Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
Did you get the regular apple macbook box?

I did not get the regular macbook box but the box pictured instead which is 3 times the size of the original box. The used 5 layers of foam to pad the computer inside the box.:eek:

Did you buy a new one directly from them or did you send yours in?

I bought the computer directly from them. I thought about sending in mine but decided for a upgrade instead. Now ol' white will be making his way to ebay.:)

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
::Cough::

I'm sorry, I just threw up a little bit in my mouth when I saw that. :D

No but I suppose it's not bad, I'm curious to know the process they take to paint it though? Complete disassembly?

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
No but I suppose it's not bad, I'm curious to know the process they take to paint it though? Complete disassembly?

I don't know for sure how they do it but my guess is they take is apart and paint it then piece it back together. In fact I believe they mention it in one of the informational videos on the website.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I guess to each their own. That's the ugliest laptop I've ever seen. Nice way to ruin a perfect MacBook.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I guess to each their own. That's the ugliest laptop I've ever seen. Nice way to ruin a perfect MacBook.

That is extremely rude, I don't know, but I've been seeing rude comments on these forums lately, and I'm not liking it.

@OP, yeah, the green isn't my color, but god, it looks AWESOME cuz its all like glossy, i think they also replace the plastic to do that, awesome macbook, i think you're gonna have to force yourself to own it for like 5 years to get the most out of it.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
That is extremely rude, I don't know, but I've been seeing rude comments on these forums lately, and I'm not liking it.

@OP, yeah, the green isn't my color, but god, it looks AWESOME cuz its all like glossy, i think they also replace the plastic to do that, awesome macbook, i think you're gonna have to force yourself to own it for like 5 years to get the most out of it.

I agree on both points. These forums, and forums in general, have just become a way for people to lash out at others from behind a protective barrier. I say every person logging on to the Internet needs to have a picture ID and an address associated with them so that they can't hide behind their screens anymore...

Another thing to add to your comments would be the fact that it's so original! And in a world that's adopting Apple technology more and more (Apple became the leading Notebook supplier to Universities/Colleges I think), that's a good way to stand out.

It might be rude if you were the ugly laptop in question, otherwise.. not so much.

No, it's just plain rude. I believe in opinions and expressing them, but his post would have sufficed if it ended after the first period. Anything following was just an insult IMO

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
No, it's just plain rude. I believe in opinions and expressing them, but his post would have sufficed if it ended after the first period. Anything following was just an insult IMO

Good thing we're both entitled to our opinions. Personally, I like it. I've always liked that color of green and it suits a Mac.
But I can see how some people might be purists and not want to ruin a perfectly good laptop with some fancy-dancy paint job.

(No more off topic posts about rudeness in the forums, thanks.)

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
Nice paint job, it looks cool. Although it's not my thing, congrats!

I think a nice silver metallic would look cool painted like that. It would kinda look like a pro, but more like the iPod Classic with the white wheel and metallic finish.

The only problem with this if it chips or gets scratched, it's going to be white.

jaded-mandarin

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
UK
Any voluntary contributions to my new fund? It's called, erm, Help me Pay to Get my MacBook Sprayed Pink. A worthy cause, I think you'll agree.

picture1ma9.png

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
How much did it cost you in the end? Shipping, taxes, and whatnot included? And how long did it take start to finish?

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I love how the finish looks, but I would have probably gone for a lighter color of green. Awesome overall!

Wish I had the cash hehe

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
green is not my color either, but it looks great

how does it deal with wear/chipping?

Domofloge

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
New Jersey
AWESOME!! I love it dude. I'm definitely doing this for my next Macbook.

It looks like they did a great/quality job with the paint..

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
how does it deal with wear/chipping?

Well my wife has her iPhone painted by the same company and she dropped it on the granite countertop and it chip. Colorware will allow you to send it in for a repainting for a fee so at least you have that option. Really though if you dropped your Macbook I would expect it to cause some damage. I do know that the normal scratches and wear that a Macbook gets does not happen once it has been painted because of the scratch resistant paint.

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
How much did it cost you in the end? Shipping, taxes, and whatnot included? And how long did it take start to finish?

Well the price to start is the standard Macbook price plus $450 for a basic paint job and another $40 for Fedex shipping. No sales tax which is nice.

The process takes about 3 weeks from order to delivery.

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
Envy Green MacBook RETURNED

So I just thought I would put a final note on this thread about the Envy Green MacBook and Colorware. After using the computer for a few days I noticed the keyboard and track pad clicker were not "feeling" quite right. I compared the new computer to my 2.16ghz MacBook and noticed that in fact the keyboard keys were going down lower than the old MacBook. Also the track pad clicker was not depressing all the way and did not make a solid click sound. After further review I noticed EVERYTHING on the computer was not set in correctly including the power button, Apple logo on the front and even the rubber feet on the bottom. They all were set in lower than the original. Normally this would not have bothered me but since it was causing me to have typing problems and worries that the track pad clicker might go bad someday I returned the product. I had to pay for the shipping back to them and did not get refunded for the original shipping charges either so I lost about $60 altogether. I love my Colorware iPhone but as far as the laptops go I would stay away from them.:(

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
By the way I got a MacBook Pro 2.2ghz refurbished off Apple.com and love it so much better. The screen is brighter and much easier to read because of it's size. I am actually happy I returned the MacBook now because I have a much better computer in the end.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.