Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgomez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Aguascalientes, México
Hello,

I'm trying to help my gf to reinstall/reconfigure her new/replacement iPhone 6, which she got today.

When trying to restore the first time it asked to download and upgrade to 11.4.1. I didn't see what version the phone was before. The previous dead iPhone (died on day 364 of the warranty, was replaced by the carrier) was probably on 11.4, or maybe even the previous one (don't remember).
We carried on with the update and after a while it finished and then we tried to restore the latest backup, from the 5th of July.

Well, 5 hours later I still haven't been able to restore it. I always get an error telling something like "Couldn't restore from iCloud" after a while of the restoring screen. It always says "calculating..." and the progress bar never moves. I have already tried a couple of previous backups, same results. Already tried a different wifi network (same error), sharing cellular data from my iPhone (same error), and even using the cellular connection and it (here it changes a little: it says that the connection was interrupted). I was hoping that maybe some Apple Services were down, but the status page doesn't list any issue. I have turned off the phone several times, started from scratch several times, and always it ends up in the same error.

I am totally lost. I'm thinking of just wait and see if tomorrow things are different, but somehow I doubt it. Is there anything that rings a bell of what could be wrong and how to fix it? I am thinking that maybe the radio is damaged on this phone but that's going to be tricky to prove, as it connects correctly to a WiFi network, receives calls, and so on. The problem would appear to be limited to the iCloud backups, or the continuos/extensive use of the network.

When doing the warranty replacement the guys from Telcel (the carrier) asked for the iCloud account *and* password. Supposedly to remove the "Find my iPhone" from the dead phone (which as far as I know it's not possible to do outside the device). I objected it but being that it was the last day to proceed with the warranty we gave them the data. They said at that moment that they had done the removal so we changed the password some minutes later. It's the only thing "different" that I can think of in this case, but I don't see how that could be causing problems.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.