Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Upcoming Amazon Prime Video App for Apple TV May Not Be Ready for September Launch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its Worldwide Developers Conference in June, Apple announced that an Amazon Prime Video app would be coming to the Apple TV later this year.

No release date was given, but Apple's September iPhone event seemed like an ideal time for the app to see an official release. Unfortunately, that may not happen. In a piece on Apple's troubles establishing TV-related deals, Recode says that according to its sources, the app may not be live in time for debut at the iPhone event.

An Amazon Prime Video app is something that Apple TV owners have desired for years, as it is one of the only major streaming video services absent from the set-top box.

With no targeted launch date on the horizon, it isn't clear when the app will see a launch, but we can expect it before the end of 2017 based on Apple's initial announcement.

While an Amazon Prime Video app may not launch at Apple's September event, Apple TV enthusiasts do have one product to look forward to -- a fifth-generation TV with support for 4K HDR. The new set-top box, with an upgraded processor and perhaps other upgraded features, is set to launch in September alongside new iPhones and an LTE Apple Watch.

Article Link: Upcoming Amazon Prime Video App for Apple TV May Not Be Ready for September Launch

smaffei

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
It'll be ready for the event.

I don't imagine Amazon squandering an opportunity for the huge press coverage caused by the iPhone 8 announcement.

Reactions: tooloud10

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
It's a video streaming app on a device specifically designed for streaming videos. "Not ready," my ass.

One of these two is trying to play hardball, as usual, to the customer's expense.

Agreed. My bet this is Amazon's doing on purpose to get Apple some negative coverage one final time before the app ultimately launches.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
We've been waiting for what? Almost two years for the Amazon Video app. What's another month or two?

Last edited:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
This has nothing to do with being unable to make the app work correctly. It's simply Amazon taking another dig at Apple and being difficult.

Amazon doesn't sell the Apple TV or Google Chromecast because they don't want those products competing with their own Fire TV. They don't sell the Google Home and will not sell the Apple HomePod, again because they don't want them competing with their Alexa. Their entire reason for not offering an Amazon Prime Video app for the Apple TV again was to push people to their own competing device instead.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
This has nothing to do with being unable to make the app work correctly. It's simply Amazon taking another dig at Apple and being difficult.

Amazon doesn't sell the Apple TV or Google Chromecast because they don't want those products competing with their own Fire TV. They don't sell the Google Home and will not sell the Apple HomePod, again because they don't want them competing with their Alexa. Their entire reason for not offering an Amazon Prime Video app for the Apple TV again was to push people to their own competing device instead.
I don't understand why Amazon doesn't get it that customers get to make the decision of the device and service, and not Amazon. I am going to have to get another Prime membership discount for not having an Apple TV app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.