Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
The question is, what device are you upgrading from? There won’t be much reason to upgrade from a 2021 M1 iPad Pro (which is what I have), but that’s probably not the target audience.

I agree that they should add mini LED. Lack of mini LED is one of my only disappointments with the 2021 iPad Pro.

Well, I am currently using iPad Air 4 and I see no compelling reason to upgrade. The only thing I am not happy about is my Air’s screen with its washed out blacks. As soon as they put OLED, I will jump straight in.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I know nobody wants to hear it but side by side except for certain content I often have a hard time noticing the mini-led difference. My family thinks I’m insane for being able to see any difference whatsoever.
Watch any movie with dark scenes (House of the Dragon has PLENTY of those), you’ll notice the difference immediately. Mini LED has deep blacks that clearly distinguish between people, objects and background. In contrast, normal LED washes everything in a dull gray that makes it hard to distinguish anything.

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
If the only improvement is the M2 chip, then I don't think this iPad Pro will sell very well. The current M1 chip is more than capable. If Apple doesn't offer any real upgrades to the screen or battery, then they will have a hard time selling the iPad Pro.

Haust

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2011
I bought a new 2021 12.9 iPad Pro from Amazon for $200 off. If the new iPads are only a processor swap and wireless charging I’ll keep the 2021.

Reactions: prospervic

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I’m sick of this— the 11” is also a Pro model. Give it the mini-LED. Apple’s leaving money on the table.
Apple will only upgrade the display if meets their profit targets for the device even if leaving money on table. Could have oled already but won’t do if cant make enough profit or having to raise device price too much meet it. We don’t get their best tech they can deliver each year or two.

Valinor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Long live the 2018 iPad Pro!

In all seriousness, this just makes the iPad lineup super confusing. The gap between the air and the 11” pro is way too small. Adding the mini LED would have given a good reason to upgrade but at this point, it seems like we will be waiting for the M3 generation for a true next gen iPad Pro.
For real. I had the 2018 pro 512gb cellular, the 2020 version was just a small and then last year I was so convinced we would get a miniled ipad pro 11 that I sold my 2018 version before the announcement because I wanted a good price for it....
Biggest mistake ever.
Ended up trying the 12.9 inch miniled but it was too big, so I had to settle for a m1 11 inch 128gb....... basically losing my storage and cellular features 🥲
Was hoping for miniled this year...... Apple loves disappointing their customers.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
Apple will only upgrade the display if meets their profit targets for the device even if leaving money on table. Could have oled already but won’t do if cant make enough profit or having to raise device price too much meet it. We don’t get their best tech they can deliver each year or two.
I suppose it could be an engineering limitation for mini-LED in the 11” but more than likely they’re going to switch all the iPad Pros to OLED in the near future and they don’t want to bother putting mini-LED in the 11” now or sacrifice margins by doing so. It’s too bad because it doesn’t make any sense from a product line standpoint AND, I do think they are underestimating the amount of people (like me) who would upgrade their 2018, 2020, and 2021 11 iPPs.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Nothing exciting about new iPads, not even Dynamic Island/AOD gimmicks the iPhone 14 Pro got. 2021 models might be the wiser versions to get, same as with the M1 MacBook Air.

Last edited:

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
I grabbed an Amazon Marketplace 2021 128gb iPad Pro used for $589. It’s flawless and the battery pretty much untouched. Love it and love THAT price.

Reactions: arkitect

rickray

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
All of their services are terrible. The hardware is the bit that they get right, for the most part.
Totally agree with you. I love their hardware. It is largely and ironically the best part of the company. Their services are bordering on lame and regressive. But they are designed that way to maintain control and to give them the ability to drive obsolescence and upgrade envy. The overhead for services is less than developing hardware. Their software is purposely iterative to prevent too much evolution. And they happily sit on gains over competition because it’s cheap.

I’m sad that Apple has come to this.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Apple calculates the cost of new tech vs the loss in sales for the folks that want something like mini LED. Most folks that buy iPads don't know the difference and Apple knows this, so they will keep putting in the cheapest stuff until people stop buying it and it becomes worth the added cost. Or the cost of manufacturing becomes negligible.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Apple isn’t marketing the M2 as an update for the M1. They’re aiming people who own the 2020, 2018 or earlier IPad Pros.
thank you! why do people think that every product Apple releases is supposed to appeal to every single consumer lmao.

every year “oh there’s no reason to upgrade!” yeah maybe not for you, but for the millions of people who have 2, 3, 4, 5+ year old devices, there is a reason.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Apple isn’t marketing the M2 as an update for the M1. They’re aiming people who own the 2020, 2018 or earlier IPad Pros.
Every update should have something worth updating not put a chip in when the old chip is still over kill they might as well wait until there’s a better update

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
Why would anyone buy an 11” iPad Pro over an iPad Air? $200 for an extra camera and Face ID is ridiculous.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Apple would increase the entry price from $799 to $999 for the 11” if it had mini-led. Then it would be too close to the entry $1099 price of the 12.9 so that would have to increase in price. Increasing prices on a device that doesn’t sell that well to begin with isn’t the way to go.
No, $100 price increase only

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.