Unreleased iPad Mini With Redesigned Cellular Antenna Appears in Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

That doesn't make sense to me.

For the general customer, the Pencil 2 will require an edge connector on the Mini 5 and with the Mini already thinner than the Pencil 2, it will be awkward to attach and transport.

Since you're talking about a "Pro", that includes pogo pins for a keyboard cover/folio. That doesn't seem too practical for a device so small.

For vertical market customers, it makes more sense for Apple to provide support for something like the Logitech Crayon.

2. brendu macrumors 68020

Ok. Don’t complain when it costs $699

3. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68020

I’d very easily buy an iPad Mini Pro. Still hoping Apple will update the iPad mini to Pro status.

4. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Apple continuing to make two apple pencils doesn’t make much sense either. I think the 1st gen pencil will be discontinued eventually. The question is...will apple give the new regular ipad possibly coming in March Apple pencil 2 support? Or will they wait until 2020? The ipad mini is a big mystery tho. Maybe they won’t even give the next mini ANY apple pencil support. Who knows? It would seem kinda late to give it gen one pencil support. But again, who knows.

Apple pencil 2 support would require a new flat edged design. And None of the recent leaks support this, at least for the mini. Haven’t seen any leaks for the rumored 10” regular ipad supposedly coming in March.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2019 ---
    Me too. Although it probably wouldnt get a mini smart keyboard...i could definitely picture a flat edged ipad mini with slimmer bezels...perhaps increasing screen size to 8.5” but staying the same size. And face ID, usb-c and apple pencil 2 support. I hope so...But that may all be wishful thinking.

5. Hym tix macrumors regular

Hym tix

hmm, iPad Pro 2018 is 5.9mm and works with Pencil 2. Current iPad Mini is 6.1mm. So what's the problem?

6. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

Macintoshrumors

Well, by now we all can determine the mini, at this point, is just a device that Apple is throwing their left over spare parts at and calling it a day.

7. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

It better cost less than $250 unless it comes stock with a 128GB SSD. I can buy an A8 Mini with 128GB SSD for $250 and the A9 is not that much better than an A8.

Yeah, as much as I love the Mini, I won’t buy tech that old; hence why I passed on the BF deals for the Mini 4 this year.

8. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

Macintoshrumors

I doubt the mini would be pencil comparable. Have you ever owned a mini? They are super small compared to what we have today. I have a mini 4 for scale. An Smart Keyboard I beyond not feasible for the mini. Don’t even go there. It will never happen.

9. brendu macrumors 68020

The A9 is actually a good bit better than an A8. There is a reason people still use the 6s and aren’t upgrading iPhones. The A9 was the beginning of Apple just crushing it with their mobile CPUs.

10. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Yes, i have owned several ipad minis. It’s one of my favorite form factors for the ipad. I am an artist, so i may be biased toward apple pencil support. The mini would make a great small digital sketchbook. But i could see it being used for taking notes as well. Wether Apple does this is another question. But the screen is certainly big enough for it.

A keyboard tho? Nope. Don’t see a physical keyboard for the ipad mini. I am with you on that.

11. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

This is one of the reasons why Apple only makes folio cases available for the new Pros (the camera bump is the other) and doesn't make a smart cover option.

Apple can get away with the folio for the larger Pros because of the size of the device compared to the folio itself... and the different between Pencil 2 thickness and iPad Pro spread over the width of the Pro is tolerable. On a much narrower device like the Mini that difference will be obvious.

A folio case for the Mini that will have support for the Pencil 2 will add bulk to it that will not be appealing.

12. Hym tix, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

Hym tix macrumors regular

Hym tix

Of course Apple has the right to raise prices if they think the market can bear it. I would think a Mini Pro could sell well at $499. $699 seems a bit too steep.

My point is (regardless of pricing) that Apple needs to do something innovative and push the limits of the tech, not just recycle old ideas.

13. nordique macrumors 65816

despite the age of the A9, it is still a significant upgrade over the A8 in the mini 4 and a very capable chip today

It also is more powerful than many chips that are in "mini" sized tablets on the market currently

If it comes in at a cheaper price point that the current standard iPad, I will be very interested in this device

That said, highly, highly unlikely Apple will put in the A9 on the basis that they have newer chips and it would be unprecedented from them to put in a chip that old. Would make more sense if they put in the A10. The A9 was last in the 2017 iPad, and they no longer have any active A9 devices for sale in their own retail lineup. They do have the A8 in several devices that they still sell - iPod Touch 6th Gen, HomePod, Mini 4

14. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

I agree the A9 is better, but how much is an A9 worth over an A8 TODAY? $50? $100? $150? How much more than a Mini 4 would you be willing to pay for an A9-based device?

For me, the answer is not much. The shortened support will not make the purchase viable.

I would like to see a proper upgrade with an A11 and Pencil support, but I doubt Apple wants to make a Mini Pro.

Perhaps the better question is how much RAM Apple will include on the Mini 5....

15. chinito77 macrumors member

chinito77

Nothing new here but I can see Tim saying that they worked hard putting this together and you can buy one for the new low price of $599.

16. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

Pencil 2 support is highly unlikely as there would be no way to charge it.

17. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

True. Thats IF this leak is accurate. It could be an older update that never happened.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

19. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

An A9 would help in at least moving the iPad mini to PCIe based storage among some of the other features that the A9 introduced; though, it would still be enough behind the A12 of the iPhone XR, XS, XS Max, and the A12X of the 11" and third generation 12.9" iPad Pros (let alone the A10 and A10X of the sixth generation iPad and 10.5" iPad Pro) that it would be still struggling to be in any kind of parity with the rest of the iOS devices being sold. Then again, it's not like the sixth generation iPod touch, fourth generation AppleTV, and HomePod all don't currently have that problem.

20. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

iPad mini 5 (wi-fi): $259
    iPad mini 5 (wi-fi + cellular): $359
    iPad mini 5 (wi-fi + cellular + bend resistance): $459

21. ksec macrumors 6502

iPad mini 4 had laminated display which is gone in iPad 2018. I would much rather they sell it $50 more expensive than to give me an utter crap display.

The A9 wouldn't be a problem if Apple had plans / work with the Non-Apple GPU for longer. Both A9 and A10 are on TSMC 16nm and has a fairly large die size of 100mm2 to 125mm2. Not exactly small. While A11 is only 83mm2 on 10nm.

A9 Would be a near 4 years old SoC, will it still be supported going forward?
    A10 had too large a of a die, they could rework it with 12nm and get better pref and die area. but moving to A11 seems a cheaper option.
    They could move the whole iPad and iPad mini to A11 and rises the price by a little more.

Forgot to mention the iPad mini has higher PPI than the iPad 2018.

Hopefully with every component cost on the decline and even more so in 2019 we can expect pricing to improve.

22. ktappe macrumors regular

ktappe

--- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2019 ---
    Huzzah! I recently "upgraded" from my Mini 4 to a 2018 9.7" iPad. It's no faster, and is harder to handle. I want my Mini back. If Apple finally releases a Mini 5, I'll buy straightaway.

23. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

A8 is nowhere near A9 performance. A8X is a much better comparison but, the A9 is still a better chip. I’m betting the mini 5 will have the A10 like the 2018 iPad.

24. Bacillus, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

I guess this may be the “iPad Mini Memorial edition” with those round corners, the A9 and a non-working homebutton, that reminds Tim and Joni of the days that they were heralded.
    At its presentation, Phil may even wear the same trousers (as if he ever changed)
    I may be even crying - as sentiments will be getting high.
    Anyway, Joni may have become overworked getting this design out of the archives - of course no time for a Mac Pro