Unreleased iPad Mini With Redesigned Cellular Antenna Appears in Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

2. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I think it's pretty clear (overall design, colour, iPhone 6s antenna design, possibly headphone port) that this is a prototype of a model that could have been released some time ago - and not a prototype for any upcoming iPad mini. Instead, Apple decided to keep the current iPad mini on sale, and wait until this year (probably) to replace it.

If released, it would have been the model that would have stopped everyone speculating quite so soon that iPad mini was a defunct product line.

3. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Hopefully apple pencil 2 support as i already have one for my 11” ipad pro. I don’t want two pencils, and the first gen pencil is so awkward to charge. I really don’t see Apple making two different pencils for much longer.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2019 ---
    True. Over the last few years, there have been rumors of an update that never materialized. Could be Apple waited, and this is an older prototype. At least i hope so.

4. fokmik macrumors 68040

So after 3-4 years, from A8 ipad mini gets only A9? i hope its a mistake, and it will have A10
    I mean even the budget 9.7" ipad has A10

5. Zelda Chestnut macrumors newbie

I feel like it would have to have at least an A10. But what would really rejuvenate the iPad line is if the Mini got the Pro treatment, at least in style. A11 (for the FaceID), and new Pencil support, a larger screen on the same size body as the older models. That would be amazing. A dream, I know, but hey you never know lol.

6. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

This is my hope(dream) as well. Would be such a sweet looking ipad.

7. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I’d like gen 2 pencil too as there’s no way I am picking up a 2018 iPP.

Glad you like yours though.

8. justperry, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Lots of information here, for instance, purplesniff, an internal tool used by Apple, IP4/6 and MAC numbers, date amongst others.

Screenshot 2019-01-08 at 20.03.23.png

Maybe a plugin preventing this, did you try on a different browser, or a different User account (preferably a new (test) account)?
    If it works in a new account then there's something going on in your normal account, if it doesn't then your modem must be doing some weird stuff, or your provider.

9. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Yeah, my 11” ipad pro is my video/photo editing workhorse. Love it. But i also love my ipad mini 2 which is way past it’s prime. With my unlimited AT&T data plan, It really is my mobile device since i don’t have an iphone. Been waiting for this update forever. Will get it no matter what, but hoping for everything i mentioned. We’ll see.

10. puma1552 macrumors 603

This is 100% real, starting price $429 I bet. This is exactly what Apple would do, release a "new" product with super old specs and a recycled design.

I mean this is the company that sells five year old computers, so...

11. cardfan macrumors 68000

12. icymountain macrumors 6502

Indeed.
    That is probably even worse actually: who knows how long it will take for the next generation of mini to be released after that one, so if this one is still out there in a couple of years (the mini 4 will have been around for four years quite soon), this mini 5 may still be sold although it does not not even support the version of iOS that Apple provides at that time. Or gets shut off at the first version of iOS released after it is discontinued. An A9 in a mini released in 2019 would look so terrible from the durability standpoint...

13. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Hey...lets not let this devolve into yet another across the board Apple Bashing thread. This is Macrumors, and the majority of us love Apple products. They kick the competitions ass in so many ways. For computers, but especially for tablets where there is no competition. The ipad mini has been neglected for awhile tho, but nobody knows for sure what Apple is going to do with this update. Yes, it could be a modest update...or a radical one. We just don’t know yet.

14. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

sad for a9, was hoping for a10 - a11 maybe?

laminated display is a must

15. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

If this is the low-cost iPad mini as predicted, it doesn't need to get more than 2 or 3 major iOS updates, especially at $249.

I don't think customers that bought the iPad 2018 for $329 are expecting a full 4 year iOS support at that price.

16. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

I wonder if Apple with start to resurrect old products in order to help offset falling iPhone sales. Maybe we will see a new iPod released.

I can't see how releasing or re-releasing an iPhone SE, iPad Mini and iPod Nano all with minor spec bumps would cost that much or cannibalize sales of top end models if they are release six months apart.

17. pika2000 macrumors 601

If you want to talk about outdated product, Apple is still selling the mini 4 with an A8. :D

18. SupaDav03 macrumors member

I don’t buy it either. No way they release a new iOS product with a processor that old. Apple has shown with their budget 9.7 inch iPads that they aren’t afraid to put their best internals into lower priced products. iOS 12 will likely have the iPhone 6 as the base model it’s supports, so you really think Apple is releasing a new device the same year iOS 12 comes out with 6S processor? Not happening.

19. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

I really doubt it’ll be a A9. That’s the processor for the 6s and Apple doesn’t even sell the 6s anymore. It’ll probably have a A11 at the very least, similar to the non-Pro iPad.

20. pika2000 macrumors 601

You probably meant iOS 13. iOS 12 is the current iOS version, supporting A7 onward.

21. upandown macrumors 6502a

Give me a break. They are not going to put just one generation newer CPU in this thing. Don’t believe it for a minute.

A10 or newer. It will probably be cheaper for them instead of keeping alive such old processors.

22. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Agree

23. Hym tix macrumors regular

Hym tix

even the A10 processor would be totally uninteresting. Give us a Mini Pro with A12 and pencil 2 !!

24. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I hate it when Apple sells new stuff with old stuff in it. Might as well just put the Apple IIe for sale again.

25. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Yes and Yes!