Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Unlocked 3G iPhone to Launch in Italy?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Repubblica reports that Telecom Italia will be launching the iPhone in Italy in the next few weeks for sale by the summer.

The new models is said to be based on 3G (UMTS) technology and will be sold originally through Telecom Italia Mobile (TIM). The phone will not be locked to any provider, though TIM will have the inital advantage with a few month lead time over other carriers.

According to MacRumors reader grigio, the main points are as follows:
1) Direct introduction of UMTS-capable 3G iPhones on the Italian market, skipping the current 2G version.
2) No revenue sharing, instead a higher selling price.
3) No permanent exclusive distribution by a single operator. Instead, TIM will be given the right to distribute the iPhone with some months of advance with respect to its UMTS competitors.
Apple has been rumored to be launching the 3G iPhone in the coming months with most expecations at a June (WWDC) U.S. launch.

Article Link

E

Eärendil

Wow

Im gonna have to buy an iPhone in Italy.

I think it might happen, 30% shure.

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
A HIGHER selling price? Great, that's just what we needed... back to $599 maybe? :D

But this is a good sign if it means we can soon get unlocked iPhones, say, in Canada... :p

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This sounds really good. When they say "by summer" does this mean that we may see it on the shelves before WWDC? That would be very interesting.

Comment

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Do you think carriers would be able to subsidize the purchase of the phone in exchange for a contract? Apple makes its money and consumers get a phone that doesn't cost as much upfront. I don't see any reason why Apple would make carriers agree to not subsidize their phones. Thoughts?

Comment

Pintagrinta

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
hi,

i'm italian and after this news i'm sure that i'll buy my 3G phone in the apple store in USA when it come on the market...

in Italy it will cost about 499€ i think (~700$) and it's a thief imho...

just watch the price of all the other apple (and not) products... if in USA costs 399$ in italy cost 399€ ...
i don't like this...

bye..

Comment

Steoke

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Antwerp (Belgium)
Finally...

I would expect them to do so...

There has been a huge amount of protest against the single carrier-offer (and here in Belgium it's against the law).

On top of that: iPhone-sales didn't reach their target in Europe (or so they say) so it might be reasonable to think Apple is going to change strategy... and I for one would be happy!

Maybe this means that WWDC wil get a full international launch with the saying 'iPhone 3G available in every store in 2 weeks!'! Come on Steve...
:)

Comment

macerroneous

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
USA
Iphone rebate

This rumor supports my previously stated arguments. The only way to handle all the international shifting of product is to charge a boatload for the phone and offer a BIG rebate for service contract. You might here this direct from Apple on April 23. Just opinion. And yes, we will BUY it.

Comment

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
A HIGHER selling price? Great, that's just what we needed... back to $599 maybe? :D

But this is a good sign if it means we can soon get unlocked iPhones, say, in Canada... :p

like i have said in numerous other post :apple: does not up their prices they only lower or stay the same. unless it has to do with a major hardware change like the 16gb in the iphone but a 3g chip does not cost much more than an edge; chip so stop talking about the price going up and start worrying about when it will happen

Comment

shov

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
a bit off topic:

"2) No revenue sharing, instead an higher selling price."

Is it a US thing to use an 'an' in front of words beginning with H? I see it quite a lot on these message boards. Much like 'could care less' it doesn't quite make sense to my arrogant British mind...

a bit on topic:
if this is true, i wonder how it'll pan out in countries where the iPhone is locked; especially with EU law?

Comment

alcibiade

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
Italy
iPhone in Italy, at last!
A recent survey said that Italy has more mobile phones than people and on ebay.it every day are sold dozen of jailbroken iPhones.

In addition there's no 2G mobiles phones in the stores, anymore. UMTS network is very very wide and efficient. An *old* GSM/EDGE iPhone in Italy would be craziness.

I only hope that Repubblica.it sources are well-founded.

PS: "higher selling price"....higher than what? US dollars or Euro selling price? Because, you know, 400 USD = 260 Euros...

Comment

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
a bit off topic:

Is it a US thing to use an 'an' in front of words beginning with H? I see it quite a lot on these message boards. Much like 'could care less' it doesn't quite make sense to my arrogant British mind...

a bit on topic:
if this is true, i wonder how it'll pan out in countries where the iPhone is locked; especially with EU law?

It's not an entirely American thing, but I'm pretty sure it's considered proper English when dealing with typically silent 'H's, such as "an historical". The above example, though, not so much.

Comment

em500

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
What's in it for Apple?

I wonder what's in it for Apple? If they don't get carrier revenue and the phones are unlocked, why would TIM get to sell it exclusively for a few months? Why wouldn't Apple just sell it unlocked to everyone? Maybe they get a lump sum payment from TIM?

Comment

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
a bit off topic:

No, in the States we work full 40 hour work weeks and do plenty of overtime. The "an" is surely a typo when this poor sap was multitasking and hit the "n" key and space bar at the same time.
However, when our "h"s go silent at the beginning of a word, we tack on the "n" to our "a"s.
Give it an hour, and you'll understand. That, at least, is an honest opinion. ;)

Comment

Kolind

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Denmark
It's not an entirely American thing, but I'm pretty sure it's considered proper English when dealing with typically silent 'H's, such as "an historical". The above example, though, not so much.

This is getting very off topic, but surely, historical is not with a silent h? (I'm Danish, so if I'm wrong that's my excuse :p)

Comment

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
Italy has the most competitive mobile phone market in Europe and the most modern infrastructure. It was unlikely that a locked contraxt version with older technologz could make it in the market. Apple identified a few large and uncompetitive markets where the could experiment: USA, France, UK and Germany. Those are countries where mobile services are overpriced and carriers can get away doing anything they want with their customers. In Germany they still force two year contracts upon customers! Anyway I am one of the German Telecom victims. So we now know that Apple has been using us as beta testers, making us finance their program with huge monthly fees fow two years. The lucky Italian customers will certainly benefit from our efforts. Nice to know that our suffering will at least bring happyness to someone else. And Telecom Italia is probably the best mobile company in Europe with uncomparable serrvice.

Comment

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Do you think carriers would be able to subsidize the purchase of the phone in exchange for a contract? Apple makes its money and consumers get a phone that doesn't cost as much upfront. I don't see any reason why Apple would make carriers agree to not subsidize their phones. Thoughts?

Aside from completrely killing the iPod market you mean?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.