Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bsunarjo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
How do I edit the list at the beginning? Two more additions:
Secrets password manager runs as a universal binary and
Rogue Amoeba has public M1 betas available (Fission, Airfoil, Audio Hijack, SoundSource etc.)

Reactions: gank41

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
Just curious: when you first open an Intel app, you have to install Rosetta. Is there also a way to remove Rosetta afterwards? Without a clean install of your entire system, that is.

Reactions: Zazoh and tCC_

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
Just curious: when you first open an Intel app, you have to install Rosetta. Is there also a way to remove Rosetta afterwards? Without a clean install of your entire system, that is.
If it is like Rosetta 1 it just disappeared with the OS update that dropped Rosetta 1 support (even if I years later found residual files that I removed manually).

Reactions: NewUsername

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
Also for the record I’ve gotten OneNote to work under Rosetta.

What I did was:
1. uninstall onenote
2. Purge the system of all onenote related files and folders
3. Reboot
4. Install OneNote again

This might be worth a try if anyone else have trouble with apps through rosetta. My speculation is that something went wrong with the first rosetta translation of the app because I restored my system from an TM backup on witch Onenote was allready installed.

Now 100% of the apps I need for my work related workflow are up and running.

• Love
Reactions: MandiMac

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Also for the record I’ve gotten OneNote to work under Rosetta.

What I did was:
1. uninstall onenote
2. Purge the system of all onenote related files and folders
3. Reboot
4. Install OneNote again

This might be worth a try if anyone else have trouble with apps through rosetta. My speculation is that something went wrong with the first rosetta translation of the app because I restored my system from an TM backup on witch Onenote was allready installed.

Now 100% of the apps I need for my work related workflow are up and running.
First, I think Rosetta 2 is here to stay for compatibility reasons. If the performance is so good, there's more for Apple to lose than to win when cutting off Rosetta 2.

Second: I had the same problem like you described when restoring my system from a Time Machine backup. I had trouble with Magnet and BOINC - I just uninstalled the two apps and re-installed them. A matter of mere minutes, really.

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
I had the same problem like you described when restoring my system from a Time Machine backup. I had trouble with Magnet and BOINC - I just uninstalled the two apps and re-installed them. A matter of mere minutes, really.
I did several tries with simple uninstall and reinstall with OneNote without success, but the method I described above finally worked. So I just thought I could share if anyone else have problems with some app.

• Love
Reactions: MandiMac

DogcowUK

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Installed Creative Cloud for the first time last night (new MBP arrival) At first noticed everything Adobe in activity monitor was running as Intel, this morning I noticed the Creative Cloud menu bar icon had changed (clearer, crisper) and the Creative Cloud app itself now has a Beta style icon. Activity monitor now has several of the background Adobe processes running Apple Silicon native.

Not sure if this was a silent update perhaps or has been the norm. I hadn't chosen to install the Photoshop Beta when this happened.

Reactions: widEyed

widEyed

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
Apple Silicon compatibility
Native compatibility is planned for 2021. Adobe is committed to ensuring Lightroom Classic is available on all major platforms and surfaces, including running natively on Apple devices with M1 processors.

There are no known issues specific to running Lightoom Classic 10.x under Rosetta 2 emulation mode on Apple devices with M1 processors running macOS BigSur (version 11).
=====
I had to smile at the 'known issues' comment. I still have workarounds in my workflow for bugs that I reported eight years ago, aren't fixed and aren't on the 'known issues' list
Adobe software gets less reliable year in year out. And the features added fail to impress the way they did 10-20 years ago.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Adobe software gets less reliable year in year out. And the features added fail to impress the way they did 10-20 years ago.

That’s as far from the truth as possible. Whenever I see someone say this I know exactly what they are about ? and they need to grow up and not repeat what cheap miscreants and pirates say on forums.

• Angry
Reactions: redcaptrickster

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
First, I think Rosetta 2 is here to stay for compatibility reasons. If the performance is so good, there's more for Apple to lose than to win when cutting off Rosetta 2.

Second: I had the same problem like you described when restoring my system from a Time Machine backup. I had trouble with Magnet and BOINC - I just uninstalled the two apps and re-installed them. A matter of mere minutes, really.
Can you expand on what Apple will lose? To me, it cost Apple more to maintain Rosetta by testing every OS changes in every macOS update for both ARM/Intel. They have every intention to drop new sales of Intel SKUs within a year and half and then they'll stop optimizing for Intel for a year or so and then finally they'll start producing ARM only of macOS and that is likely when Rosetta is gone. Apple has a history of doing this.

I also think the performance being so good is why Apple will kill it, they need to incentivize the remaining devs to produce native ARM builds.

widEyed

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
That’s as far from the truth as possible. Whenever I see someone say this I know exactly what they are about ? and they need to grow up and not repeat what cheap miscreants and pirates say on forums.
I pay a subscription for Adobe CC and have done since it began. In corporate world had bulk Adobe licences and we got special talks and level of support.

I’ve had more indesign bugs and catastrophic failures and one instance where a large document got infected with a weird bug that Adobe support staff refused to acknowledge was a known issue for a couple of days. The work around was open in a previous years version of ID which lost some of the features I was using. Was on a tight deadline and lost a client over the delays. It was to do with tables corrupting themselves at random points in time. Like a cancer and uncontrollable or avoidable. Was five years ago. Illustrator used to be pretty much rock solid. Now they need to have crash recovery because it falls over all the time.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Sorry if this has been commented on prior, but has anyone tried installing the Brave.ipa file from their iPad via iMazing or Apple Configurator 2 on their M1 Macs? Just curious how well that browser would run, considering it’s still using Safari on the backend for the iOS/iPadOS app, right?

David Hassholehoff

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2020
The beach
I've personally always found Firefox slower than Chrome and Safari on both Intel and ARM.

Not sure if you saw my ninja edit but the Gecko engine used by Firefox is less secure than the Chromium engine in case that swings you any. If you are mistrusting of Google (perfectly understandably) there's many open source Chromium based browsers including some that have privacy features built right in, the most popular ones being Brave and Vivaldi.

At the moment I'm using Chrome just because Brave and Vivaldi don't have ARM builds yet.
I used Safari as primary browser and Firefox as secondary until Apple screwed with the API and all plugins had to be rewritten/updated. Now I use Firefox with plugins as primary browser and Safari without plugins as secondary. There are three that I really can't do without.
  • Tridactyl
  • uBlock Origin
  • uMatrix
I know both uBlock Origin and uMatrix exists for other browsers as well, but Tridactyl is far more advanced than what substitutes I've seen for other browsers.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I added a bunch of apps but forgot to post the additions here, so here they are:

Bartender
CleanShot X
Google Chrome Dev / Canary
Karabiner Elements
mmhmm
PixelSnap
Reeder
Rocket
Screens

Protip: if you want to see what apps are universal on your system launch System Information, go to Applications, and then sort by "Unidentified Developer". It'll group all of the third-party apps together so you can easily see what's compiled as a Universal binary.
I went to install the latest version of Karabiner Elements (13.1.0) which is on this list and claims to support Apple Silicon, yet the installer wants to install Rosetta. What's up with that?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
PhotosRevive from Needed Apps also reports as "Apple" architecture in Activity Monitor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.11.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.11.36 PM.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 96

hirjia

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2020
I am running Beta 11.1 and it is working great with the apps I tried: Quicken 2020 and my old Homeworld and Pharaoh games
Hello. When I install quicken 2020 on crossover it hangs at .net framework 2.0. Can you pls tell us how you got quicken to install and run?

burni

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2020
I renamed my HD and Adobe Illustrator wouldn’t run until I changed it back to Macintosh HD. Not sure if that happens on Intel as well, but maybe it helps someone.

Also Adobe Illustrator has locked up my M1 MBP twice now, requiring a ‘10 sec power button’ restart. Also had some very long pauses in Photoshop. So I’d be wary if you use CC. Luckily I only need it for a much smaller percentage of my work these days and have been switching to my trust old 2013 15” MBP (hello fan noise!).

I grabbed the demos of Affinity to see if it was time to drop CC. So much basic stuff missing from that software, its not even remotely viable for me. Also didn’t feel particularly Mac like. It’s just like they are trying to do the same as Adobe and have their own design language (which I don’t like). Quite sad to think I’m stuck with Adobe. It’s not even the money, I just dislike having the bloatwear on my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.