Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Received mine today and I was dinged for $61.75 Canadian by customs.

So is this the correct orientation? I have all my OWC in on the first riser card while the 2x1GB Apple Hynix are on the bottom.

I heard the best order was to occupy the risers in matching pairs - first in the top two slots, then the bottom two... not sure how much of a difference it makes though. Don't Mac Pros now ship with 1GB at the top of each riser?

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I heard the best order was to occupy the risers in matching pairs - first in the top two slots, then the bottom two... not sure how much of a difference it makes though. Don't Mac Pros now ship with 1GB at the top of each riser?

One stick in each riser cards. The manual said to put them both on riser card B and populate the OWC cards on one card.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
One stick in each riser cards. The manual said to put them both on riser card B and populate the OWC cards on one card.

Edit: Ah, so you bought four OWC sticks and are using the existing two on the other riser for a total of six sticks. Sorry, the photo of the one riser was throwing me off and I didn't construe right. ;) Yeah, that's the right setup!

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
So did you buy four OWC sticks? And then the 2x1GB that came with the MP for a total of 6?

The Apple manual sez "Two pairs on the top memory card and one pair on the bottom card" for six sticks total, or "One pair on the top memory card and one pair on the bottom card" if you just bought two OWC sticks, and have four total.

Riser card B is for Apple ram alone, and Riser A, the one sitting face down on top is filled with 4x2GB of OWC. 6 in total.

cane creek

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
Middlesbrough , UK
uk based.
didnt want to wait for crucial to get stock and judging by the suggested prices - glad i didnt.
went with owc - completely pain free - delivered within 2 days.
installed and so far running smoothly.
want to find some kind of mem stress test just to push it to it's limits.
only unusual bit was the verification before they accepted my c card. think they use an external verification company - they mailed me and had me share other mail addresses i had. verified within the hour and as i say shipped superfast.
unless something unexpected happens over the next week or 2 with the memory then i can say that there are no reasons why i wouldnt recommend going with a us import. even then you'd have to give owc the opportunity to fix it and from what i've read they're fine there too.
not rcvd the vat invoice yet - only 2 days since it arrived.

What do you do that requires so much ram ?

I produce electronic music and use alot of software romplers which use alot of ram so i can never have enough memory ;)

PS im waiting for my 8 core mac to arrive it got shipped a few days ago.....

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Is it ok to mix brands within an otherwise matched pair?

Thanks.

If the machine starts smoking or blows up, I'll be sure to post about it otherwise I don't know. Smooth sailings so far. All kidding aside, there are a few people doing the same thing here.

Apple Hynix top, OWC bottom.
img0412ny9.jpg

diddykiddy

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
OWC - great value

ordered 8 Gb Kit from OWC on friday - $468 or thereabouts, delivered on tuesday to the uk - so £240 for 8Gb - fantastic value and fast shipping.

they have good advance replacement policy and lifetime warranty, I think this would be at least £150 more from a uk supplier.

my mac pro shipped yesterday !! ram is waiting on my desk for it
:)

Jebaloo

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Just thought you may be interested to know that I just got my import tax bill for 2 x 2gb ram sticks from OWC, and it was about £37.

not so bad.

GregPacker

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Wherever there is a queue

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Just thought you may be interested to know that I just got my import tax bill for 2 x 2gb ram sticks from OWC, and it was about £37.

not so bad.

you got this separately from the ram? i got my ram a few weeks ago with no vat or import tax. should i be expecting a separate bill ?
:(

Jebaloo

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
you got this separately from the ram? i got my ram a few weeks ago with no vat or import tax. should i be expecting a separate bill ?

It came separately, in a letter about 3 weeks after my RAM arrived from OWC. I wasn't expecting it, but it's not too high a price and is still much cheaper than UK prices, so I'm not too bothered.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.

Always. You can't hide from import tax. DHL, Fedex, you name it get you 1 - 3 weeks after your order has been delivered. They always send you in an invoice many weeks after to pay the import tax bill.

WoOdPiPeS

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Sometimes imported packages don't came through the customs office, but is being less usual due the strength of the euro in front of the dollar. Most orders are posted to customs...
I've decided get less risks,... US is really far away, and any problem with ram, as replacement for example, should get the same risk to be stopped by customs and pay again the customs taxes (and the shipping is always more expensive).
I mean, I discovered that the ram from Musicstore (http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/is-bi...yID=cETVqHzl7GoAAAEVQB1Wf70R&JumpTo=OfferList) in Germany is from good makers as Hinyx, Samsung or Micron, and the sink is very close to the Apple one (4 sheets). The big difference is that in MusicStore you get "only" 10 years waranty ... but, honestly, hope to have another MacPro in the next 10 years.
And the price? the price is 99€/2Gb Module. So, ordering 4 2Gb modules, you should pay the same as an order from OWC (very probably stopped at customs).

WP

PS: For europeans who are self employers or a bussines, buying into the EU exclude us to pay the VAT (just if you are registered at your taxes office as a guy who buys in europe, ... and is a free registration), I'm, so each 2Gb module will be 83,19€ for me.

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
I bought 4GB of ram from OWC at the end of Jan, it arrived safely with duty charges.

I bought another 4gb on the 5th of Feb and it arrived on the 9th with duties.

I have a letter this moring from parcel force saying they are holding a package for me and there is £36 duty, I called and they confirmed they have the package and it's from "OWC"

...how odd is that, I have not ordered a 3rd set of RAM.
gonna go down in the morning to see what it is

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
Outside the US I don't think we get the 15 day replacement policy, or even free return postage for RAM that is DOA. See the asterisk in this link:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Customized_Pages/Framework.cfm?page=PowerBook_Memory/memhead/warranty.html
It says: "Within 15 Days of invoice date*: Should any issue be experienced with a module in a system it is listed to be compatible with, OWC will - At no cost to you, issue a Return Shipment Label..."

And it also says: "A Lifetime Warranty applies to all OWC Memory items unless otherwise specified. Should your memory product cease to function in a system that module was listed as compatible with at the time of purchase, OWC will replace the module at no cost."

Thus, as the modules are claimed to be compatible, they should replace them free of charge.

Just to clear that up.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007

I ordered 4 x 2GB from OWC and it cost $468 with tax and shipping. Here in UK I paid another £53 for import duty and handling fee. This comes out to about £300 in total.
This is much less than the £672 for the same amount of ram from Crucial here in UK.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Double checking here... Is it OK to mix Crucial Mac Pro ram with the stock 2GB Apple ram that comes with it...?

As I'm after 1GB sticks.

Ouch, 6GB £563.96

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
So I went to the parcelforce depot this morning...

paid the £36.55 duty and they handed me a box, another 4gb of RAM!
guessing OWC shipped two lots by accident.

so now I have bought 8GB of RAM (2 orders of 2x2gb) and they've sent me 12gb (3 orders of 2x2gb)

grand total inc duty - £357 for 12GB of 800mhz RAM (6x2gb)
Bargain!

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
So I went to the parcelforce depot this morning...

paid the £36.55 duty and they handed me a box, another 4gb of RAM!
guessing OWC shipped two lots by accident.

so now I have bought 8GB of RAM (2 orders of 2x2gb) and they've sent me 12gb (3 orders of 2x2gb)

grand total inc duty - £357 for 12GB of 800mhz RAM (6x2gb)
Bargain!

Fancy selling the extra 4gb to a fellow macrumors brit? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.