Upcoming Amazon Prime Video App for Apple TV May Not Be Ready for September Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2017.

1. nrose101 macrumors regular

nrose101

It honestly itsn't that hard. Did it myself a couple of months back and took a week.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2017 ---
    Um, They announced "summer 2017" Summer is basically over.

2. tpham5919 macrumors regular

My guess is that they think there's not much profit in this segment at the moment. Only after they have better deals and control on contents that they may deem all in on atv is worth the risk. Just s guess.

3. NeonSunset macrumors newbie

I think he/she understands that. Notice past tense was used? It was implied the Amazon app has been ready since then and they are unwilling to release it. I think I agree.

4. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

Oops, you're right. They have until the end of September 21st.

And even if they don't meet that deadline, nothing will happen.

But they aren't late yet.

5. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Have you seen how bad Amazon Prime is on Android TV? Its a total disaster.

6. Atomkirk macrumors newbie

Atomkirk

Sorta does. TVML

7. alexgowers macrumors 65816

We all know the real reason. Amazon don't want the masses of ATV owners already with amazon prime to stream content easily on the big screen. Amazing will loose LOADS of MONEY if they open up prime with no increase in subscriptions. People don't have prime for the video streaming, instead they realise that it's an added freebie.

Amazon is going to shift all the good stuff off prime (which they already do) and severely limit streaming with prime in the future. It's nothing to do with Apple as such but they instead know they'll get hit with massive streaming data fees as soon as it goes live with ZERO extra reward for doing such.

8. Hans_J macrumors newbie

Hans_J

9. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Yep pretty much. I think they did the same thing with Music right? I remember getting a lot more music with my Prime subscription. Ah well.. I dont subscribe for the media.

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So no September or October launch. November anyone? Who wants to bet on December?

11. npmacuser5, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

My next TV, 15 HDMI Ports, one for each box required for my video apps. :(

12. Akhil C macrumors newbie

Akhil C

An now we are on 10, Nov 2017 this is something sinister between 2 competitors Fire stick & Apple TV. There isn't any update or apologies yet from either of them

13. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

Doubt we will see the app on Apple TV until Amazon has released their full version of FireTv 3. Currently they have only dongle type devices available. Amazon very slow with releasing their Apps. Example PS4 still using the Old (2013) Amazon Video App. Amazon keeps saying the App will be updated Soon. Not all about Apple, others get the second class treatment also.

14. MacinMan macrumors member

With the recently released MoviesAnywhere Service, I have found less need for Amazon on Apple TV since most, if not all my movies from amazon transferred over to my other services, so I can access them that way. Where having the amazon video app on Apple TV will be any benefit to me at this point is for the couple of TV shows I own, unless they come out with a TVAnywhere service, which, in that case I will probably do to have access to my TV shows in multiple services.

15. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

And that's all fine. If Amazon doesn't realize people need access to their service in order to purchase it.

However, Apple literally promised the app as motivation to purchase the ATV4K in September, rather than wait until it was delivered. I'm not even sure they mentioned Dolby Atmosphere during their keynote speech. So there's quite a bit of liability hanging out there as a result. Amazon can do whatever it wants until it affects Apple's business. And it's hard to believe Apple would casually promise something like that publicly, without having some kind of agreement in place with Amazon, since the whole thing relies on Amazon.

16. npmacuser5, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

Tim Cook did say later this year. Still has time to happen.

Apple has promised that TVOS would easily allow App developers the ability to have IOS games available to Apple TV at first rollout two years ago. Limited game integration at best. Apple TV, for me, one Apple device that over promised and under delivered.

17. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

This is correct. Later this year means till December 31st. Now if December 31st comes, and still no app. Then worry lol.

18. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Still ... Promising "later this year" in early September and then dragging it out until the holidays isn't going to earn Apple any points with its customers who already contributed to Apple's 4th quarter bottom line, and still have nothing to show for it halfway through Apple's 1st quarter.

19. KerstinYounger macrumors newbie

KerstinYounger

LOLz you should try living in the UK where just about ALL of the TV stations are scared silly of the platform, only notable services are the BBC iPlayer (who were shamed into developing the app for the platform, not before giving a pathetically thinly veiled attempt at an "excuse" for not developing in the first place) and NowTV from Sky (paid for platform which has a poor offering in my eyes).

All of the other major TV players are off the radar. No ITV, Channel 4 nor Channel 5

The net result? I watch even more Netflix and cannot wait until Amazon Prime Video launches

20. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

Agree but the platforms a bit rubbish isn't it.

Is it even worthwhile ITV, Channel 4 etc developing an app for TVOS? Wonder what kind of user base it has here. Not a particularly big one would be my guess.

21. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

I gave upon and use my smartTv's amazon prime app -- works great, is 4k and apple can suck my toes. Sick of this company and their vaporware and outright nonsense lies. They call themselves green but solder everything to the motherboard. conspicuous waste. Cook needs to go - the company is just outright greedy now.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2017 ---
    I'll bet money this is the rotten apple's doing.