Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Why would anyone buy an 11” iPad Pro over an iPad Air? $200 for an extra camera and Face ID is ridiculous.
And 64GB of storage. The Air only starts at 64GB of storage. That is rather limited. The IPad Pro has 128GB. If you configure both to match at 256GB of storage, the Pro is only $150 more. and of course there is the 120Hz screen on the Pro, as well. It’s easy to miss the differences if you only look at the price.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
What a non update!

Who would update any iPad less than 3-4 year old?

M1 chip is overkill on the iPad Pro with PadOS-M2 is laughable.

Are they gonna have M3 next year on an iPad despite it being gimped with iOS instead of MacOS?!?
There will be some people. I’m still scratching my head that some folks upgraded from an AW7 to an AW8…

And in that case there isn’t even an upgraded processor.

Reactions: itunexify

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Work from home employees being less productive means fewer upgrades over older devices. You all should have expected this.
Current sum up of working from home suggests better productivity but less work life happiness. The latter will lead to lower productivity at some point, but not now.

No, the iPad Pro is near perfection in terms of hardware so I would say it is difficult to improve. Look at the sour post that iPadOS is not good enough to fill the iPP hardware shoes. I think that these posters feels that the iPad Pro hardware is far slicker and far more attractive than the well known but stale laptop format. iPP hardware is so much better that they want MacOS on it Why really? There are some very good Macs around. I assume it is envy.

Sure, there are some arrogant posters that makes cheap shots of iPP/iPadOS to bolster their ego with likes. What they really are displaying is that they have no clue what the iPad is and can be used for.

That being said, if the iPP arrives this week, it will be a stale release. I think the M2 is not a good fit and there is no 14+ screen option yet.

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
I look at my M1 iPad "Pro" and wonder why I just didn't get a $329 iPad.
It's really hard to go back from 120hz to 60hz. I had to send my old Pro to get replacement two years ago and used my old iPad Air for a Week, just horrible! As long as you haven't experienced 120hz 60hz is not bad at all.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Current sum up of working from home suggests better productivity but less work life happiness. The latter will lead to lower productivity at some point, but not now.
Based on what we're seeing, productivity per person is way less during WFH. Google and Meta CEOs have publicly called out the lack of productivity during WFH era.

New Apple products are getting delayed, features are in beta for much longer, and embarrassing bugs are happening more frequently.

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
I would just like Xcode. What’s ‘pro’ about it if I can’t even write an app with it? And no, playgrounds is not an adequate replacement as it doesn’t support core data ( = no persistency ).

Reactions: MartyvH

originalsk

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
I embarrassingly need 1TB internal storage very soon, so would upgrade when there’s a chance. With that being said, I won’t really lose my sleep over not having mini-LED on iPad Pro any day. Good to have but not a must. The difference is not as dramatic as with and without ProMotion. (Man the iPhone 14 pro max screen looks and feels responsive compared to iPhone XS max)

And there would be tons of people yelling at comment section screaming “reeeeeee I don’t need cellular why need to pay cellular reeeeee”. You just can’t win sometimes.
Are there tons of people complaining that Apple Watch Ultra dont have wifi only version and they have to pay extra for cellular? I understand its a matter of preference, but same could be said about Lidar or any other feature, “I dont need it so why should I pay” extra either 🙂

The thing with “cellular” is that Wifi only iPad does not have GPS module at all, therefore in multiple situations all apps with location tracking would not work. I discovered this a hard way when offline maps I paid for did not work on my “Pro” iPad in a car or in a foreign city. If this should not be a base standard feature in a package I dont know what else.

• Love
Reactions: arkitect

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I would imagine its awaiting it’s next big redesign. It will be interesting to see how the iPad Pros handle the more power hungry M2 chips. I would wait for reviews before preordering.

• Disagree
Reactions: alongdingdong

Strebor

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2022
So glad I bought the iPad Pro M1 WIFI + Cellular with a big fat discount last week. Will be arriving this morning. Nice upgrade from my 6 year old 9.7" Ipad Pro.

All I wanted was:

- Unlock with Face
- Good screen with smallest bezel
- Enough storage
- GPS
- Usable as second screen with MacbookPro when I'm on the move

So it simply had to be the 11" iPad Pro with cellular. Promotion screen, FaceID, 128GB is enough and the cellular model for GPS.

Last edited:

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
Are there tons of people complaining that Apple Watch Ultra dont have wifi only version and they have to pay extra for cellular? I understand its a matter of preference, but same could be said about Lidar or any other feature, “I dont need it so why should I pay” extra either 🙂

The thing with “cellular” is that Wifi only iPad does not have GPS module at all, therefore in multiple situations all apps with location tracking would not work. I discovered this a hard way when offline maps I paid for did not work on my “Pro” iPad in a car or in a foreign city. If this should not be a base standard feature in a package I dont know what else.
The only people who complain about such things are people who don’t understand that even if apple charges $100 for a feature (let’s say cellular vs WiFi only) that doesn’t mean it actually costs that much to them. It costs a few $ at most, so if there is only one model you’re not paying anything extra for that feature, and in fact I wish they made all Apple Watches cellular+WiFi, they can easily do that at the current price point if the WiFi only model.

originalsk

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
The only people who complain about such things are people who don’t understand that even if apple charges $100 for a feature (let’s say cellular vs WiFi only) that doesn’t mean it actually costs that much to them. It costs a few $ at most, so if there is only one model you’re not paying anything extra for that feature, and in fact I wish they made all Apple Watches cellular+WiFi, they can easily do that at the current price point if the WiFi only model.
Yes, my point is that this race for more income is becoming kind of insulting in some cases. When they have different price tiers for "low cost", consumer and premium, we should not find such hidden defects in expensive premium device. Either it's a Pro or it's not. Maps are essential iOS feature.

Apple is not "doomed", they still make the best tablet on the market, Apple Watch and Airpods are revolutionary great devices for every day use, I love their products. But they don't need to do these things, those devices are expensive enough to "just work". That's all.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
Apple used to have a high standard for what you get as a bare minimum. It's embarrassing they do these things, why should the smaller Pro have lower quality display, common. I don't understand why they can't get rid of these annoyances like still having 13-inch not-Pro MacBook "Pro" with touch bar in the lineup or still selling Wifi-only iPad Pros, when GPS+cellular should have been the base standard for Pros years ago.
Have you only just realised Apple have turned into the biggest price gouging, rip off merchants off all companies. They truly are the new Microsoft.

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I actually want a higher PPI, text appears a little too soft for my liking. iPads still feel like blown-up iPhones to me.

Last edited:

ozzieny

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2021
it should be oled already but probably they cant get them from Samsung since they use on their tablets for years now.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Nooooooo! 😂

Attachments

• 3544B29E-238E-45ED-8224-15B5ABFD0678.gif
    3544B29E-238E-45ED-8224-15B5ABFD0678.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

laurieballard

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2016
And 64GB of storage. The Air only starts at 64GB of storage. That is rather limited. The IPad Pro has 128GB. If you configure both to match at 256GB of storage, the Pro is only $150 more. and of course there is the 120Hz screen on the Pro, as well. It’s easy to miss the differences if you only look at the price.
Pro has two more speakers too, makes a difference if you watch stuff or listen to music via the pro.

Like you said, when you factor in storage, the $150 difference is worth it for the display and speakers alone for me.

Each to their own however. My Wife has the Air 5 and 64GB is ample storage for her, plus she doesn't watch anything without headphones so the speakers are irrelevant. We take mine if we go away so I often download films so the additional speakers combined with more storage for said films makes it worth it for me.

Reactions: Tagbert

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Apple clearly believes cellular bundled with GPS is worthy of a "Pro" feature for unknown reason. Or, another slightly more plausible explanation would be the cellular module also bundled with GPS chip, which Wi-Fi model would not have. Regardless, I also think Apple should just get all iPad Pro cellular only and charge accordingly to eliminate the stupid "Wi-Fi" model. Yes, not everyone takes their iPad out every single day like me. But no, it's an expensive tablet, and missing out on GPS for basic config is unacceptable.
Pro has two more speakers too, makes a difference if you watch stuff or listen to music via the pro
Using iPad Pro listening to music feels much much better compared to the iPhone, which is total junk in comparison (those speakers are just not great, even if they are the better one in mobile phone world). Of course, MacBook Pro speaker is much better than iPad Pro.
Yes, I know the space constraint on iPhone, but the iPad Pro is a much better entertainment device than iPhone if you ask me. MUCH MUCH better.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I wonder if it just uses too much power. My battery drains really quick on the 12.9.
Same with mine. Although it's not as bad when I take it out of the Magic Keyboard. That trackpad is a real battery hog! Even using my old Apple Smart Keyboard is better on battery life.

JohnyTango

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2022
I understand product differentiation, Apple sells a regular ipad, a mini version, a pro version, etc. I absolutely do not understand why they differentiate between different sizes in the same product version. A pro is a pro and should have the same features no matter what physical size best suits your needs. Otherwise add an "Ultra" version specifically for the 12.9" iPad Pro.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Same with mine. Although it's not as bad when I take it out of the Magic Keyboard. That trackpad is a real battery hog! Even using my old Apple Smart Keyboard is better on battery life.

it could be worth getting that looked at. Some original units caused strange battery drain. My Magic Keyboard has not noticeably impacted battery life.

Reactions: prospervic

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
It's really hard to go back from 120hz to 60hz. I had to send my old Pro to get replacement two years ago and used my old iPad Air for a Week, just horrible! As long as you haven't experienced 120hz 60hz is not bad at all.

not really necessary when all my device is good for is reading comic books and magazines. I would love to do more, but why bother with iPad weirdness when I can just tote a similarly sized macbook air now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.