Upcoming Apple TV+ Sci-Fi Drama 'See' Reported to Cost $15 Million Per Episode

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Apple is nothing like 1997. Silly comparison.

2. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

JOBS-3:16

In your mind. It's okay, I'm sure you didn't see the writing on the wall back then either...if you were around.

3. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Dystopian future. Can’t wait until they introduce the zombies.

4. jimbobb24 macrumors 65816

Its hard to do this right. Netflix and Amazon are very hit and miss on their original stuff...just like HBO, AMC, and broadcast TV. But actors and people who make movies at every level should be making some serious cash with all the tech money raining down.

A show in which everyone is blind sounds kind of dumb. I don't think humans would survive vs animals if they were all blind. But maybe all the animals are blind. In which case only herbivores are going to survive.

5. markaceto macrumors regular

markaceto

Who asked for an Apple TV service?

6. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

that seems like a lot of money for just one episode...or am I way off base here?

7. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

If you would have bought Apple in 1997, you’d be retired.

Ignoring Apple’s position today and predicting doom and gloom makes you sound silly.

8. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

CyberBob859

That's $15 million PER EPISODE! That's a lot of money that could be going into the next great gadget - you know, something that they are actually pretty good at doing.

When you see big media giants buying up other big media giants, I still think Apple is not on the right side of this. Making very compelling devices to get that content on anything we own (TV, laptop/desktop, phone or tablet) should be their focus, and have these media companies come to Apple to get prime front-page access to their customers.

I still like Jason Snell's idea of Apple creating a high quality soundbar with Apple TV built in.

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I’m still waiting to see how Steve Jobs “cracked” TV.... Any day now...

10. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

CyberBob859

WOW - I had almost the exact same synopsis, but my difference was we came looking for a hospitable planet, only to have problems co-habitating with the existing race who has done a much better job in keeping their planet environmentally safe and balanced.

Then Avatar got made, and I went back to my regular day job! :D

11. JOBS-3:16, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

If I would've bought Apple in 1987, I'd be retired now...what's your point? I haven't ignored Apple's position today, nor did I ignore it back in 1997. It's over your head, no worries. Run along now.

12. Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

Well, if not we will surely contribute heavily when buying our beloved phones and tablets...

13. Pearple macrumors member

Oh, 15 Mio per episode, that is why they solder the RAMs and SSDs...

Apple with Tim behind the steering wheel is on the road to nowhere...

14. superleakTx macrumors regular

15. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

The 2019 Mac Pro. Return of the tower form factor, industry-standard PCIe GPUs and expandability, all for the low price of... oh, right.

16. johnnyrb macrumors regular

Some of these shows sound interesting. For me, it all depends on the price to view this.

17. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Hey “LovingTeddy” I believe you may have taken my response in error, I was only saying that some inappropriate material is censored, I lived in places that did this that did not mean The shows or movies were not available. Which you have also confirmed and I agree the other poster was wrong in their assumption but maybe it was the wrong word used to convey what was intended “censorship”. :)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 ---
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Unless Apple is planning on going backwards and releasing VHS, DVD’s, etc the risk is calculated. Besides having a business write-off is not the end of the world considering the content will be available for years to come.

There are some movies that age well and some not so, does that mean those movies should have never been made.

18. truthertech, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

truthertech macrumors 68000

Are you kidding? Apple has hundreds of millions of people who are already subscribers to their services in a customer base of over a BILLION people. They have countless ways to leverage Apple TV +, e.g., stand alone subscriptions, purchase/rent individual episodes, part of a bundle with Apple Music, etc., free with purchase of hardware, etc., etc., Any one of those will easily bring in more value than their investment to date of a billion or so.

To contrast, Netflix, a very well run company, is in a precarious situation because of their model. They have huge, and growing competitors, Amazon, Hulu, Sony, Google, HBO, etc., and now Apple and Disney, so they are bidding against giants, most of whom have multiple revenue streams, but Netflix is limited in how much they can raise their prices for their single revenue stream despite these massively rising costs.

People don't understand how this business works. Every time Apple introduces a product or service so many people get it wrong. They assume Apple has to be #1 to be successful. Apple has no need or interest in competing with Netflix and others in number of subscribers. They often do such a good job that they end up #1 in so many categories, and Apple has built a Video team from the most successful people in the industry, and has the deepest pockets, but Apple's goal is simply to add value to their incredible ecosystem.

19. Crow_Servo macrumors regular

Crow_Servo

Looking forward to Apple Arcade and its possibilities for more innovative mobile gaming. As for Apple TV+, not so much. I’m not against it, but that presentation earlier this year was a snoozefest. They need to step up their game with the hyping of these shows. As of now, they seem underwhelming.

20. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Hahaha...the condescending genius act. Yeah, ok. I think my post is over your head. How many shares do you own?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 ---
    Apple has plenty of money to spend on content. Actually, more money than anyone if we are being serious.

21. CordovaLark macrumors member

CordovaLark

So in "See" everyone is blind but still manage to have perfect hair, and trimmed beards?

22. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

5,119 shares. How many shares do you own?

23. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

Even failures can be worth it when they become tax write offs. This will become a tax write off.

24. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

More than that. But you should understand better if you have that position.

25. CordovaLark macrumors member

CordovaLark

Just give us an update to what's going on with the Foundation series? Has it even started filming yet, are any of the episodes finished, or is the first season not even finished with the writing?