Upcoming Apple TV+ Sci-Fi Drama 'See' Reported to Cost $15 Million Per Episode

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Lalatoon macrumors member

I was born last century and also I'm not from China.

So I did a quick search using Google and it seems Netflix is not available in China. Not just Netflix but other popular streaming sites also. They suggest you use VPN to defeat the Great Firewall of China.

2. truthertech macrumors 68000

So, you assume blind people can't care for themselves and are all disheveled?

3. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

China has its own video streaming sites and we do imports lots of TV shows.

Netflix is not available in China and Hulu is not available in Canada.

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

I can’t see it being a “killer”. I may get some share, as pretty much they all do. They are so far behind others who’ve been at it and are really good at it. They’re not really offering anything new. They are doing the exact same thing as everyone else only 5 years too late.

5. jsmith189 macrumors 68000

jsmith189

It's interesting that they're being criticised for spending a lot of money on a service they have no experience in, yet if they b*tched out and only gave us cheaper shows they'd be criticised for not taking their new venture seriously enough.

Lose/lose, it seems?

6. ipponrg macrumors 68000

Not sure about that. Don’t think anyone would complain if they had decided to not venture into this industry and focus on their core competency again

7. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

If you have children, you will know this is impossible.....

8. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

each company requires a subscription to watch its exclusive shows... the TPB will thrive again... we went full circle.

9. cardfan macrumors 68000

Who’s criticizing for spending too much? You do realize Netflix’s budget is 15 billion for this year. Apple’s is one billion. If anything they need to spend more at least initially. And I’m not advocating 15 billion or trying to be like Netflix.

Considering what Apple has, this is merely Cook pulling a string. Dipping his toe in the water. It doesn’t feel like a full on commitment to having this service. It feels more like an experiment that’s subject to being dropped at their whim.

Heck I’m being very nice justifying the whole thing thinking Apple is going for subs of 3rd party channels. And that it is their true goal as long as they get 30 percent.

I can even see why they would pass on buying say a Time Warmer when it was up for grabs. However it gets harder to make excuses for them when they lose to ATT for JJ Abrams. Whether you like him or not he’s one you want exclusive while denying others. Because in the end the experiment will fail if you’re not willing to jump in the water.

10. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Hopefully Tim Cook won't try to make cameos in all the various productions like Stan Lee. Oh wait, he's already in carpool karaoke. Reminds me of Ted Turner trying to be in his movies.
    If they want to do a deep fake have Steve Jobs do a bit part. People would watch to see him.

11. jsmith189 macrumors 68000

jsmith189

90% of the first page. Lmao. But I agree though, this isn't the sort of service you can half ass an expect it to do amazingly well. I'm all for them actually making the investment to make good quality content - even if it doesn't last, at least we'll have a bunch of shows that were well made.

12. cmaier macrumors G5

That pleases the elephant. I don’t see the problem.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2019 ---
    EVERYONE on carpool karaoke is making a cameo. Do I need to explain it to you?
    That’s why i can never cancel Netflix. However I *do* rotate AMC, CBS, etc. depending on when Walking dead, Star Trek, etc. is out. And Hulu comes and goes in our house as well.
    Would be interesting to see what Netflix could do with that money if they didn’t spend so much of it on cheap garbage shows. Really aren’t very many tent poles. They throw a lot of junk on there and hope some of it catches fire.

13. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

Why? Do you own some AAPL?

14. cmaier macrumors G5

If he doesn’t own stock he should hope it’s not profitable?

15. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

That would be brilliant, as Roku's 3000 terrible channels* wouldn't be nearly as appealing as getting one quality channel that supplements the content people really want to see.

* I swear one was just security footage at a minor league cricket stadium.

Sadly that doesn't really seem to make sense with their recent drive to put Apple TV on smart TVs.

16. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I can't say that I'm interested in paying for access to even more content that I don't have time to watch. Prime Video is more than enough to occupy my limited viewing time, but I also have Netflix which is paid for through my T-mobile Wireless plan. I let my HBO sub lapse a number of years ago. It will be interesting to see if Apple can produce a show successful enough to justify the money, time and hype.

17. cmaier macrumors G5

What hype?

18. garylapointe macrumors 68000

garylapointe

It's NOT impossible. They obviously do not NEED Netflix?

They can watch children's stuff on Prime on Netflix off months...

And you don't know what will be there for them on AppleTV+?

19. TVreporter, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2019

TVreporter macrumors 6502

TVreporter

That’s pretty much “The 100”

Purchasing and revamping Netflix to suit their programming needs would have been easier.

It’s getting crowded and what they’ve offered so far hasn’t swayed me one bit

20. Lalatoon macrumors member

Well, fortunately for Apple there are lots consumer out there that will get Apple TV+ because it is from Apple :).

21. cmaier macrumors G5

It’ll be worth it for the Asimov’s Foundation series alone.

22. Lalatoon, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019

Lalatoon macrumors member

Ive read somewhere that Foundation is only 10 episode. I hope for more episodes. I mean 3 books squeezed into 10 episodes is not enough to tell the whole story.

Anyway, my question is with that so much spending for series and movies, is income from Apple subscription enough to pay for those expenses considering that you can only subscribe if you have Apple hardware? I don't think its even possible to use this service using macOS, there is no TV app for macOS yet. Basically they have limited subscriber. I don't think people will start buying iPhones so that they can subscribe to Apple TV+.

Lets say like the Music app they will have 60 million subscriber at launch and lets say the subscription is 10$, so that's $600m. Given that for some series they spend $15m an episode, $600m profit is not enough. I guess subscription is somewhere near $20 :)

23. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

But why should I switch or be forced to another provider?

And you’re right. They don’t NEED Netflix but it’s incredibly useful. We don’t live in the Victorian ages and while I don’t allow my child to be glued to the telly all day, it’s a useful tool for parenting.

However we digress.

My point is this is yet ANOTHER subscription service and frankly I’m getting peeved off with this. It’s not in consumer interest and dilutes existing content so you ARE forced to sign up to see your favourite programs....and I believe it just promotes piracy.

I’m not saying I pirate but if I were to enjoy my favourite programs I would have to subscribe to Netflix, Prime, HBO and Sky. Combine that cost! It’s a total p*** take to the consumer. And now I’ve got to add Apple TV+ to that???? Come on!

24. cmaier macrumors G5

No, the initial order is allegedly 10 episodes. That means just the first “season.”

25. Peter_M, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019

Peter_M macrumors regular

Wow. 15 million dollars (!!!) per episode for another run of the mill post-apocalyptic cliched TV-show. Where did all the imagination go? If you gonna make a sci-fi series with that kind of money, at least try to come up with an interesting premise first. The TV-industry today is overrun with lazy and mediocre scriptwriters, who lack the talent and the brains to come up with something truly exciting (but have the right politics). But, I'm sure there'll be lots of "diversity" and "inclusion" in the show. Also, Jason Mamoa is NOT a main protagonist-type actor, even though he ticks off the BAME-box.

Thanks, but no thanks.