Upcoming Amazon Prime Video App for Apple TV May Not Be Ready for September Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At its Worldwide Developers Conference in June, Apple announced that an Amazon Prime Video app would be coming to the Apple TV later this year.

No release date was given, but Apple's September iPhone event seemed like an ideal time for the app to see an official release. Unfortunately, that may not happen. In a piece on Apple's troubles establishing TV-related deals, Recode says that according to its sources, the app may not be live in time for debut at the iPhone event.

[​IMG]

An Amazon Prime Video app is something that Apple TV owners have desired for years, as it is one of the only major streaming video services absent from the set-top box.

With no targeted launch date on the horizon, it isn't clear when the app will see a launch, but we can expect it before the end of 2017 based on Apple's initial announcement.

While an Amazon Prime Video app may not launch at Apple's September event, Apple TV enthusiasts do have one product to look forward to -- a fifth-generation TV with support for 4K HDR. The new set-top box, with an upgraded processor and perhaps other upgraded features, is set to launch in September alongside new iPhones and an LTE Apple Watch.

Article Link: Upcoming Amazon Prime Video App for Apple TV May Not Be Ready for September Launch

2. afd macrumors 6502a

I'd be shocked if they didn't have an app ready for when the ATV 4 was released.

3. larrylaffer macrumors 6502

larrylaffer

Totally silly. Porting an existing iPhone/iPad app isn't *that* hard.

4. Asarien, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017

Asarien macrumors regular

It's a video streaming app on a device specifically designed for streaming videos. "Not ready," my ass.

One of these two conglomerations is trying to play hardball and as usual, the customer loses out.

5. smaffei macrumors regular

It'll be ready for the event.

I don't imagine Amazon squandering an opportunity for the huge press coverage caused by the iPhone 8 announcement.

6. urbanslaughter97 macrumors newbie

urbanslaughter97

This was supposed to come out over the summer if I'm not mistaken. It's like neither of these companies has done much with software before. (rolls eyes).

7. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I hope so. I have been waiting for Amazon to arrive on ATV

8. smaffei macrumors regular

Depends. If Amazon is using any HTML based code for streaming, then it's hard since Apple TV doesn't do Web based UI.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Agreed. My bet this is Amazon's doing on purpose to get Apple some negative coverage one final time before the app ultimately launches.

10. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Be shocked since ATV4 was released back in 2015.

11. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I'm so old I remember when the Amazon app was supposed to come out around Christmas of 2015. I've been a Prime member forever but I won't go to the trouble of watching their shows until they get an ATV app up and running.

12. dtrj787 macrumors regular

dtrj787

I'm still waiting on that Netflix "TV" app integration.

13. jdoll021 macrumors regular

jdoll021

Well, the whole reason why I never bought the ATV4 was because I couldn't get Amazon Prime on it. If there is to be no Amazon Prime Video app, then I have no reason to get ATV5 either.

14. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Two of the most resource heavy, powerful, and rich companies on earth and they can't get an app to work.

Ok.

15. dtrj787 macrumors regular

dtrj787

Right?!

16. jdoll021 macrumors regular

jdoll021

Most likely Amazon is trying to generate negative coverage as leverage in their negotiations with Apple. Billionaires playing those of us of the "unwashed masses" like pawns.

17. 2010mini macrumors 68040

This is ridiculous. They had years to work on it. Devs with less resources have ported their iOS apps to tvOS within weeks.

18. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Just give me 4K movies and TV shows in iTunes and I'll be a happy camper.

19. nburwell, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017

nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

We've been waiting for what? Almost two years for the Amazon Video app. What's another month or two?

20. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I hope they are working on the user interface, I think it’s terrible to use on the devices that I have.

21. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

This has nothing to do with being unable to make the app work correctly. It's simply Amazon taking another dig at Apple and being difficult.

Amazon doesn't sell the Apple TV or Google Chromecast because they don't want those products competing with their own Fire TV. They don't sell the Google Home and will not sell the Apple HomePod, again because they don't want them competing with their Alexa. Their entire reason for not offering an Amazon Prime Video app for the Apple TV again was to push people to their own competing device instead.

22. tann macrumors 68000

Probably will drop with the updated TV, which may not be on Sept. 12.

23. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

If this is the case...NFL viewers are going to be quite upset.

24. Xavier macrumors 68020

25. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I bet the App works but there is some legal issue with lawyers that is causing the real delay. Powerful lawyers from Apple against powerful Amazon lawyers on earth.

26. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I don't understand why Amazon doesn't get it that customers get to make the decision of the device and service, and not Amazon. I am going to have to get another Prime membership discount for not having an Apple TV app.