UK iPhone 4S preorders start delivery 15th

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thetechnogeek, Oct 10, 2011.

1. thetechnogeek macrumors newbie

Long time lurker here but no doubt will be flamed for this being my first post and it not being the best of news :D

I pre-ordered like many others on 7th at 9am, got in the 1st round and received the "Ships by 14th Oct" notification. Because I am away travelling next week, I wanted to be sure my phone would turn up on 14th, so called Apple. The bad news- the lady I spoke to was absolutely insistent that no pre-orders would actually be delivered on 14th, just that this is when they'll start to ship. I kicked off and said that was not like the 4 launch, when people got them on launch day delivered to their homes. She escalated to her supervisor who said the same- no shipments before 14th, so earliest arrival is 15th, and the "majority" would arrive the following week. He also added that there are no 4S's in the country as yet.

I'm still hoping they're saying this to manage expectations for a few people who won't get them on 14th, but this looks like wishful thinking now. Gutted.

I know there's been endless speculation about when international orders will arrive, so thought this might be useful, if disappointing info to stick in a thread. Wish it was better news!

2. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Bearer of bad news, shoot the messenger.

I'll be grabbing my salt for pinching.

3. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

I am not bothered myself whether I get it on the 14/15 or the week after. BUT I have taken a day off to sit at home waiting (rep on "3" insisted it will be delivered on the 14th via courier), so I'd be only annoyed if they make me wait for 'nuffin ... Might just NOT wait and get the card and pick it up at the post office or something ..

4. thetechnogeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, well if I'm not there when they try to deliver, not sure how long the dispatchers hang onto it before sending it back to the originator. I was so hoping for 14th...

5. pcfarrar macrumors member

I can't see Apple paying for Saturday delivery....

6. abolition macrumors newbie

I am flying to the UK on thursday and leaving on monday (for something completely unrelated to the iPhone launch :p), I was assured that deliveries would be on friday and thats why I ordered 2 iPhones at 8:43am. Its still in processing items and saying ships by the 14th, is anyone calling apple to confirm the delivery won't be on the 14th?

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Doesn't bother me if it's Friday or next week when I get my 4s. My iPhone 4 is bound to last at least another 7-10 days... :cool:

8. Dee2001 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure they said the same thing last year.

9. thetechnogeek thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I described in the original post- Apple say orders will be dispatched on 14th and not before, and none of these will deliver before 15th. But as pcfarrar says, can't see Apple paying for Sat delivery. Which could bring 1st deliveries to 17th I guess

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I am driving back from Germany for the weekend, I am wetting myself wanting to know what date i will have this beauty, I drive back to germany on the 16th hope I have it for then! :(

11. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

it's a phone calm down, you can still go to the shop on friday if your online order has not been shipped by the time you get are about to pay for ip4s cancel while your at the store (before paying would be my advice. while in key before you are served) Go to apple white city or kingston few hold up but more stock in west most probably.

12. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

I think they need to be clear with a precise date asap.

I, like most of you, disrupted my Fri am routine to pay big money early doors by using a crashing web site. Something that should have taken 2mins took over an hour. A site that crashed and caused me multiple orders (6x iPhones initially, only wanted 2) and, i need notice to be in for the delivery, i can't keep passing different dates back to my employer.

All i ask for is consistent, up to date info.

An Apple employee told me that stock was already present in the UK and would distribute from the 14th, so still hopeful.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I won't get mine till after start of dec I'm sure you all can wait another week or two.

14. randystand macrumors 6502

Well Carphone Warehouse emailed me and said they aim to ship the phone out to me for delivery on Friday 14th. So I expect it on the 14th.

15. G-Giant88, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

G-Giant88 macrumors newbie

Is that because you haven't ordered yet?

Also, as Carphone Warehouse have the iPhones to deliver ON friday, I'm sure Apple would too. It is, afterall, a healthier profit ordering directly from apple.com/uk rather than a 3rd party.

Just my 2 cents.

16. thetechnogeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, me too. I suspect (but don't know) that our orders will go from processing to out for delivery sometime on Friday leaving those of us juggling our obsession for new shiny gadgets and going to work making hurried excuses to our employers about ill children/mothers/cats and rushing home :D.

Those of you not obsessed with said shiny gadgets, I applaud your patience :). What are you doing here?

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Won't have the money till end of november. Plus getting Christmas money from family.

18. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I think they are mistaken. Apple (nearly?) always has the first deliveries of launch products on a Friday. My MBP this year was also delivered on a Friday and it took 2 days from dispatch in China. I'm guessing that 4S orders will be shipped by Wednesday for Friday delivery ... Saturday delivery is highly unlikely.

19. ThetaSigma macrumors regular

I call BS. The phone will be here 13th/14th.

The original iPad launch was way bigger than this and I got my a day early. Same happened for the iPhone 4. Won't be no difference for the 4S.

20. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This is nonsense. :rolleyes:

Rest assured that the vast majority will be delivered on Friday. :)

21. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

One thing that seems to be consistent with releases is conflicting information coming out about delivery dates.

I remember when the original iPad was released. The stock was in the UK two days before the release date. There were lots of people on here who had spoken to Apple and the distributors and had been told that no shipments would be made early. Of course, most of us got the shipment the next day (a day early). I seem to recall people getting their iPhone 4's a day early in some places, despite being told it wouldn't happen, although I may be wrong on that one (I wasn't buying then).

I'm not saying that we will certainly get deliveries this Friday, but the message that the OP was given is not very likely to be accurate, from previous experience.

In fact, from what I have seen in the past, I think that for pre-orderers a Thursday delivery is more likely than a late delivery.

22. thetechnogeek thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope the last couple of posters are right. All I am reiterating is what Apple were absolutely insistent on- that no deliveries will ship before 14th. Of course if they happen to ship from the corner post office on that day, all will be good :D

To be fair though, the last launches did not have the "Ships by" stuff- for the iPhone 4, pre-orders were tagged with "Pre-order now to get your iPhone on launch day". Also to be fair, I can't imagine why Apple would (a) choose "Ships by" and (b) say that we won't get the phone on 14th as their communications unless either they actually mean it (shock and horror) or they just want to torture us :eek:

I'll keep lots of things crossed. If anyone else wants to give Apple and call and report back, their number is 0800 048 0408

23. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

I don't think the call centre that does the orders has any idea when things will ship
    They just see whats on their computer
    The web-site on my order does say "ships by 14th October" so I expect them to ship on the 13th or the 14th.
    there is nothing which says, "delivery on the 14th"

the main web-site says "available on the 14th" but this refers to those queuing up outside the shop

24. bryanjc macrumors regular

Exactly, plus my delivery is to my work address..where i won't be on a Saturday! :D

25. randystand macrumors 6502

I've emailed Carphone warehouse.... Just to confirm what they said in the email. ' aiming to dispatch for delivery on 14th'. Fully expect them to deliver on Friday.