Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
The other day I was testing 1Password, the new 'Family' option. I installed 1Password 6, and it was working fine.

I then went to uninstall it, for the purpose of reinstalling it later. There were a few issues with the app missing a sync field.

In doing so, when I'd try to reinstall it, or update it, it would state, "Previous version exist, uninstall first".

To uninstall, aren't the steps to either:

- go to Applications, drag application to Trash

- go to Applications, right click on the application and choose, "Move to Trash"

...?

I don't understand how the application isn't listed in Applications, yet, the OS seems to think that 1Password 6, is still installed.

Reactions: Jeff Brown

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The other day I was testing 1Password, the new 'Family' option. I installed 1Password 6, and it was working fine.

I then went to uninstall it, for the purpose of reinstalling it later. There were a few issues with the app missing a sync field.

In doing so, when I'd try to reinstall it, or update it, it would state, "Previous version exist, uninstall first".

To uninstall, aren't the steps to either:

- go to Applications, drag application to Trash

- go to Applications, right click on the application and choose, "Move to Trash"

...?

I don't understand how the application isn't listed in Applications, yet, the OS seems to think that 1Password 6, is still installed.

1) If the Trash hasn't been emptied, it will still detect it as being installed.

2) Occasionally a few applications install components to multiple hidden folders, so when reinstalling it, they may still detect as being installed. If you've ever used any Native Instruments applications, they can write the book on this.

For future reference, you can completely uninstall an application along with all its other components by dragging it into AppCleaner. Links are below:

AppCleaner for OS X 10.10 to 10.11
AppCleaner for OS X 10.6 to 10.10

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.