UK Mac Pro Ram

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by peejack, Jan 16, 2008.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Is anywhere doing the new Mac Pro ram yet? Crucial still haven't go it on there site yet.

Thanks

2. Eric2 macrumors member

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Most people seem to be ordering in from the states for 2 reasons.

1) They have it.
    2) It's piss cheap.

www.macsales.com (OWC)

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Order from OWC macsales.com in the USA. About £200 (before VAT import) for 8GB (4GBx2) of qualified RAM.

5. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Didn't want to start a new thread, so what's the difference between qualified and certified?

I'm guessing certified has the nod from Apple and qualified has been tested by OWC.

6. Eric2 macrumors member

Is Import VAT 17.5% ? - so the real cost would be about £235?

Thanks

7. G4DP macrumors 65816

Stormfront, in the southwest have it. A 4GB Kit (2x2GB) is £305. So going to wait a while.

Ordering from the US is great, but a pain in the ass when it dies or something doesn't work on arrival.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

True, but I think for the substantial cost savings it's worth the risk. It's not like you can't return it, it's just a bit more of a pain to do so. Generally speaking RAM is 99% OK. You can get 8GB (4*2GB) from OWC for £200 (plus delivery and any import duties) as netdog stated. Anyway you look at it it's going to be a damn sight cheaper than we will get it.

9. spaceman8 macrumors newbie

spaceman8

Does anyone know what VAT and import duties are?

I'm not desperate to get RAM, but when it does become available here (UK) it'd be nice to know what the true cost of buying from the US is.

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Standard 17.5% VAT. Computers and components don't have duty.

11. snake007uk macrumors member

Are you sure you dont have to pay duty on computer or components? do you have a link to HM C&E confirming that?

12. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

$199 (£101) for 4GB :eek: After delivery and tax it's still not going to be over £150 - Crucial are selling the 667MHz 4GB "compatible" modules for £181!

At those prices I'm just tempted to take it to 8GB.

If so: do I keep the original 2x1GB in there for 10GB, or will that mess up the whole equal pairs thing. I'd assumed more ram overall would be better than less equally matched ram.

13. eviltobz macrumors member

i would have thought that it'll depend on what you're doing. if you're constantly using all that ram then more is probably better, if you need high ram bandwidth above capacity then less memory with the optimised channel stuff should work out better.

14. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

looking at the 2007 MP prices at crucial uk i was planning on getting 8GB from them when they started to stock the 2008 RAM, but with the prices at OWC even WITH VAT and any other random handling fees, 16GB looked like a pretty worthwhile investment. I figure it will cost around £720 to get 16GB from Crucial when they get stock assuming it costs around the same as the 667Mhz RAM.. but ordering the qualified from OWC, even if i do get hit with customs the most i'll be paying is £500.. which i think is fantastic, and if i don't then GREAT!. They seem to have a really good returns policy too, even if one or two sticks end up being faulty its not going to be the end of the world getting them replaced, and with the shipping etc. it will still be cheaper than getting RAM from here.

with the rate of the dollar as it is, you can not consider buying from the US, and shipping should only be 3 days tops.

15. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

do some searching there is a very good article linked somewhere here on the forum, but from what i've read you could be better off having 8GB (4x 2GB) rather than having your proposed 10GB confi :)

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You would have to contact them, the simple lists of things they put out never have computer components on, just that computers and laptops are duty free. There are however multiple sites claiming there is no duty on computer components to a non-retailer.

17. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac sales don't seem to be sending it out either, certain items are pending the ither keep saying in x days :confused:

18. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I don't have a link, but I have read before that there is no import duty on computer equipment. You will be charged VAT and a typically extortionate handling fee by whoever delivers it.

19. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh yeh the handling fee too :eek:

I was advised fedEX was the best option to the UK, anyway to find out how much the handling charge would be also?

Whats the price likely to be on the crucial site? More than the 667 or about the same?

20. Composer87 macrumors newbie

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

22. Composer87 macrumors newbie

23. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Message from Crucial UK:

"Thank you for your e-mail. We do not have an ETA at this time as to when those parts will be available for purchase. We also do not know how much they will costs. I am guessing however that it would be in the hundred dollar range. But do not quote me on that, it is just a guess. We will announce it on our homepage when the parts are available for purchase."

Ah well, I did quote him.

I don't understand the delay, have US RAM orders shipped yet from OWC etc.?

24. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Well I guess we can't just expect them to start offering a product just because Apple are. I doubt they knew it was comming on the 8th.

I'd also be interested in seeing if OWC have started shipping yet.