UK O2 Customers! Just wait, we may be offerred early upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by julianna1973, Jun 9, 2009.

1. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I just spoke to someone in the cancellations dept(I was asking how to end contract early to be able to take new iPhone), actually was the 3rd person from O2 this morning & the only one who was nice. She says to keep checking back as O2 might well do what they did last year & offer existing customers the new iPhone with a new contract!

So at least there is some hope???

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I would imagine they are going to have a busy day. :D

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The O2 website is very clear. No early upgrade for existing iPhone customers.

4. ripkord macrumors 6502

5. YoungLew macrumors regular

that was my understanding too

on a more important note, they wouldn't let me pre-order it!! :(

6. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

i agree.. WAIT
    i just spoke to o2. they are trying to get me an upgrade early on my own contract. are phoning back.
    i think it does help that i am on the highest tariff, and my bills are huge but it wasn't the flat no forget it that i was expecting..
    has anyone phoned to ask.. thats all i did.

i do have another option of using my sons upgrade but then the insurance situation gets mighty complicated.

7. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

It's actually pretty vague:

Yes it talks about generic upgrades, but nothing specific about the 3G. I think O2 could actually announce something in the coming days about early upgrades from the 3G.

-L

8. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

i agree its very vague... because just like last year they dont have a bl**dy clue what they are doing.

we will get told all sorts of crap by different people. We cant even order one yet so we will have to be patient (ha ha) and see what they offer.

i still think that some people will get a "slightly" better deal than the extortionate prices being quoted online.

Good thing is that its only a week or so away.. not like last year when the agony went on for weeks and weeks.

9. ascender macrumors 68000

Apple only announced this last night, give O2 a chance, just kick back and see what happens. We all know that O2 can be a nightmare to deal with at times, so I wouldn't even bother hassling them just now. What if they offer you what seems like a good deal to upgrade, but then a few weeks down the line decide to do something better to encourage more to upgrade?

I'm not optimistic that sort of thing would actually happen quickly, just saying that it might be worth biding our time as most of us know for a fact that O2 are disorganised at the best of times and who knows what dialogues they've had with Apple about the new phone yet. If the launch date comes and goes with poor sales, then maybe they will have to re-think their options.

10. julianna1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

julianna1973

Also i was told the 3.0 software will be available on the 17th, i think for existing customers only.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

On what planet is that vague?

Do you already have an iPhone and want to upgrade?
    Yes.
    Well, that's fine. When the contract you signed for the handset and tariff you have ends (or is in its last month), you can pick a new phone, on a new tariff, on a new contract.

If you already have an iPhone and want many of the features of the new phone, you too can upgrade to OS 3.0 on your existing handset.

/the end.

12. maviso5 macrumors regular

is there any chance o2 might reconsider the price, i just feel once again the $/£ ratio hasnt worked in our favour and even the 8GB 3G is still £340 something, are they having a laugh......$99 in the US

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

the 8GB 3G @ £340 is PAYG. Is that $99 you quote the PAYG price?

14. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

I'm saying it's vague in relation to existing iPhone customers - netdog said:

When actually it doesn't reference us at all, just has a generic upgrade message - and having just spoken to someone at customer services (to get a cancellation amount) - they told me to hold fire for a few hours, as they're having a meeting about this very issue.

-L

15. deccoo macrumors member

Remember that is $99 on a new 2 yr contract not PAYG - got to compare apples with apples.

16. ianhhh macrumors member

they jus told me i wil hav to buy out my contract, so 10mths x 45 ! i reckon everyone keep callin, the more peopl hasslin em, then they hav do sumthin 4 us

17. JHWright macrumors newbie

Option to pre-order???

Is it possible to pre-order the iPhone 3GS from either O2/CPW/Apple??

Can't see any links on the websites....

Or am I just gonna have to get up early and queue!

18. iSimon macrumors regular

I doubt there will be a queue at these prices...

19. bwaadass macrumors newbie

Good news that they are having a meeting!! The official O2 twitter page (www.twitter.com/O2) was pretty clear last night - "You will need to pay to end your contract if you want to upgrade early".

If that's the case then I doubt they will be shipping many 3G S's because surely the majority of high-spending, potential UK buyers will already have an iPhone and still have 6months left on their 3G contract (having upgraded in July 2008).

I'd be happy to pay to upgrade (maybe £100 max?) but not 6x£35 plus £175 for the new phone = £385!!

20. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

they are rethinking these upgrades... i am sure..

fingers crossed.
    i am not expecting free but to be able to upgrade much sooner than december at a reasonable cost on a high tariff.

21. amammad macrumors regular

On what planet is that good manners? Or is being a mod just code for "I'll say what I want"?

22. songwriter81 macrumors member

Nope. They are still sticking with it this morning...

As the iPhone 3G is subsidised by us you’ll need to either hang on until your contract ends or pay extra to end it early
    2 minutes ago from Seesmic Desktop

If you’ve already got an iPhone 3G and would like a 3G S, you will need to pay extra to end your contract
    2 minutes ago from Seesmic Desktop

23. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

end the end? Does that mean we're back to the start again? :confused:

24. synagence macrumors 6502a

They're stating the truth... you WILL have to pay SOMETHING extra to early-terminate .... they're just not saying WHAT exactly.

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It might be...if I was a mod, smart arse. :p
    :D Probably, since most people seem to completely fail to understand how mobile contracts have worked, do work, and probably will remain to work.