Upcoming Amazon Prime Video App for Apple TV May Not Be Ready for September Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2017.

1. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Looks like they'll be short one purchase, I'm sure they'll manage.

2. afd macrumors 6502a

I'm still annoyed at Apple for not giving the ATV enough attention. It's a complete missed opportunity. Content providers and games developers should have been making apps since the ATV 2, it should have been as popular as all the other i devices, instead hardly anyone knows it even exists. Apple has done nothing to promote it over the years, I can't remember ever seeing a print or TV advert.
    Someone at apple must really hate it.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

They've only had like 5+ years to work on it. What do you expect?

4. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

I think they're moving slowly in the background. 4K will be a nice add on.

The TV app is integrating other apps pretty seamlessly. I think any app that doesn't work with this will be left behind.

They're working on Apple Music having video (which they'll eventually figure out) and it'll be a lead into their TV Streaming service.

5. tpham5919 macrumors regular

Can't blame them though. They've always been consistent about ATV being not of a hobby than a serious product and it shows.

6. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Interesting thought. With the show on Sept 12 though, it's possible that the ATV won't ship immediately or soon enough to land in your home by then.

7. 2IS macrumors 68030

My initial reaction was that this news sucks... Until I realized I don't actually use my ATV

8. Braderunner macrumors 6502

It's probably not at the top of Amazon's list of priorities. I mean...to make their service work on a competitor's hardware.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 29, 2017 ---
    The Amazon app will work on the current version of the Apple TV.

9. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Hint: there's TWO parties trying to finalize a deal.

You are right. There's profit for Amazon in getting Prime distributed to as many as possible. Apparently there are up to 18 million :apple:TV owners. So step back a bit and think about why they would avoid all that profit they could make. They certainly want the money, so it's not some kind of spite. They can't really hurt the mighty Apple by delaying a little longer. They don't want to disappoint us Prime consumers by holding this back. It's ridiculous that some of us are trying to spin this as a competence issue. So what else could be going on here?

In almost all this seemingly illogical stuff (just like this), it's almost always about the money. So think about the money and you'll probably come to realize an answer other than Amazon is a villain, Amazon is incompetent, Amazon is greedy, Amazon hates it's Prime customers, Amazon doesn't want up to millions of :apple:TV owner's money, Amazon wants us to ("then I'll just") pirate their content, etc.

10. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Meh. My tv has Amazon. And I still have a fire stick laying around if I need it.

11. Cigsm macrumors 6502

If Amazon wants access to Apples billion + user base, they'd be wise to do it.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's always been about the money, not the app.
    Amazon doesn't want to give apple a piece of the subscription revenue.
    Amazon Prime subscriptions are more than just video, so giving Apple a 30% cut is not an option.
    They're probably still haggling that part out.

13. tpham5919 macrumors regular

That's true. It's a substantial chunk of income that Amazon doesn't wanna give up without exhausting all of their negotiation tactics.

14. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Or maybe Amazon wants the same special deal Apple gave Netflix, instead of giving away 30% right off the top. And maybe Apple is resisting offering the same special deal to Amazon. The other guy is not always the villain in these matters. Apple is not the "most profitable company in the world" for nothing. And it's Apple that is striving to become the first trillion dollar company in the world. I completely doubt that Amazon is demanding zero financial benefit for Apple (they are available on various other competitions hardware and I doubt those other guys make nothing from those deals). But I find it much easier to imagine Amazon wanting as good a deal from Apple as Apple gave another major player.

15. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

Who ever said that Amazon is the one holding up the works here? I would imagine Apple is trying to make it as hard as possible for them to get on to Apple TV.

16. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

when it launches i expect real-time video shopping at my local Whole Foods with same-hour delivery

17. and 1989 others macrumors member

Looking at my media set up, xbox 1, PS4, Apple TV 3, chromcast, it really isn't a problem, there are more than enough options to get amazon video on your screen. I used to think everything should be streamlined and available through one provider, but life isn't like that, get tools for what you need, even if it means having 5 or 6.

18. truthertech macrumors 65816

It's been Amazon all along that decided not to have a Prime app, not Apple.

19. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Oh I'm sure Amazon knows they have to give Apple something, it's just a matter of how much.
    I'm sure "envelopes" are getting pushed back and forth across the proverbial table with demands from both parties.

Remember... Amazon doesn't really need Apple. If they did, they would have made a deal a long time ago.
    ATV is still a small market compared to all the other devices out there.
    Amazon video is already on almost every other major streaming device and built into many smart TVs and Blu Ray players.
    They know customers would like to see them on ATV, but those terms need to be profitable for Amazon.

20. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

The thing that really irks me about the Apple TV is that Comcast is not playing along with SSO.

I get that that's not Apple's fault, but it's not like I have any leverage over Comcast or anything.

Someday, streaming will be the normal and our grandchildren will be astonished that we wasted hundreds of megahertz of UHF spectrum on transmitting video. I doubt I'll be alive to see it unfortunately.

21. Spankey macrumors 6502a

22. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

Just get a Roku, it has everything you could ever app you could ever want including Amazon for years now.

23. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Does that mean any Amazon app will not work on the Apple TV 3?

Unless Apple decides to support 4K streaming from an iPhone and iPad with this ATV, then that's the problem. No 4K video on a 4K TV.

24. RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

Sounds like iMessage and FaceTime, no.