past, people have experienced delays in receiving their orders if they order any accessories along with the phone. It is recommended that you order the iPhone separate to any accessories to avoid the potential delay.

Once I pre-ordered, Apple placed a hold on the funds in my account but released it a few days later without taking the money. Is there something wrong with my order?

When you pre-order from Apple and pay by credit or debit card, Apple will at some point place a ‘hold’ on the amount with your card company. This checks you've got the funds, and stops you spending them. However, a hold only lasts a few days, after which time your card company will automatically make the funds available to you to spend again. When you see this happen, it is nothing to worry about, it DOES NOT mean Apple has cancelled your order. Apple will not take the money out of your account until the day of shipping.

Apple has taken funds buy my order still shows 'preparing for dispatch'?
Pre-orders which are due for launch day delivery will usually see a change of order status to dispatched the day before delivery. Launch day stock is typically sitting at Apple's logistics partner, Syncreon, in Hinkley. The devices are handed over to a local courier (DPD or UKMail) from around the afternoon onwards on the day before. From this point your tracking would become active.

What courier will my order be delivered by?

On past releases, people who have been lucky enough to snag a launch day pre-order are likely to have their orders shipped from Syncreon in Hinkley. These deliveries and then usually handled by UK Mail and UPS.
Orders which have missed the launch date typically come direct from factory via UPS.

My order has been shipped with UPS, how can I track it?

On your order page there will be a tracking number starting with ‘1Z’, simply copy and paste it into the tracking box on the UPS website and it should display your tracking results. Please note that tracking numbers may take some time to become active.

My order has been shipped with UK Mail, how can I track it?

If your tracking number starts with '309', enter it into the UK Mail Tracking Page. Entering your post code is not required, however if you do enter it then you'll be able to change your delivery date or select to pick your order up at your nearest depot. If your tracking number doesn't start with '309', select the 'Customer reference' option and then enter your tracking details along with your post code. UK Mail should text you with a one hour delivery window, and you can view delivery progress online.

My order has been shipped with Syncreon, how can I track it?

Enter your 'Delivery Number' in the 'Order No/Delivery No' box on the Syncreon tracking page, and your Apple order number (starts with W) in the ‘’Web Order No’’ box. If your tracking number starts with '309' you will then be able to track it to delivery on the UK Mail Tracking Page. Please note that tracking numbers may take some time to become active.

How can I pay for my iPhone?
Apple has a few different ways to pay or finance your purchase. These are:

iPhone Payments - https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/sales-support/iphonepayments_uk/
  • 20 Monthly payments at 0% APR
  • £69 up front
  • No Apple Care
  • No yearly upgrades
  • In-store only. (I'm sure people were able to pre-order online, and then 'refund' and buy again)
  • Subject to status

iPhone Upgrade Programme - https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program
  • 20 monthly payments at 0% APR
  • £69 up front
  • Apple Care+ has to be taken
  • Able to upgrade phone after 11 payments when trading in existing phone
  • In-store only. (I'm sure people were able to pre-order online, and then 'refund' and buy again)
  • Subject to status

Apple Finance - https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/financing

Barclays
  • online financing decision
  • 14.9% APR
  • Choose an instalment period of 3 to 18, 24 or 36 equal monthly payments.
PayPal
  • 14.9% interest rate p.a. fixed for the duration of the instalment plans.
  • Choose an instalment period of 6 to 12, 18 or 24 equal monthly payments.
  • Standard rate of 17.9% applies to transactions made outside of any instalment plans.

Pay in Full
  • Pay in full online or in store using credit card, debit card, Apple Pay, PayPal or Apple Store Gift Cards

What is iPhone Fast Charging?

The science behind it

• Watt (W): Total power and capacity of either a battery or an adapter.
  • Amps (A): The current at which power can flow between a charger and a battery.
  • Voltage (V): The amount of power being pushed from an adapter.
When you charge an iPad, iPhone, or computer, you're resupplying its battery (measured in watt-hours) from a power source like a wall outlet, usually via an adapter. That adapter controls how much power you can get (volts) from that outlet, and the speed at which you get it (amps). Those two factors multiplied result in the adapter's total available power.

Remember it's not about total watts — it's all about the amps and voltage. Modern iPhones and iPads support charging up to a current of 2.4A at 5V, while older devices charge around 1A at 5V. To get the best adapter for your device, you want one that charges at the appropriate amps (1-2.4A) while supplying the right amount of voltage.

A 5W iPhone adapter will pull just 1 amp at 5V, for instance, while USB ports on a computer can deliver 0.5-2 amps, and the 12W iPad adapter can deliver up to 2.4 amps.

The new 29W USB-C Adapter is special because it supports 5V charging at 2.4A (~12W), but it also supports USB Power Delivery for compatible devices, which allows them to charge at a much higher voltage (14.5V) and lower amps (2A). Because the amps are lower while the voltage is higher, it's more efficient from an electrical standpoint andoffers more power to devices that can take advantage of the technology.

What do I need for the iPhone?

To get the Optimum Charging times for your iPhone you will need the 29W USB-C charger and a USB-C to lighting Cable.

Its likely that 3rd party chargers and cables would work too.

Wireless Charging

What is iPhone Wireless Charging?

The new iPhones will support wireless charging using the Qi (chee) standard. Qi wireless charging uses inductive charging technology, which involves two coils of copper wire (with a core of iron) - one in the device you are charging (or in a caseattached to that device) and one in a pad or mat on which you lie the device. When you put the two coils next to each other an electromagnetic field is created and that allows electricity to be passed between the two coils. While the two devices need to be touching or within very close proximity, the coils can be sealed within the devices.

The iPhone 8 and iPhone X only support up to 7.5W for fast charging (Fast wireless charging is enabled with a free software update coming later this year.), but the latest Qi 1.2 standard actually offers up to 15W.

A suitable wireless charging device would need:

• Qi - sounds obvious but it needs to support Qi
  • 7.5W of power. Some devices out there support less
  • Wall adapter - make sure the wall adapter you use with the wireless pad supports the speed you are after. A 7.5W pad with a 5W wall adapter will only charge at 5W.
  • Future Proof - the current Qi standard (1.2) supports charging at 15W. this years iPhone only support charging up to 7.5W but its likely that next year's phones will use the latest standard. You might want to buy a wireless pod that you won't need to change in 12 months time if you're a annual upgrade.

AirPower
OK this might not ever appear.. but incase it does...

You might just want to wait a bit. Apple showed off a new wireless charger, called AirPower, that’s set to launch sometime next year, which is expected to be able to charge an iPhone, Apple Watch Series 3, and AirPods simultaneously — typically, chargers can only power one device at a time. It’ll also use a Lightning cable for connectivity, which as mentioned before is useful for iPhone users. Plus, Apple is working with Qi to integrate AirPower features into the Qi standard, so it’s possible we’ll see new third-party chargers with similar functionality not too farther down the road.

Would a higher powered Charger damage non fast charge devices?
The short answer is no. Modern devices are built to only accept specific amp levels, so even if you plug your iPhone into an unsupported adapter, you'll only get the bare minimum the adapter supports (either the 5V/1A or 12V/2.4A charging spec).

Is there a link to previous UK launch threads?
2017 - iPhone X/8/8+ here
2016 - iPhone 7/7+ here
2015 - iPhone 6s/6s+ here

If you’’d like me to add more questions and answers, please PM me and I’’ll add them as soon as I can.
[doublepost=1534527510][/doublepost]lets get the ball rolling. 4 weeks from anticipated pre-orders! :D

Last edited:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Super excited for the 6.46 iPhone plus.
I’m buying outright either Apple online store or the regent street branch.

Coming from an iPhone x and an iPhone 8 Plus.

i-Liam

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016
Im on the fence weather to get the plus or not. The size doesn’t concern me but with all that glass and steel, I can imagine that thing being quite heavy. The current 5.8 iPhone X already has quite some hefty weight.

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
Super excited for the 6.46 iPhone plus.
I’m buying outright either Apple online store or the regent street branch.

Coming from an iPhone x and an iPhone 8 Plus.

Nice call. I was always an outright buyer until last year. As a serial yearly upgrader, the IUP made sense given the fear I would have had in dropping the all glass phone!

I’m sure the previous years IUP folk also got some early options to upgrade iirc.

Either way not long to go! Not done a launch day store pick up since the iPad 2

Reactions: FFR

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
Im on the fence weather to get the plus or not. The size doesn’t concern me but with all that glass and steel, I can imagine that thing being quite heavy. The current 5.8 iPhone X already has quite some hefty weight.

Very good point, my X is pretty weighty as you say.

What will turn me will be an additional camera feature ( a la dual cameras on the plus phones).

Been pretty happy with the battery on the X. Can get to the evening with it currently.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Nice call. I was always an outright buyer until last year. As a serial yearly upgrader, the IUP made sense given the fear I would have had in dropping the all glass phone!

I’m sure the previous years IUP folk also got some early options to upgrade iirc.

Either way not long to go! Not done a launch day store pick up since the iPad 2

I was interested in the iup programme, but I like to keep all my old devices. So, just buy outright.

Launch days aren’t as bad as they used to be.
Invitations should be going out next week or the week after depending on the keynote.

I’m hoping invitations go out by the 24 for a sept 4/5 keynote with delivery on 14.

But realistically it’s looking more like sept 12 for the keynote.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I don’t really want a large heavy phone (as 8 Plus), but I really need the dual SIM option so will have to wait and see what’s on offer (if anything) after the keynote.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I hope we get a tool to detect available reservation slots like we did last year.

I lasted about a week after the iPhone X launch before succumbing to my inner fanboy and deciding to buy one. I was able to get one quicker by reserving an iUP, even though I ended up not entering into an iUP plan because I couldn't pass the credit check (as unemployed yet able to buy it outright lol).

So this year I am employed and I want to try to join iUP... so that tool would come in real handy!

Then again, perhaps this year Apple will have a less scarce stock situation going on?

(Yes that's right guys and gals I've already decided I want the X Plus thus year :S)

Unfortunately I'm in Cambridge for the launch instead of London so I won't have the run of the London Apple Stores - though that being said, I wonder if Covent Garden will be open in time or the launch?!

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
I’m pre-ordering the 1Tb 7.5” Plus in metallic purple. Think I will specify another 2Gb of RAM too and upgrade to the 6 core

Edit: might order a case too

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So its nearly that time of year again! A few rumours going around and they'll only get stronger as we get closer to September. I'll update this with more accurate information as it comes in. The model names are a guess seeing no one really has a clue yet!

Times and prices etc will be BST and in Pounds (£) respectively.

Please consider checking the FAQ section at the bottom of this thread before asking a question. I’ll keep it updated with the most popular questions, so that the answers are quick and easy to find.

Latest news
Latest summary for this year's devices can be found here

2018 iPhones

OLED Models - Rumours point to two OLED models this year

5.8" OLED - iPhone Xs (tbc)

Taking the same form factor as the existing iPhone X

Pricing (tbc)

• 64GB - £999
  • 256GB - £1149
  • 512GB - ???
6.5" OLED - iPhone Xs Plus (tbc)

The new larger model debuting this year rumoured to take the same size as the current iPhone 8 Plus but with a 6.5" OLED screen.

Pricing (tbc)

• 64GB - £1099
  • 256GB - £1249
  • 512GB - ???

Available in Silver and Space Grey and a rumoured gold with a possible third 512GB tier.

LCD Model - new rumoured 'affordable' model for 2018

6.1" LCD - iPhone 9 (tbc)

Unlocked, Contract-Free iPhone 9
  • 64GB - £699
  • 256GB - £849
  • 512GB - ???

Rumoured to be available in colours that include grey, white, blue, red, and orange.

You can use this thread to discuss the UK price points, pre-orders and dispatch of the new iPhones, unlocked from Apple and through UK network carriers.

Please post to let everyone know if you were able to get your pre-order through to Apple, and if you had any problems. Let us know when your online order status changes - e.g. Order Processing, Preparing for Shipment, Dispatched and eventually Delivered. Last year it was useful for people to update their signatures to display their current status to avoid the endless posts asking for 'whats your status?'

Feel free to discuss cases and accessories too!

FAQ
How can I pay for my iPhone?

Apple has a few different ways to pay or finance your purchase. These are:

iPhone Payments - https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/sales-support/iphonepayments_uk/
  • 20 Monthly payments at 0% APR
  • £69 up front
  • No Apple Care
  • No yearly upgrades
  • Subject to status

iPhone Upgrade Programme - https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program
  • 20 monthly payments at 0% APR
  • £69 up front
  • Apple Care+ has to be taken
  • Able to upgrade phone after 11 payments when trading in existing phone
  • Subject to status

Apple Finance - https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/financing

Barclays
  • 14.9% APR
  • Choose an instalment period of 3 to 18, 24 or 36 equal monthly payments.
PayPal
  • 14.9% interest rate p.a. fixed for the duration of the instalment plans.
  • Choose an instalment period of 6 to 12, 18 or 24 equal monthly payments.
  • Standard rate of 17.9% applies to transactions made outside of any instalment plans.

Pay in Full
  • Pay in full online or in store using credit card, debit card, Apple Pay, PayPal or Apple Store Gift Cards

What is iPhone Fast Charging?

The science behind it

• Watt (W): Total power and capacity of either a battery or an adapter.
  • Amps (A): The current at which power can flow between a charger and a battery.
  • Voltage (V): The amount of power being pushed from an adapter.
When you charge an iPad, iPhone, or computer, you're resupplying its battery (measured in watt-hours) from a power source like a wall outlet, usually via an adapter. That adapter controls how much power you can get (volts) from that outlet, and the speed at which you get it (amps). Those two factors multiplied result in the adapter's total available power.

Remember it's not about total watts — it's all about the amps and voltage. Modern iPhones and iPads support charging up to a current of 2.4A at 5V, while older devices charge around 1A at 5V. To get the best adapter for your device, you want one that charges at the appropriate amps (1-2.4A) while supplying the right amount of voltage.

A 5W iPhone adapter will pull just 1 amp at 5V, for instance, while USB ports on a computer can deliver 0.5-2 amps, and the 12W iPad adapter can deliver up to 2.4 amps.

The new 29W USB-C Adapter is special because it supports 5V charging at 2.4A (~12W), but it also supports USB Power Delivery for compatible devices, which allows them to charge at a much higher voltage (14.5V) and lower amps (2A). Because the amps are lower while the voltage is higher, it's more efficient from an electrical standpoint andoffers more power to devices that can take advantage of the technology.

What do I need for the iPhone 8/X?

To get the Optimum Charging times for your iPhone you will need the 29W USB-C charger and a USB-C to lighting Cable.

Its likely that 3rd party chargers and cables would work too.

Wireless Charging

What is iPhone Wireless Charging?

The new iPhones will support wireless charging using the Qi (chee) standard. Qi wireless charging uses inductive charging technology, which involves two coils of copper wire (with a core of iron) - one in the device you are charging (or in a caseattached to that device) and one in a pad or mat on which you lie the device. When you put the two coils next to each other an electromagnetic field is created and that allows electricity to be passed between the two coils. While the two devices need to be touching or within very close proximity, the coils can be sealed within the devices.

The iPhone 8 and iPhone X only support up to 7.5W for fast charging (Fast wireless charging is enabled with a free software update coming later this year.), but the latest Qi 1.2 standard actually offers up to 15W.

A suitable wireless charging device would need:

• Qi - sounds obvious but it needs to support Qi
  • 7.5W of power. Some devices out there support less
  • Wall adapter - make sure the wall adapter you use with the wireless pad supports the speed you are after. A 7.5W pad with a 5W wall adapter will only charge at 5W.
  • Future Proof - the current Qi standard (1.2) supports charging at 15W. this years iPhone only support charging up to 7.5W but its likely that next year's phones will use the latest standard. You might want to buy a wireless pod that you won't need to change in 12 months time if you're a annual upgrade.

AirPower
You might just want to wait a bit. Apple showed off a new wireless charger, called AirPower, that’s set to launch sometime next year, which is expected to be able to charge an iPhone, Apple Watch Series 3, and AirPods simultaneously — typically, chargers can only power one device at a time. It’ll also use a Lightning cable for connectivity, which as mentioned before is useful for iPhone users. Plus, Apple is working with Qi to integrate AirPower features into the Qi standard, so it’s possible we’ll see new third-party chargers with similar functionality not too farther down the road.

Would a higher powered Charger damage non fast charge devices?
The short answer is no. Modern devices are built to only accept specific amp levels, so even if you plug your iPhone into an unsupported adapter, you'll only get the bare minimum the adapter supports (either the 5V/1A or 12V/2.4A charging spec).

When is the Keynote?
Rumours point to the keynote being Wednesday, September 12 at 18:00(BST) (TBC) @ the Steve Jobs Theater at the company's new Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California. This is a move from the usual Tuesday due to the significance of the September 11th date.

Where can I watch the Keynote?
The Keynote can be streamed online on apple.com.

Where can I watch a replay of the keynote?
The replay of the keynote can be watched online (link tbc)

What time do pre-orders start?
Pre-orders usually start the friday following the keynote, so that would assume be:
  • Friday, September 14 at 08:01(BST) (TBC)

When is the official launch?

When there are no delays in production etc, models are usually available one week after pre-orders start. If this continues to be the case then it wold be:
  • Friday, September 21 (TBC)

Should I pre-order from the desktop store, or mobile app?
Historically the app is has been more stable when pre-orders first start, compared to the desktop store. Honestly I've never had much luck in the last few years of ordering to get the first batch of phones.. I've given up trying to guess!

Can I reserve for collection in store?
With previous launches there has ben an option to reserve for in-store pickup. After the official release day there has also been an option to check stock at individual stores and reserve.

How do I know if stores have certain stock available?
last year @l3uddz had a great little php application that integrated with PushBullet and sent push notifications when certain stock was available. I'll update here if it gets working again this time around.

Will my iPhone order be delivered on the Launch Date?
This will all depend on any stock constraints. If you are lucky to get in a pre-order and the estimated delivery shows the 21st (TBC), then you will get your phone on that day. If the shipping dates start to push out then you will have to unfortunately wait. Apple's estimated delivery dates are pretty accurate but they have had recent history in bringing forward some orders which has missed the initial launch day release

Is there a limit to how many iPhones I can order?
Apple typically imposes a limit of ordering 2 iPhones per Apple ID.

Will my order be delayed if I order a case/Apple Care with the iPhone?
In the past, people have experienced delays in receiving their orders if they order any accessories along with the phone. It is recommended that you order the iPhone separate to any accessories to avoid the potential delay.

Once I pre-ordered, Apple placed a hold on the funds in my account but released it a few days later without taking the money. Is there something wrong with my order?
When you pre-order from Apple and pay by credit or debit card, Apple will at some point place a ‘hold’ on the amount with your card company. This checks you've got the funds, and stops you spending them. However, a hold only lasts a few days, after which time your card company will automatically make the funds available to you to spend again. When you see this happen, it is nothing to worry about, it DOES NOT mean Apple has cancelled your order. Apple will not take the money out of your account until the day of shipping.

What courier will my order be delivered by?
On past releases, people who have been lucky enough to snag a launch day pre-order are likely to have their orders shipped from Syncreon in Hinkley. These deliveries and then usually handled by UK Mail and UPS.
Orders which have missed the launch date typically come direct from factory via UPS.

My order has been shipped with UPS, how can I track it?
On your order page there will be a tracking number starting with ‘1Z’, simply copy and paste it into the tracking box on the UPS website and it should display your tracking results. Please note that tracking numbers may take some time to become active.

My order has been shipped with UK Mail, how can I track it?
If your tracking number starts with '309', enter it into the UK Mail Tracking Page. Entering your post code is not required, however if you do enter it then you'll be able to change your delivery date or select to pick your order up at your nearest depot. If your tracking number doesn't start with '309', select the 'Customer reference' option and then enter your tracking details along with your post code. UK Mail should text you with a one hour delivery window, and you can view delivery progress online.

My order has been shipped with Syncreon, how can I track it?
Enter your 'Delivery Number' in the 'Order No/Delivery No' box on the Syncreon tracking page, and your Apple order number (starts with W) in the ‘’Web Order No’’ box. If your tracking number starts with '309' you will then be able to track it to delivery on the UK Mail Tracking Page. Please note that tracking numbers may take some time to become active.

Is there a link to previous UK launch threads?
2017 - iPhone X/8/8+ here
2016 - iPhone 7/7+ here
2015 - iPhone 6s/6s+ here

If you’’d like me to add more questions and answers, please PM me and I’’ll add them as soon as I can.
[doublepost=1534527510][/doublepost]lets get the ball rolling. 4 weeks from anticipated pre-orders! :D

Awesome thread

Reactions: Jinjin

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
I’ve had the new iPhone every year since the iPhone 4, but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to purchase the new model this year due to buying my first home which is proving to be very demanding of my money.

Every time I watch the keynotes, I’m instantly sold, so this year will depend on pricing and whether I can justify spending more money to upgrade from my iPhone X to something I want and do not need.

We’ll see...

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
56CCA126-AB4E-41B0-9BFB-C6B013964C23.jpeg
Seidio's guess...

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Then again, perhaps this year Apple will have a less scarce stock situation going on?

(Yes that's right guys and gals I've already decided I want the X Plus thus year :S)

Unfortunately I'm in Cambridge for the launch instead of London so I won't have the run of the London Apple Stores - though that being said, I wonder if Covent Garden will be open in time or the launch?!

To be completely honest, I’ve never found that the launch day stock situation matters much if you have easy access to an Apple Store. There’s always new stock popping up - In the week leading to the iPhone 7 launch I was off work ill and had nothing better to do than randomly keep checking on whether I’d theoretically be able to get my hands on the coveted black Plus models. The answer was yes.

I’m after the 2018 iPhone X refresh (switching down in size from an 8 Plus). 64GB is plenty for me as I stream all of my music and use iCloud for storage. Silver (possibly changing to pure white I believe) with the steel band is a thing of beauty so will go for that. I imagine the stock for the 5.8” refresh will take much longer to slip as it’s not really anything new - anybody who was desperate for it bought last year.

Reactions: Woodcrest64

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
iPhone X Plus 256GB for me at the moment unless they decide to ditch the 64GB and go with 128GB.

Im coming from the iPhone 7 Plus 128GB and will be buying the phone outright on the Apple site on pre order day.

Aint done that since my iPhone 6, so lets see how that goes!

lukefinch1

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
South Yorkshire, England
I’m just not sure and probably won’t decide until the release.

I’ve always had every other iPhone on launch day and still have my launch day iPhone 7 however with how good the X is, I’ve not yet decided whether to wait and get a cheaper iPhone X or get the new one on launch day. I guess it depends what’s new about it.

All I know is now I’m due for an upgrade, it’s really hard not to go out today and get an iPhone X.

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
iPhone X Plus 256GB for me at the moment unless they decide to ditch the 64GB and go with 128GB.

Im coming from the iPhone 7 Plus 128GB and will be buying the phone outright on the Apple site on pre order day.

Aint done that since my iPhone 6, so lets see how that goes!

Yes, would love Apple to drop the 64gb and start with 128gb. Though looking at my current X usage I’m on 49gb!

Wouldn’t want to move down to a 64, as I know photos/videos are just going up.

Just can’t see Apple dropping the 64gb though :(

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
I’m just not sure and probably won’t decide until the release.

I’ve always had every other iPhone on launch day and still have my launch day iPhone 7 however with how good the X is, I’ve not yet decided whether to wait and get a cheaper iPhone X or get the new one on launch day. I guess it depends what’s new about it.

All I know is now I’m due for an upgrade, it’s really hard not to go out today and get an iPhone X.

Hold out the month. Looks like this years Xs is rumoured to come in at the same or cheaper than the current model X. You wouldn’t want to grab one now and then see everyone with their new toys in a few weeks!

Though you might see deals for the 2017 X come down in price after the new release as carriers look to dump their stock

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Currently got an iPhone 6 - I'm probably going to see what iOS12 runs like before picking up a new phone. Not sure what I'd get (iPhone though!) at the moment. If I had to get something now I'd probably pick up a 7. The I don't like the glass back of the 8 and I don't see me getting on with faceID on the X (a few people I know have the X and they've put me off).

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Time does fly once the excitement of a new iPhone abates; that time of the year already;) . I am still undecided however will revert to the plus model if i whip out my wallet.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yes, would love Apple to drop the 64gb and start with 128gb. Though looking at my current X usage I’m on 49gb!

Wouldn’t want to move down to a 64, as I know photos/videos are just going up.

Just can’t see Apple dropping the 64gb though :(
True just like it’d unlike they jump,from 64GB to 512GB.

3 storage options make the most sense

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.