Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

140835-2009-03-04imac-8.jpg_425.jpg
Engadget has posted an unboxing gallery of the new iMac. Externally, there is not much different in the new machine with the exception the removal of the FireWire 400 port and addition of a mini DisplayPort. The new iMac does come with the keypad-less keyboard (pictured above). MacRumors readers who are waiting on delivery of their new iMacs are congregating in this thread.

Meanwhile iFixit has disassembled the iMac completely and provided their usual detailed gallery.

Primate Labs has already posted some benchmarks of the new iMacs and Mac minis. Unsurprisingly they found that processor speed has not improved significantly between the older and the new models:processor performance hasnt increased substantially in the latest hardware; the performance increase seems to scale with processor speed. This isnt surprising, since neither the iMac nor the Mac mini moved to a new processor architecture.Geekbench, however, only measures processor and memory performance and does not measure graphics card performance. The main improvement in these models was a move to an NVIDIA-based architecture with improved integrated graphics. This should improve graphics benchmarks and will also provide additional benefits when Snow Leopard is released.

Article Link: Unboxing of the Early 2009 NVIDIA iMac, Early Benchmarks

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
and the cpu numbers are

Intel Core 2 Duo E8435 3.06 GHz (2 cores)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8335 2.93 GHz (2 cores)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8135 2.66 GHz (2 cores)

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Can someone help explain to me what the advantage is of having an "nvidia chipset"? How is this different from the graphics card itself? I understand that snow leopard is going to take advantage of the computational power of the grahphics card in order to speed things up... but what's the difference between using the graphics card and using "the chipset"? I have the now-previous generation iMac 24" 3.06GHz with Geforce 8800 GS graphics card. Will my computer significantly underperform a similarly equipped computer with an "nvidia chipset" with snow leopard?

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Not an amazing update. Another thing they changed was the stand. It now tapers like the 24" LED cinema display.

I really like the Radeon 4850, though!

edgew8

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Hmm, looks like a performance drop for the Imac and a bump up for the mini.

I am looking at this "update" as a clever way of dropping the price of the 2008 lineup, while apple can maintain its image of premium priced computers (maximum profit!!!) to stockholders with the "updated" models.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
That GeekBench was used makes the tests almost completely meaningless for me.

If I run GeekBench 10 times on my MP I get ten quite different results. It's gotta be the worst BM utility I've ever come across.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

I am looking at this "update" as a clever way of dropping the price of the 2008 lineup, while apple can maintain its image of premium priced computers (maximum profit!!!) to stockholders with the "updated" models.
My money is on the 9400M G in the iMac and shared video RAM taking a few refresh cycles away from the CPU and memory for display purposes.

That GeekBench was used makes the tests almost completely meaningless for me.

If I run GeekBench 10 times on my MP I get ten quite different results. It's gotta be the worst BM utility I've ever come across.
Under the same conditions? What about your background applications?

Boo! on the keyboard without a numpad. I hate typing numbers across the top. Ugh!
You can order a keyboard with the numpad.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Boo! on the keyboard without a numpad. I hate typing numbers across the top. Ugh!

boonedocks

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
When I first saw that keyboard photo I imagined it to be a numeric keypad-less keyboard with a giant multi-touch trackpad. That would be very cool.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
As an iMac owner I find this update to be fairly minor. In fact, I'm very happy I bought my iMac in Dec '07, as the line hasn't seen any siginficant updates since, as is perfectly ilustrated here - glad to see my machine isn't obsolete yet! I guess we'll have to wait for a new chipset to come along before we see any real significant changes to the iMac line. That or Blu Ray. :p

pwille

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2008
Can someone help explain to me what the advantage is of having an "nvidia chipset"? How is this different from the graphics card itself? I understand that snow leopard is going to take advantage of the computational power of the grahphics card in order to speed things up... but what's the difference between using the graphics card and using "the chipset"? I have the now-previous generation iMac 24" 3.06GHz with Geforce 8800 GS graphics card. Will my computer significantly underperform a similarly equipped computer with an "nvidia chipset" with snow leopard?

I have the same question anubis. I have the current iMac 24" 3.06GHz w/Geforce 8800 GS graphics card. Is the new chipset really that much faster?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have the same question anubis. I have the current iMac 24" 3.06GHz w/Geforce 8800 GS graphics card. Is the new chipset really that much faster?

No. You have an nvidea chipset as well, as the 8800GS is an nvidea card. That 8800 will beat all of the nvidea cards available in the new imac lineup.

Ironically, the only card in the new imac lineup that would outperform what you have is the one non-nvidea card: the ATI 4850.

moracity

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007

I agree, this was just a value update to setup a new pricing structure. This is purely an attempt to stimulate sales. In the fall, the 20-in will probably be gone and we will see a processor change and LED-backlit display, at least in the top-end model. We may even see a larger display, but 24-in may be as large as most people will need or want - too much screen space to move the mouse around. Maybe a 26-in or 32-in Apple TV (AppleTV+Display). That seems like the next logical step.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Under the same conditions? What about your background applications?

Yes sir. I'm a smart old guy and been around computers since before the 1st ever PCs. So yes, I've tested GeekBench under many different conditions including settled after a cold start - unplugged from the net. Happens over several versions too.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Externally, there is not much different in the new machine with the exception of a FireWire 800 port and mini DisplayPort.

Question about that: does the new imac have 2 FW 800 ports? Because my previous gen 20" 2.66 has one FW 400 and one FW 800.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.