Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
There're many comments, in various threads, wishing Apple would slow down, or even stop, adding software features, and focus on tightening-up their software.

Many often cite Snow Leopard as being the heyday for Apple's "it just works" age, and I'm sure there's a similar reference for iOS. As Apple continues to strive to add more and more bells and whistles to their software, more and more bugs and inconsistencies are bound to come up.

As far as I know, this is somewhat inevitable with such a fast development cycle. I've heard people blame Apple's focus on pleasing shareholders first, and consumers second — drive more sales of the newest hardware models through software updates that require new purchases. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but you're here for a crazy and fun idea, not my ignorant speculation...

The idea...

Apple announces, in typical cryptic fashion, that the Apple polishing cloths will no longer be available until further notice.

Later, when it comes time for WWCD of that year, the theme is some clever variation on 'the year of polish' or 'our lineup has never been shinier' or something actually good.

The point:

Apple announces that the polishing cloths were no longer available to the public, as they were needed internally. They needed them so they could spend a full year focused on 'polishing' their existing offerings (not literally, of course - I'm talking software).

They announce the name of the new update to macOS as [clever name], and a video plays with a reel like: (with accompanying iOS and iPadOS versions)

New features: none!
Added functionality: none!
Pretty novelties: none!
Bugs fixed: 23,434,543
Consistency improved: 3,567,343 instances
Energy efficiency: up 363%
Crash decrease: 476%
User satisfaction: +254%
etc... (any metrics which can actually measure these improvements)
  • They talk about taking everything they already have, but has objectively needed more time to polish and refine, and then re-offering it in an update which re-commits to the principles of quality over quantity, reliability, and "it just works".
  • They talk about longer lasting hardware (due to more efficient and optimized software), in order to help with e-waste.
  • They talk about staying true to the principles which made them the most valuable company in the world.
  • They talk about defining their software in the same way they have done with their hardware: polished and refined to a level unmatched in the industry.
Then, at the end, they show a room full of Apple employees polishing MacBooks, iPhones, watches, and iPads. All getting shinier and shinier...

"The polishing cloths will be available again on [DATE]." <– the release date for the 'new' OS.

Shareholder relations...

There would need to be a separate, specific, presentation directed at shareholders, so they don't think Apple has gotten lazy and will lose sales.

This would be a long-term gain to offset the downturn in hardware sales, and to get fans to fall in love with their products again. If they pulled this off, then it would, hopefully, pull more and more people into the Apple ecosystem due to it's ease of use, consistency, and reliability — all things which used to be associated with Apple far more frequently.

Not gonna happen!

I know. I just thought it would be fun to write out and discuss.

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
I think Apple doing a PR stunt like that could easily be construed as a passive aggressive way of calling their own engineers incompetent. Not great for morale or for hiring new engineers.

And surely shareholders would not be happy about all those lost polishing cloth sales, regardless of any increase in user satisfaction scores. :p

I think a better solution for Apple would be to:

1) Push for more TDD(test driven development).

2) Hire engineers specifically to fix bugs so most teams have at least someone who can focus on just that.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
It's a fun idea for sure, but that would've been something we would've seen in Steve Jobs era, a time that has long passed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.