Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrecoISU

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I've been an unlimited data person for a long time. Hoping FCC steps in and pressures AT&T like they did with Verizon but I was looking through the service agreement and summarized it here:

We'll do whatever the hell we want to do and redefine the word 'unlimited' so that it meets our needs.

Here is what it really says:

Unlimited Data Customers . If you are a grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan data service customer, you agree that "unlimited" means you pay a fixed monthly charge for wireless data service regardless of how much data you use. You further agree that "unlimited" does not mean that you can use AT&T's wireless data service in any way that you choose or for any prohibited activities, and that if you use your unlimited data plan in any manner that is prohibited, AT&T can limit, restrict, suspend or terminate your data service or switch you to a tiered data plan.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've been an unlimited data person for a long time. Hoping FCC steps in and pressures AT&T like they did with Verizon but I was looking through the service agreement and summarized it here:

Don't count on it. AT&T is probably never bringing back unlimited data. They're offering every incentive that they can for people to switch to tiered data. There's just far more money to be made by having people pay for data in tiers and pay overages and that's what it's all about. They've been throttling "unlimited" users for years now so at this point I doubt the FCC will do anything about it. If you need more than 5GB either switch to Mobile Share or switch carriers.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Don't count on it. AT&T is probably never bringing back unlimited data. They're offering every incentive that they can for people to switch to tiered data. There's just far more money to be made by having people pay for data in tiers and pay overages and that's what it's all about. They've been throttling "unlimited" users for years now so at this point I doubt the FCC will do anything about it. If you need more than 5GB either switch to Mobile Share or switch carriers.

Well I wouldn't say they are offering every incentive they can. A single line user on grandfathered unlimited still has little reason to change to a new plan.

However, I agree that AT&T probably isn't going to budge from its current policy.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
I wouldn't hold your breath about the FCC stepping in.
IIRC this policy has been in place for many years (4?) so it isn't as if this is something new that the FCC just noticed.

Not defending AT&T but unlimited just means that there are no overage charges. It never says that there is a minimum speed which is guaranteed.

If the FCC does decide to step in, I would expect AT&T to try and change their policy about keeping the plan when you change phones or other aspects of your plan.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Lets be realistic. The people who abused unlimited ruined it for everyone. You have nothing but yourselves to blame.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
Lets be realistic. The people who abused unlimited ruined it for everyone. You have nothing but yourselves to blame.

Actually, it isn't people who abused it since I doubt many people were using 1T of data on their phone every month.

It is the dishonest and unethical "people" (i use that word loosely) who violated the TOS by using it in tether mode.

bronzini

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Well I wouldn't say they are offering every incentive they can. A single line user on grandfathered unlimited still has little reason to change to a new plan.

However, I agree that AT&T probably isn't going to budge from its current policy.

Agreed. I'm one of those folks. Single line grandfathered unlimited.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I think the 30GB mobile share plan is better than unlimited. Instead of 5GB of data, you now have 30GB high speed.

wordsworth03

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
I don't understand how ATT can evade FCC rules when Verizon couldn't. It seems that if the FCC were to actually enforce rules and start fining companies, it wouldn't matter what the fine print said.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I don't understand how ATT can evade FCC rules when Verizon couldn't. It seems that if the FCC were to actually enforce rules and start fining companies, it wouldn't matter what the fine print said.

Because Verizon's LTE spectrum came with special restrictions when they got it from the FCC, AT&T's didn't.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
It depends on how many phones you have. That plan would cost more, for me.

I just have the one phone. I'm currently throttled but the phone is still quite usable. I can stream music no problem. Video is another story. The quality of video is poor while throttled but still watchable.

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Actually, it isn't people who abused it since I doubt many people were using 1T of data on their phone every month.

It is the dishonest and unethical "people" (i use that word loosely) who violated the TOS by using it in tether mode.

Unethical? We pay good money for that data, we should be able to use it any way we please. It shouldn't be any of their business what devices happen to be using it on.

Last edited:

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I took over a month to month Verizon Unlimited data plan a couple of days ago. I had ATT for about 10 years now, with unlimited. I got tired of the throttling. Now I am use as much as I want without throttling.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I think the 30GB mobile share plan is better than unlimited. Instead of 5GB of data, you now have 30GB high speed.

not for a single line.

----------

Verizon makes you pay full price for your phone if you want to keep unlimited. I'll take throttling at 5gigs over full price phones any day.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Unethical? We pay good money for that data, we should be able to use it any way we please. It shouldn't be any of their business what devices happen to be using it on.

You pay good money for unlimited data on your phone. Not unlimited data on your phone and anything you can tether to it.

Paying for unlimited data on your phone and then tethering is like paying for an all you can eat buffet and sneaking out to-go containers of food to eat later.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
AT&T are just biding their time until they can get rid of all the old plans AND unlimited data.

I wish they'd offer rollover data.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014

No, you are completely wrong and don't understand.

You should only be able to use it based on the terms that you paid for it.

Those terms are no tethering.

Grow up.

----------

How are they abusing it if it was marketed as unlimited? Isnt that what it means?

The abuse was that people tethered which was explicitly against the TOS for the AT&T unlimited plan.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

And here's what I said to them: Screw you. Switched carriers. Bye bye.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
You pay good money for unlimited data on your phone. Not unlimited data on your phone and anything you can tether to it.

Paying for unlimited data on your phone and then tethering is like paying for an all you can eat buffet and sneaking out to-go containers of food to eat later.

Same thing. i can eat a **** ton of food at an all you can eat buffet. or i can take it with me. it doesn't matter where I eat the food, inside or outside. And if it does matter that much to people, then they have a stick up their ass

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
AT&T rarely throttles my unlimited speeds and I know I've gone over the 5GB limit a few times since getting a LTE smartphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.