Unlocked 3G iPhone to Launch in Italy?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 21, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Repubblica reports that Telecom Italia will be launching the iPhone in Italy in the next few weeks for sale by the summer.

The new models is said to be based on 3G (UMTS) technology and will be sold originally through Telecom Italia Mobile (TIM). The phone will not be locked to any provider, though TIM will have the inital advantage with a few month lead time over other carriers.

According to MacRumors reader grigio, the main points are as follows:
    Apple has been rumored to be launching the 3G iPhone in the coming months with most expecations at a June (WWDC) U.S. launch.

Article Link

2. Eärendil Guest

Wow

Im gonna have to buy an iPhone in Italy.

I think it might happen, 30% shure.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

A HIGHER selling price? Great, that's just what we needed... back to $599 maybe? :D

But this is a good sign if it means we can soon get unlocked iPhones, say, in Canada... :p

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This sounds really good. When they say "by summer" does this mean that we may see it on the shelves before WWDC? That would be very interesting.

5. RealMcCoy macrumors member

RealMcCoy

6. mags631 Guest

Do you think carriers would be able to subsidize the purchase of the phone in exchange for a contract? Apple makes its money and consumers get a phone that doesn't cost as much upfront. I don't see any reason why Apple would make carriers agree to not subsidize their phones. Thoughts?

7. i.maverick macrumors regular

i.maverick

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Ooh. Two things I'd like to buy in one place. And one of them is Italian Leather.

mmm. supple.

9. Pintagrinta macrumors newbie

hi,

i'm italian and after this news i'm sure that i'll buy my 3G phone in the apple store in USA when it come on the market...

in Italy it will cost about 499€ i think (~700$) and it's a thief imho...

just watch the price of all the other apple (and not) products... if in USA costs 399$ in italy cost 399€ ...
    i don't like this...

bye..

10. Steoke macrumors newbie

Finally...

I would expect them to do so...

There has been a huge amount of protest against the single carrier-offer (and here in Belgium it's against the law).

On top of that: iPhone-sales didn't reach their target in Europe (or so they say) so it might be reasonable to think Apple is going to change strategy... and I for one would be happy!

Maybe this means that WWDC wil get a full international launch with the saying 'iPhone 3G available in every store in 2 weeks!'! Come on Steve...
    :)

11. macerroneous macrumors regular

Iphone rebate

This rumor supports my previously stated arguments. The only way to handle all the international shifting of product is to charge a boatload for the phone and offer a BIG rebate for service contract. You might here this direct from Apple on April 23. Just opinion. And yes, we will BUY it.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's not a very high level of confidence.. :p ;)

My friend has been using his iPhone here for a while now off the Rogers network and has commented that it would be nice not to have to jailbreak it as well. :)

13. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

like i have said in numerous other post :apple: does not up their prices they only lower or stay the same. unless it has to do with a major hardware change like the 16gb in the iphone but a 3g chip does not cost much more than an edge; chip so stop talking about the price going up and start worrying about when it will happen

14. shov macrumors member

a bit off topic:

"2) No revenue sharing, instead an higher selling price."

Is it a US thing to use an 'an' in front of words beginning with H? I see it quite a lot on these message boards. Much like 'could care less' it doesn't quite make sense to my arrogant British mind...

a bit on topic:
    if this is true, i wonder how it'll pan out in countries where the iPhone is locked; especially with EU law?

15. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

When his Steveness says "by summer" he means the last day of summer.

The last day of summer is September 21st.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Don't forget some gelato and nice red wine while you're there. ;)

17. alcibiade macrumors newbie

iPhone in Italy, at last!
    A recent survey said that Italy has more mobile phones than people and on ebay.it every day are sold dozen of jailbroken iPhones.

In addition there's no 2G mobiles phones in the stores, anymore. UMTS network is very very wide and efficient. An *old* GSM/EDGE iPhone in Italy would be craziness.

I only hope that Repubblica.it sources are well-founded.

PS: "higher selling price"....higher than what? US dollars or Euro selling price? Because, you know, 400 USD = 260 Euros...

18. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

hmm

the US would get the first 3G iphones. Total BS.

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's not an entirely American thing, but I'm pretty sure it's considered proper English when dealing with typically silent 'H's, such as "an historical". The above example, though, not so much.

20. em500 macrumors regular

What's in it for Apple?

I wonder what's in it for Apple? If they don't get carrier revenue and the phones are unlocked, why would TIM get to sell it exclusively for a few months? Why wouldn't Apple just sell it unlocked to everyone? Maybe they get a lump sum payment from TIM?

21. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

No, in the States we work full 40 hour work weeks and do plenty of overtime. The "an" is surely a typo when this poor sap was multitasking and hit the "n" key and space bar at the same time.
    However, when our "h"s go silent at the beginning of a word, we tack on the "n" to our "a"s.
    Give it an hour, and you'll understand. That, at least, is an honest opinion. ;)

22. Kolind macrumors regular

This is getting very off topic, but surely, historical is not with a silent h? (I'm Danish, so if I'm wrong that's my excuse :p)

23. princigalli macrumors 6502a

princigalli

Italy has the most competitive mobile phone market in Europe and the most modern infrastructure. It was unlikely that a locked contraxt version with older technologz could make it in the market. Apple identified a few large and uncompetitive markets where the could experiment: USA, France, UK and Germany. Those are countries where mobile services are overpriced and carriers can get away doing anything they want with their customers. In Germany they still force two year contracts upon customers! Anyway I am one of the German Telecom victims. So we now know that Apple has been using us as beta testers, making us finance their program with huge monthly fees fow two years. The lucky Italian customers will certainly benefit from our efforts. Nice to know that our suffering will at least bring happyness to someone else. And Telecom Italia is probably the best mobile company in Europe with uncomparable serrvice.

24. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Aside from completrely killing the iPod market you mean?

25. gifford macrumors 6502

gifford

to run them on that extensive 3g network they have...