Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Any objections to this unit for my 12 core? http://excessups.com/smartups-1400-su1400net-beige-p-40.html
Or this? http://www.upsforless.com/trtismart1500ref.aspx
I returned my avr1350 today. Buzzing pissed me' off, or should I instead buy this cyberpower adaptive signwave model?
Either would do, but the Tripp Lite already has a USB interface. The APC SU1400NET doesn't (RS232 port only). In the past, the USB to RS232 cables didn't work under OS X, so users had to find a PCIe based Serial card that will work under OS X.

vogelhausdesign

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Nano you're awesome. You should be getting paid for all the solid advice you've given people over the years.

Has anyone else seen a good deal on a solid refurb lately? So many on the net.. Post a link please if you do, I need to make a purchase asap.

vogelhausdesign

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
If anyone comes across a good deal on a refurbished smart UPS with sine, 1350-1500VA in the $120-270 range please, post it here. I'm not the only one who recently returned an AVR unit and are left to make a new order. Many could benefit if we use our MR-Forum hive-mind to find good deals!!

Thanks gentleman.

hnr2802

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
hi all, i hope anyone could help me.
just upgrade from imac i5 to mac pro quadcore 2010. before this im using apc ups 650va. read through apple support forum only find power consumption for mac pro 2009 model. it stated 265watt (without monitor). my question is could i use the existing ups on my mac pro or i need higher va?

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
hi all, i hope anyone could help me.
just upgrade from imac i5 to mac pro quadcore 2010. before this im using apc ups 650va. read through apple support forum only find power consumption for mac pro 2009 model. it stated 265watt (without monitor). my question is could i use the existing ups on my mac pro or i need higher va?

That UPS might work OK if you can set the MP for a quick auto-shutdown. Note: The MP PSU will likely buzz with that UPS due to the non-sine wave output from the UPS.

As an aside, every tech junkie should have one of these Watt meters:
http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1286115849&sr=8-1-catcorr

I will post my MP's power usage later today.
JohnG

hnr2802

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
thanks johnnymg.
i read about the buzzing issues on non-sine wave ups but may i know the technical reason why it is buzzing?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Sigh. Here's a better explanation.

You know how a prism takes white light and makes it into a rainbow? It is an optical way to see the spectrum of frequencies that constitutes the white light. White light from the sun and from incandescent light-bulbs has a continuous spectrum. Light from fluorescent lamps and gas-discharge lamps might look white-ish to your eyes but, viewed through a prism, its spectrum is composed of narrow lines rather than a smooth spectrum. These lines correspond to the pure frequencies of excited atoms in the phosphor or gas-discharge in the lamp.

A sine-wave is a pure frequency. If you were to make the same sort of analysis using an electronic equivalent of a prism, you'd see just the narrow line corresponding to its frequency. For mains current in much of the world, that would be 60Hz. Elsewhere (for example in Europe) it's 50Hz. Electronic equipment is designed to digest that frequency.

A square wave, run through the same analysis, would yield a spectrum with the desired big/narrow line at the mains-current frequency but also many higher-frequency spikes. This is because the square wave is not smooth but has sharp corners. Those high-frequency spikes are tough on your electronics. They cause the buzzing you hear, because your electronics are not really designed to absorb those additional frequencies.

Bottom line: your costly digital electronics prefer sinewave UPSes. Your ears probably will too.

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
Any objections to this unit for my 12 core? http://excessups.com/smartups-1400-su1400net-beige-p-40.html
Or this? http://www.upsforless.com/trtismart1500ref.aspx
I returned my avr1350 today. Buzzing pissed me' off, or should I instead buy this cyberpower adaptive signwave model?

Look for the MGE ellipse premium 1200 for no buzzes.
Or..
GEt the APC SUA2200I, it buzzes, it has an extremely loud fan, it's always conditioning the output and can keep a machine like yours for something like 1 hour and it's extremely easy to replace the battery pack.

It's a tradeoff, commodity for performance.

vogelhausdesign

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Hey guys I need some purchasing advice ASAP. I'm between the APC SMT1500 LCD , and the older SUA1500. My concern is fan noise , I'm reading that without new firmware the smt1500 LCD uses it's fans constantly. I'm buying refurbished and they're very close in price and I'm leaning toward the Smt for the LCD and newer tech.

Since I'm buying refurbed, will I be able to get new firmware? Please, if you read this and understand , help me' out. I truly appreciate it! Need to purchase by tomorrow .

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Hey guys I need some purchasing advice ASAP. I'm between the APC SMT1500 LCD , and the older SUA1500. My concern is fan noise , I'm reading that without new firmware the smt1500 LCD uses it's fans constantly. I'm buying refurbished and they're very close in price and I'm leaning toward the Smt for the LCD and newer tech.

Since I'm buying refurbed, will I be able to get new firmware? Please, if you read this and understand , help me' out. I truly appreciate it! Need to purchase by tomorrow .
As it's just a download, I'd expect that APC will help you out if it doesn't already contain the newer firmware. Their enterprise support is quite good.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
Well, my UPS (1500VA TLV from APC) has started making a noisy buzzing sound for periods of time for no apparent reason. Just what I needed. Of course, this couldnt have started happening while I was still able to return it.

dholaday

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Put the review on NewEgg right after I posted here. Takes them a while to get review up - it's there now.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Got a Tripp Lite surge protector (3k joules) from wall to GeekSquad UPS 1500VA. Below are the spec's. Definitely doesn't use a pure sine wave, but looks like it uses a stepped sine wave?

Anyway to tell if it's Line Interactive?

Transfer time of 4ms, is that fast enough?

Bought it about more than a year ago for about a $100. My local Best Buy didn't want to carry them anymore so they were on sale. Definitely will get a Tripp Lite or APC SUA1500 after battery wears out. Am I ok to wait until battery wears out? Luckily, we don't get brown outs here. How bad is this GeekSquad UPS? Once in a while the GeekSquad UPS senses something and I am momentarily on battery power as notified by a message window on my MP.

SPECIFICATIONS

GS-1500U 1500VA/900W

Voltage range 90VAC-140VAC

Frequency range 57 Hz~63 Hz

On battery output voltage Simulated sine wave at 120VAC +/- 7%

On battery output frequency 60 Hz +/- 1%

Transfer time (typical) 4 ms

Overload protection On utility: circuit breaker
On battery: internal current limiting

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Got a Tripp Lite surge protector (3k joules) from wall to GeekSquad UPS 1500VA. Below are the spec's. Definitely doesn't use a pure sine wave, but looks like it uses a stepped sine wave?

Anyway to tell if it's Line Interactive?

Transfer time of 4ms, is that fast enough?

Bought it about more than a year ago for about a $100. My local Best Buy didn't want to carry them anymore so they were on sale. Definitely will get a Tripp Lite or APC SUA1500 after battery wears out. Am I ok to wait until battery wears out? Luckily, we don't get brown outs here. How bad is this GeekSquad UPS? Once in a while the GeekSquad UPS senses something and I am momentarily on battery power as notified by a message window on my MP.
It's probably a Line Interactive (4ms is fine), but we'd need the exact model number to be sure (BTW, I suspect it's a re-branded CyberPower unit).

However, stepped inverters do not play well with PFC based power supplies (the MP's is). It's in the design, not limited to a specific brand (APC, Tripp Lite, Eaton, ... models of this type all suffer the same problem - they can actually damage the PSU in the system, and they're not all that stable).

So if possible, its advisable to swap it out now.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
It's a GS-1500U. Forget to mention this Geek Squad UPS has "AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) system increases low voltage to a computer-safe 110/120V. The Geek Squad GS-1285U/GS-1500U automatically provides battery backup if the voltage drops below 90V or exceeds 140V." Would that show it's Line-Interactive?

Tripp Lite's SU11500XL is $539 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SU...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1289881040&sr=1-1

Sounds like a good price compared to APC SURTA1500XL at Amazon for $960: http://www.amazon.com/APC-Smart-UPS...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1289881148&sr=1-1

It's probably a Line Interactive (4ms is fine), but we'd need the exact model number to be sure (BTW, I suspect it's a re-branded CyberPower unit).

However, stepped inverters do not play well with PFC based power supplies (the MP's is). It's in the design, not limited to a specific brand (APC, Tripp Lite, Eaton, ... models of this type all suffer the same problem - they can actually damage the PSU in the system, and they're not all that stable).

So if possible, its advisable to swap it out now.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
It's a GS-1500U. Forget to mention this Geek Squad UPS has "AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) system increases low voltage to a computer-safe 110/120V. The Geek Squad GS-1285U/GS-1500U automatically provides battery backup if the voltage drops below 90V or exceeds 140V." Would that show it's Line-Interactive?
Yes, it's a Line Interactive unit (AVR = uses a multi-tapped transformer to pick up or lower the wall voltage to an acceptable level when not on battery).

They're both Online units, so the Tripp Lite is cheaper initially. But what you have to keep in mind, is that the batteries for the Tripp Lite are more expensive.

So over time, the Tripp Lite may not be as inexpensive (i.e. figure 12yrs of service life, and replacing the batteries every 3 years; so unit + 3x battery replacements). You have to run the numbers (especially important in other countries, as they may have drastically different prices on the units). But considering new only, the Tripp Lite is the cheaper way to go (read on as to why).

If you go back and read through the entire thread, there's more information on this, including refurbished units (offer the best value).

Now when comparing a new Tripp Lite vs. a refurbished APC (refurbished Tripp Lites are harder to find for a direct comparison), it comes out in favor of APC due to the less expensive battery replacements.

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
Interesting review on Tom's hardware recommending CyperPower's CP1500PFCLCD which uses an "adaptive sine wave" (in between modified and pure sine wave). CyperPower says their "adaptive sine wave" addresses the problem of zero state power of modified sine waves with PFC PSUs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...p1500pfclcd-tripp-lite-smart1500slt,2785.html

There's a thread on here from about a month ago discussing those models. The few who have bought one gave very favorable reviews. I just ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
There's a thread on here from about a month ago discussing those models. The few who have bought one gave very favorable reviews. I just ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive.
Yes, but you can still get a refurbished pure sine wave unit for the same money, perhaps a bit less (personally, I'd wait for a longer track record from the CyberPower unit - more time = more users reporting their experiences with it, particularly longer term). And between the two types, a pure sine wave is a better unit to have (will not cause problems with PFC based power supplies, have a long track record = known to work, and continue to do so even after the warranty period has expired).

Just a thought. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.