Upcoming Apple TV+ Sci-Fi Drama 'See' Reported to Cost $15 Million Per Episode

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ipponrg macrumors 68000

That’s a false sense of success. Talent is not a guaranteed metric.

2. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

What is the point of this service other than Apple is not selling as much hardware as frequently as it was so let’s charge existing customers subscriptions for things to make up the shortfall? Sure seems like Apple is working backwards from the financials on all this subscription stuff, trying to please Wall Street which loves so-called “services”.

3. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

JOBS-3:16

I believe this is another post Jobs 2.0 mistake, and there have been many on this end of the spectrum as well. Only one way to find out though I suppose.

4. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

That could be said about most successful companies. Maybe this fails and Apple gets another slap in the face like did with Apple News, maybe it is just mediocre and enough to build on by offsetting costs similar to what Amazon does or maybe it is a success and more good things to come, it is a wait and see scenario.

5. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

In which universe are you living? Almost all high profile TV shows are available in China. Big Bang Theory, House of Cards, Game of Thrones. Online streaming services like QQ, Aiqiyi has many western movies.

If your internet is only Google or Facebook services, then yes Internet has been blocked by Chinese government. But in actuality, it is not. Chinese people are enjoying western movies, TV shows just like you western people do.

Just go to any Chinese streaming website, you will find these big profile TV show, movies etc.

Stop spreading these lies about China.

6. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

G4 Cube was a failed product because of thermal design the TrashCan MP also seemed to suffer the same. Apple has had more success than losses, here is hoping though hard to say with increased competition.

7. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Are you living in last century?

8. ipponrg macrumors 68000

Apple probably has the capital and ecosystem to actually take the risk. Jobs wanted to do something like this during his tenure. Maybe they feel now, they can turn this into something profitable. Their recent expansion of iTunes/airplay into SmartTVs might align them for this.

9. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Maybe ROGmaster is referring to censorship to a certain degree, don't know just saying. For example GoT is available to view however some scenes are cut, dubbed, or blurred.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 ---
    That may explain why Cook was named the successor to be able to fund these projects with profit increases.

10. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

I found a much better use for my G4 Cube :)

IMG_0279.jpg

11. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Apple initially wanted iPod to be just for music, which others had portable video players and mp3 devices. They later transitioned the device for video and so on. I believe Apple recognized then that even though watching video on a small screen has inherent drawbacks, the consumer preferred it especially a younger audience. Hence the push towards mobile video over the year with larger screens, stereo sound, etc.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 ---
    A suspended aquarium with an Apple logo, nice repurpose. :):cool:

12. agffth macrumors member

Exactly. And the upside is worth trying.

13. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

China does not have PG system in place for TV shows and movies. So, sexual sense, violent sense or anything that is not suitable form youth to views are either cut, blurred.

Yes, censorship is there and some shows are censored or not available. It that doesn’t mean, China is like North Korea and Chinese people living in those internet block hole.

14. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

Once the reviews hit and people are walking around yammering about "Did you see the most recent (Apple show)" it will catch on. At least, that is their plan.

15. kaycrystal626 macrumors member

kaycrystal626

Too many God damn streaming services now. I want to go back to the old days where I can buy the DVD of my favorite episodes.

16. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

You still can, and I still do. I have them all ripped to my iMac, and I can watch all of my movies and TV episodes on any of my Apple TV's throughout my home.

17. Mactendo macrumors 68000

And that company couldn’t build the AirPower...

18. Tech198 macrumors G5

Can't find evidence, but i'm pretty sure original content is still cheaper than copyrighted content licensed from studios (per episode)

All i can see is how much spend per year, which could mean anything.

19. ROGmaster, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

ROGmaster Suspended

What are you talking about? Netflix is not available in China for example. https://www.saporedicina.com/english/list-of-blocked-websites-in-china/
    And yes the internet is mostly blocked in China and I'm not talking about sites that show puppy pictures, I'm talking about serious sites that show serious information.

Also regarding Big band Theory for example: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/27/china-censor-big-bang-theory-stream-tv
    And you aggressively accuse me of lying.

20. Caseynd macrumors regular

Caseynd

Yeah, here I was thinking he is Jason Momoa of Stargate Atlantis fame....

21. cardfan macrumors 68000

I was skeptical at first too. I mean this content alone isn’t going to break even. It’ll take years to possibly do that. And Apple doesn’t do much without clear revenues and profit margins.

But as usual there’s more to it. This is apples attempt to make atv worthwhile (relevant). To leverage the millions of iTunes accounts into paying for 3rd party content (channels) that Apple gets 15/30 percent of. To get people to use the atv app.

Will it work out for them? As long as the app is solid. As long as the 15/30 rules can remain. As long as they get others to be part of the atv channels thing. As long as they continue to iterate the hardware.

At the very least it’s an investment by Apple into the atv ecosystem and signals they haven’t given up on it. I doubt Apple is making much just off atv sales. As Cook has said they just want a piece of the pie.

22. Ar40 macrumors newbie

Make one less episode and send me the $15 Million please.

23. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Nice plot. Another plot could be about humans who leave Earth and go to another planet to find out it is not suitable for any life. And another planet. And another. Then they realize how stupid they were to destroy they home planet. Then they run out of their resources. The end.

Or we come to Mars to find out we ruined it many ages ago and left to Earth to start from scratch and Earth is now ruined also. Interstellar flights are not available. The end.

Sci-fi movies and theories suggest it’s so easy to terraform another planet but in reality we can’t stop killing our own while watching how we’re killing it.

24. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Lol, more of this stuff huh?

Tell me more about the most profitable company in the world needing lessons in business.

25. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

Tell me more about Apple of early 1997...it can and will happen again skippy. Especially with Crook at the helm.