Upcoming Apple TV+ Sci-Fi Drama 'See' Reported to Cost $15 Million Per Episode

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2019.

1. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

Get ready to pay a heck of a lot more for iPhones, iPads and Macs because they are going to be losing a boatload of money.

2. ksec macrumors 6502a

I wonder what's the cost structure like for these $15M Episode, how much it goes to Screen Pay, Writer, Actor, VFX, etc.

And if their presence in production will help to push VVC forward

3. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502a

Spending more per episode does not necessarily mean it will be a better show. It will be interesting to see the competition among the current and new upcoming streaming services. IMO, there is too many streaming services as is and a few more to come.

4. ThunderSkunk, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I’m absolutely going to watch this. It could be about nothing but hiking through pretty scenery for all I care. It looks highly photographic and gorgeous, and I look forward to basking in the self-destruction of this mostly awful species. If it’s dumb I’ll just mute and play Maurice Ravel & a philosophy audiobook over it to sex it up a bit.

...though, I can’t believe they’re still casting Jason Momoa as a primitive savage. In 2019... Can we get Mr Momoa captaining a starship or leading some organization into futurism (not holding a spear)? I mean jeez...

Looking forward to it regardless.

5. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Why Apple? Why!

There's a whole world out there! Seriously do people really 'need' more tragic TV???

6. ROGmaster, Jul 12, 2019

ROGmaster Suspended

The internet has been mostly blocked in China for years.
    This service most likely won't be available in China. Chinese people can watch certain western movies only at the Cinema. For example superhero movies generally are allowed in China.

Anyway most of the current Movies and TV shows are successful especially thanks to their availability world wide. And I'm thinking about platform availability because this is what's relevant for video streaming services.
    If this service will mainly be available on Apple devices it will become a problem for apple both from a financial and PR point of view. But one this will be certain, their competition won't have this problem.

7. Khedron macrumors 65816

I wonder if they used the FaceTime Attention Correction algorithm to correct the actors' eyes to all have blank stares which is supposed to indicate blindness?

8. ratpH1nk macrumors newbie

I think maybe a better way to think about these endeavors is something like $$/hour. A "big budget" movie may cost $150 million, but you are getting 2 hours of entertainment. $150 million for 10 hours is a little bit of a different proposition.

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

A couple of poor selling iPhone launches and those billions will quickly dry up.

10. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Seems like apple needs to buy a couple of networks to grab some content to stream because their unique content offerings aren't compelling, may want to pad it out a little!

11. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Everyone, add this to the list of posts to look back on that are going to make these people make a fool of themselves well into the future like in the infamous iPod thread.

12. vmistery macrumors 6502a

The problem I have is I already pay for Amazon / Netflix / NowTV (UK service) and my TV licence. To add Disney and Apple means I'd have to cut out at least one of the others.

13. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I feel like I am regularly in the minority on this site. I don't have rose colored glasses but I do have high expectations for Apple TV+. Apple has certainly had some stumbles / false starts on products and services over the years but their home run to strike out ratio is actually pretty good. Apple also brings a certain "wholesomeness" to the streaming video market. Apple has previously said they were focusing on family friendly shows that avoided politics and I think that is a very smart move as people are going to be looking for an escape from non-stop politics as we head into the 2020 Presidential campaign season.

While I really enjoyed House of Cards on Netflix, I thought most of their original programming was mediocre at best. I am planning to subscribe to Apple TV+ as soon as it is available to give it a try.

14. Khedron macrumors 65816

Did the people who said Apple News+ would fail make fools of themselves or is that going to turn around?

15. Nahaz macrumors 6502

Nahaz

Sounds like so many other movies but just change out the disaster.

I would like to see a TV Series about Humans who leave Earth because we scorched the surface with Global Warming, so we go to another habitable planet and try to make a new start, only to find out that the planet was once occupied by a race similar to our own who had left the planet we now occupy for the exact same reasons we left Earth centuries ago, and they have now returned. It would make a good synopsis

16. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

People are assuming that Apple is new at this because the company itself is new at TV but Apple brought in two of the most experienced veterans in the TV industry to run their production company. These shows are made by acclaimed directors and producers and the actors are notable. What makes you think that this combination of talent is going to fail?

Of course not every TV show is going to appeal to everyone but that's obvious. I don't like everything on Netflix. I find what I do like and watch it but I don't complain about the hundreds of poorly made or otherwise not interesting content they have on there. This is why I like that Apple is focusing on fewer series so they can ensure each one gets the attention and scrutiny it needs.

17. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

JOBS-3:16

Apple TV+ is going to be an epic flop. Wait for it...

18. code-m, Jul 12, 2019

code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

More people today watch videos and listen to music compared to reading, I am not sure one can compare the success of all three. Looking at stats alone of internet usage for YouTube compared to online publications one can easily make a quick decision of where user interest is.

19. MacOH21 macrumors member

Might consider this if there's an attractive bundle with Apple Music. Between cable, Netflix, Amazon Prime (and I'm getting Disney+ because my Star Wars overlords told me to), that's alot. Man's got to eat.

20. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Maybe or maybe not, just another thing added to the portfolio.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 ---
    Lol, presently people spend more time trying to decide what show or movie to watch, soon people will spend more time trying to decide what service to watch, then a show or movie and by the time you are actually watching something you are either tired or lost interest. :p

21. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

JOBS-3:16

The Newton was added to the portfolio as well, and we were all very thankful for that.

22. ipponrg macrumors 68000

The problem I see here is not the ratio but risk. They did not invest a ton of money into recent things they struck out on. The media space is a totally different beast though, as they have tried to previously muscle their way in but failed miserably. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but rest assured, this industry is not concerned about Apple. They are a true underdog.

Netflix programming definitely is a hit/miss, but it’s quite possible you might have different tastes than Netflix’s target demographics.

23. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Though I find SciFi entertaining, most are laughable inaccurate. Your concept is an interesting one with some major flaws, however entertaining :)

24. agffth macrumors member

You could have said the same thing to Netflix. And they didn't have any money when they started. Apple has the money to operate the streaming service at a lost for 10 years if they wanted to.

25. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Newton was not the only failed Apple attempt, however that happened pre Jobs 2.0. I believe Apple has been playing it safe to be honest. I am happy to see that some risk is being taken, Cook just seems like a very cautious person unlike Musk.