Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Probably no need for a new size of mini-led since i suspect this is the last 11" ipad pro...next generation we can see ipad Air to remain as the 11" and the pro models going 12.9" and the new rumoured 14" (same panel as the 14" Mbp) and makes perfect sense from the profit margins and production

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I know nobody wants to hear it but side by side except for certain content I often have a hard time noticing the mini-led difference. My family thinks I’m insane for being able to see any difference whatsoever.

I think with certain content it’s a big difference from what I remember seeing but with regular use like web browsing and stuff and probably not well encoded videos it’s imperceptible

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
M2 while M1 isn’t even being taken advantage of. Kind of crazy but I guess they have to release something. Can’t rely on camera upgrades as a selling point as much as they do on iPhone.

I am sure most devs develop their apps with the last available (oldest) iPad in mind. Can’t have a laggy app on the entry iPad and risk bad AppStore reviews

rickray

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Apple is slowly converting themselves to a services priority company. The hardware is becoming less and less important to them in the sense that they only need a cash cow to carry their services on. It’s more lucrative for them. I’d actually love to see a large scale migration away from their products to shake them up, but that won’t happen as most Apple users are fine with imperceptible changes in hardware as long as things like messages stays locked.

They are terrible at giving us tools to make our products our own. They give us “options” but they are half baked 99% of the time. However it’s successfully marketed as new and innovative. The iPad hardware makes iPadOS a complete joke but they march ahead because iPad is what people want in a tablet device. And we continue to hope for a real tablet OS and quality features like higher end tech in the pros every year. M2 is complete overkill for the next 10 years likely.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Apple is slowly converting themselves to a services priority company. The hardware is becoming less and less important to them in the sense that they only need a cash cow to carry their services on. It’s more lucrative for them. I’d actually love to see a large scale migration away from their products to shake them up, but that won’t happen as most Apple users are fine with imperceptible changes in hardware as long as things like messages stays locked.

They are terrible at giving us tools to make our products our own. They give us “options” but they are half baked 99% of the time. However it’s successfully marketed as new and innovative. The iPad hardware makes iPadOS a complete joke but they march ahead because iPad is what people want in a tablet device. And we continue to hope for a real tablet OS and quality features like higher end tech in the pros every year. M2 is complete overkill for the next 10 years likely.

All of their services are terrible. The hardware is the bit that they get right, for the most part.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Whats the point of these updates again? Seriously Apple, take a break.

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 9.53.02 AM.png

picxar

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2013
Missing out on Mini-LED’s again? Come on Apple.. this is unacceptable.
The smaller the screen the higher the prices for the mini-LED Display. Even if apple is willing to pay more for the smaller display, im not sure if there is a comparable screen available to buy. I guess Apple will switch directly to OLED! But probably not before 2024…

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Swing and a miss! They know adding mini-LED display to the 11 would eat away at their 12.9 profits.
Not a miss from Apple's perspective. By maintaining specific spec for higher end model, Apple will hope that some people would be tempted to spend more.

Same thing why telephoto remains on the Pro iPhones.

But yeah, maybe this is why it might be just a press release. It is simply a spec bump to M2, like the typical CPU refreshed on macs.

docbop

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

The upcoming 11-inch iPad Pro will feature the same LED Liquid Retina Display found in the current generation model and not the newer mini-LED display technology found in the larger 12.9-inch size, reliable display analyst Ross Young said today.

ipad-pro-apple-logo.jpeg

Replying in a tweet, Young reaffirmed previous rumors that the upcoming 11-inch iPad Pro will not gain the newer mini-LED display technology, meaning customers who want the more advanced display will need to revert to the larger 12.9-inch size.

Early rumors suggested that for the next iPad Pro update, Apple would expand the mini-lED display it introduced on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro in April 2021 to also the smaller 11-inch size. The Liquid Retina XDR display on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro brings extreme dynamic range to the iPad Pro, offering a "stunning visual experience" with more true-to-life details and HDR.

The 11-inch iPad Pro display is an LED Liquid Retina Display that still has many of the same features as the 12.9-inch size but misses out on the extreme dynamic range, higher brightness, and darker blacks. Young said today he expects the upcoming 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pros to feature the same displays as their respective current generation models.

The new iPad Pros are expected to be incremental updates, featuring a new chip and potentially new charging capabilities. The new models will be powered by the M2 Apple silicon chip, offering performance improvements compared to the M1 chip in the current models.

Reputable Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman has reported that Apple is not planning to hold a digital event for these new iPad Pros this month. Instead, Apple is expected to announce the new iPad Pro models in a "matter of days" through a press release and updates on its websites.

Article Link: Upcoming 11-Inch iPad Pro Rumored to Miss Out on Mini-LED Display
Looks like this Apple's new Market trend instead of all models of products be ing close in spec' they are now making important differences to get people to spend more to get the current high end or get last years tech.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
How is Apple gonna market this iPad Pro update over the 2021 m1? The m2 isn’t needed the m1 is still over kill

Reactions: one more

c84216

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
Apple uses the same screen technology for its 14” and 16” MacBook Pros, its 6.1 Pro and 6.7” Pro Max iPhones, but not on its 11” and 12.9” iPad Pros. This is inexplicably inconsistent.
I never understood the 9.7" iPad Pro when it was introduced in the wake of the OG 12.9" iPad Pro.

I still do not understand the 11" iPad Pro.

An iPad lineup that was:

iPad (10") - low spec
iPad Air (11") - mid spec
iPad Pro (12.9") - top spec

would make so much sense. Yes the Mini isn't there either.

FWIW the 12.9" M1 Pro is my portable daily driver and I wouldn't want anything else. iPad to go + iMac to stay = perfect for my use.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
If true, there is very little incentive to upgrade. IMO, the screen is one of the most important elements of a device.

The question is, what device are you upgrading from? There won’t be much reason to upgrade from a 2021 M1 iPad Pro (which is what I have), but that’s probably not the target audience.

I agree that they should add mini LED. Lack of mini LED is one of my only disappointments with the 2021 iPad Pro.

• Love
Reactions: transpo1

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Looks like i am sticking with my 2018 model another year.
Yep.

It was literally the best product they’ve released in years.

Not one iPad Pro since has been worth upgrading to.

mini LED LMFAO, just use OLED Tim because we know it’s coming you cheapo.

• Haha
Reactions: transpo1

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Is it the supply chain issue that is causing several of these lackluster updates? I'm getting a lil nervous and disappointed in Apple.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Is it the supply chain issue that is causing several of these lackluster updates? I'm getting a lil nervous and disappointed in Apple.
Nah. Apple prebooked most components and manufacturing capacities years in advance.
It probably only felt lackluster because in the end, the iPads still run iPadOS. The limitation right now is in the OS, not the hardware.

terrapin_nation

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2020
Not really a fan of the M1 display. The LED array creates haloes around any light content on a black background.

Probably will upgrade when the mini LED comes out down the line.

The iPad is a bit of a confusing device. Apple is stuck with the user base wanting more functional OS but at the risk of cannibalizing MB Air sales. I know a 'pro os' on M1 would get me thinking if I needed my MacBook Air any longer. I would reassess if a mac mini/studio made sense for my setup... maybe if I never rebuild my pc 😂.

Reactions: klasma

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
That really offers near zero incentive to upgrade from any prior 11” model.
Well, Apple would never expect people owning the M1 models to upgrade to the M2. The target segment for any new Apple releases would be those with 2, 3, or even older generation of products. People with the 9.7" and 10.5" lightning iPad Pros could be looking for an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.