Up-To-Date Package - What Did You Get?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by christurbo, Aug 29, 2009.

1. christurbo macrumors regular

I thought I would have got a nicely packaged SL. This arrived.

Is this what you got?

[​IMG]

Its labelled as an upgrade DVD, I read that some people think you can do a full clean install with it [without 10.5]. I suppose I might try to do this later to see if it is true.

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Can I use the familly pack multiple times for fresh instalation on my two macs ?

3. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Yes.

4. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Can I use it more the 5 times on the same macs?

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I don't know why you would need to install it more than 5 times but you should be able to install it how ever many times you need to on the same mac. It doesn't have a serial number for you to lose/remember. You have a family pack so that covers your two macs.

*** Now back on topic

I haven't received my UTD disc yet but I hope you would be able to do a fresh install (not that I'm planning on doing it this time), it would be good for future use.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Just asking because i did the upgrade without fresh installation on my two macs and I want to be sure if I can do a fresh install in the future.

7. amoda macrumors 6502a

That's great, just don't hijack a thread.

Anywho, even though I knew this would happen (I participated in the Leopard UTD program/different serials between UTD & regular) I'm kinda bummed. I had hoped that they just sent us the normal package this time. If this is anything like the Leopard disk they gave me, it'll require the previous OS to be installed.

8. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I don't get a box with my UTD disc? And it's not the exact same disc as people who paid $35?

WTF?

I should have gotten SL for free since I bought my MBP after they announced SL. Don't Windows users who buy a computer now get a free copy of Windows 7?

9. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Ha ha ha! I don't think so, and I just google searched it... then for fun I BINGed it... nothing.

10. amoda macrumors 6502a

Umm...yeah, they do. Linky

11. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I just did another once over and saw an article in informationweek.com.... My Bad.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is widely known that you don't get retail packaging with the UTD program. Moreover, it makes some sense that they're going to package it in a way that requires you to have Leopard preinstalled. I haven't gotten mine yet but I'm not expecting retail packaging. I would love to know if anyone has done a clean install from an UTD disc.

13. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Some might find this article from EnGadget enlightening.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/26/snow-leopard-review/

Direct Quote: "Interestingly enough, installation is one of the few parts of Snow Leopard that's dramatically different than previous versions of OS X. Unlike Microsoft's subtle nudges towards clean reinstallation of Windows 7, Apple's quite proud of the new 10.6 installer, which upgrades in place, quarantines incompatible apps and plugins in an "Incompatible Software" folder, and boots you right back up with little to no user effort. Seriously, you just stick in the disc, open the installer, enter your password and go -- that's it. You don't even have to reboot off the DVD. Of course, that made us a little uneasy, since we've always chosen Archive and Install to get a fresh OS, but you can't have cold feet here -- that option's been removed. We've been told it's now the default action behind the scenes, but the bottom line is that you have to trust the installer more than ever before -- and while we didn't have any major problems, it would be nice if we could force a new install of the OS without having to wipe a disk."

14. hldomster macrumors member

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

16. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

How people who bought the UTD disc got screwed over:

1. Delayed shipping (Shipped by vs. Delivered on)
    2. Not even the retail disc
    3. No retail box
    4. We paid for something that should have been free (look at Windows 7)
    5. You need 10.5.x on the HD before you can install 10.6 (Pain in the ass)
    6. The money that you did pay was for shipping and it was shipped the slowest method possible (In Canada at least)

17. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

is #5 fact?

18. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Jessica said so in post #12 and I believe I have read it on this site as well. I'll see if I can find it again.

19. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I must admit, I wasn't impressed with second class postage.

Also not impressed I didn't get the full retail box.

BUT, at the same time, I'm going to use this disk once, not frame the box and hang it on the wall. Its going to go in the cupboard.

Also, I did an Erase and Install. I booted off the DVD, went to utilities, formatted the disk and then installed. Then restored my data off of my old Time Machine backup. Sorted

20. amoda macrumors 6502a

While I agree with you on principle, I dislike how Apple went out of it's way to make things different, we hardly got screwed over. Like I wonder how much it's costing them to have different production lines, have someone modify the installer, have people call in asking about UTD differences, etc over just giving the same thing to UTD customers.

This isn't the first UTD program Apple has offered, they're following the exact same behaviour of previous years. When the 10.7 UTD disks comes out they're likely to do the same thing.

Your #6 note is moot by the way. Go to Canada post and in the rate finder pick the following:

From an Ontario postal code (N2N 3R6)
    To your postal code (I'm in Nova Scotia)
    Large envelope (the small doesn't fit a dvd)
    100-200 grams (weight of a dvd + booklet)

Cost: $14.69 for Expresspost 2 day guarantee.
    Cost of UTD disk: $14.69, coincidence? I think not.

21. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

You think Apple pays consumer pricing on shipping? LOL

I guarantee they have a business/corporate account with Canada post. I say it costs them $2 max to ship this.

22. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

so this suggests or implies or states that you CAN do a clean install - so its the same disk as the retail but labelled 'upgrade' and without retail box, yes?

23. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

For those who have received their UTD disc, can anyone confirm if a clean installation is possible? I'll be buying the retail disc if not.

24. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I didn't do a clean install. I did an Erase and Install effectively. I ad Leopard installed to begin with, but then formatted the drive from within the installer and installed fresh SL

25. Liqwid macrumors newbie

+1!