Upcoming Apple TV+ Sci-Fi Drama 'See' Reported to Cost $15 Million Per Episode

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2019.

1. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

Uh oh, a share count war. :) I'm about 11k above that. Do I win? I'm glad I started buying back at $7/share.

PS. I'm interested in seeing if they can have some good sci-fi. Always tough finding enough of that.

2. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

JOBS-3:16

Sure you do ;) At any rate, I've labored on this topic long enough. To carry on with you any further would be most indecorous.

3. Dirtfarmer, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

Dirtfarmer macrumors regular

At one time they were a product company.

Now they forgot how to make products so they are making...youtube shows?

Hey Accountant King: Here's an idea! SPEND THE MONEY INVENTING A WORKING KEYBOARD

#FIRETHEACCOUNTANT

4. JOBS-3:16 macrumors regular

JOBS-3:16

No share count war here. They asked, and I answered. I don't really care how many shares anyone owns. That is of no consequence to me.

5. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

I took yours as face value, why not mine? A $1M position is solid, but it’s not like there aren’t other millionaires in the world, right?

You could have easily made up your number.

And put away your thesaurus...lord.

6. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Tim (Hollywood-envy) Cook

7. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

Im never interested in the shows that I only hear about from here. literally never seen an ad for an apple show or anything

8. wigby macrumors 68000

If Apple gave us what we asked for, they would be out of business decades ago.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 ---
    So many things wrong with this statement but I'll simply state that the platform (and presumably the shows) won't launch for months so why would you expect to already have seen ads for them?

9. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

For me is more about the price of ATV+ to make this a success. I am just afraid Apple will charge again a premium and then it will be another subscription in a crowded space.
    I currently have Netflix because of my TMobile service and cable. Honestly with so much content out there online I have not much interest jumping into another service. Apple should have a subscription package that encompasses all their services at a reasonable price but I don't see them doing it because "reasonable" is not on their vocabulary.
    So I will not be surprise if this fails just like the News subscription.

10. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Dude. You can find Big Bang theory on Aiqiyi.com. Aiqiyi is one of the biggest three video streaming sites.

You are just typical westerner who have strong bias against China.

Name a serious site shows serious information. And we don’t need these right wing conspiracy theory site. We don’t care.

Attached Files:

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

but it's the one you are getting, if you choose to sign up, so harping about what didn't happen isn't really any good.

but i feel ya. i would have been happy with Apple finding a way to get their catalog global and fill in the holes were shows are missing seasons. and to start giving up 4k downloads. i never expected them to stream anything. i would have also been cool if they could have gotten hulu, prime and netflix all to allow this in app streaming that things like HBO will have. i hate shifting apps.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 ---
    you are thinking about this wrong. Apple TV plus isn't really a subscription service. it's another channel like HBO etc. just happens its a channel run by Apple

12. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Rather than trying to compete with the BIG boys, Apple should go after Live Sports, starting with the Soccer Mom & Soccer Dad audience !

And ONLY AFTER they prove that, expand from there.

1080p60 in Display P3 "streamed" to small local audiences would be a great way for Apple to establish a beachhead !

I don't think Tim Cook, Phil Schiller & Eddy Cue have "any clue" as to how to run a company like Apple, with ALL its financial resources !

They (clearly) have Hollywood envy !

13. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I am sure you are correct about Netflix programming. My two millennial daughters like more of their shows than I do. I like Patriot Act on Netflix but don't care much for most of their other original shows but I am sure they are targeting a younger demographic. Only time will tell on Apple's venture into original programming. They seem to be shooting for broad appeal with some nostalgia for Gen X (like myself) as well as Sci-Fi, Rom-Com, etc. I agree it is a risk but I remain optimistic it will pay off.

14. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Like the people who said the AppleWatch would fail after a difficult start? Like MobileMe that was so broken and was reinvented as iCloud which went on to become a huge success? Like AppleMusic that was riddled with problems and had to be rebooted entirely the following year? Apple has a history of making course corrections and making their products and services eventual hits.

The bottom line is that there is a real problem in the news industry in that people aren't willing to pay for multiple subscriptions (or none at all) and Apple News+ has assembled a model that has the potential to solve that. I wouldn't bet against it becoming a success.

We don't know yet enough about the model AppleTV+ will use to monetize these shows but I suspect Apple is assembling a list of services that together will fall under a single + subscription giving Apple users access to Music, TV, Games, News, and iCloud storage. The TV shows will be a sweetener to get people on board with a subscription that will lead to further sales in Apple hardware and subscriptions to third party services where Apple gets 30%. What they invest in these shows will turn out to be pocket change compared to the return they'll get.

15. H. Flower macrumors 6502

In this space, you gotta take risks with content, because Disney+ already has the family market cornered.

I think they’re playing it too safe. But we’ll see.

16. hagjohn macrumors 6502

hagjohn

There are way too many streaming services available. I can’t see how they all survive.

17. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

You dont think all these stupid "reports" and articles aren't some form of advertising? It wont launch for months true but I heard about stranger things 3 since the last one ended. You think they should just wait till day of to advertises?

18. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Really? You can't see how a trillion dollar company is going to survive if their TV side gig doesn't make them money? :confused:

iTunes didn't make Apple any money for most of the iPod's history but it uhhh... sold iPods — which was the entire point.

19. garylapointe macrumors 68000

garylapointe

You don't need to keep all those services at once. You can rotate them out.
    Netflix on the even months AppleTV+ on the odd months.

20. Khedron macrumors 65816

Apple News+ is fundamentally flawed.

If you don't want to support news why pay.

If you do want to support news why pay Apple 50%.

21. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

News distributors already made more than 50%. That's how it's been for almost the entire history of newspapers. The news stand already makes about half of the price of a paper, the distributor, if it's a third party makes a cut too. Newspapers typically kept less than 30% of the cut of a paper unless they were the ones shipping it to subscribers themselves.

22. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

He is, where he was cast as... a “noble savage” from a primitive warrior culture. And again on Frontier, and again of GOT, etc etc etc... and though they did make him security, ahem Worf, at least he wasn’t made to actually hold a spear like Tealc.

23. Khedron, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

Khedron macrumors 65816

Comparing the printing and transport of newspapers to Apple throwing up some links to articles is a joke.

24. jimbobb24 macrumors 65816

In 1998 I had $6000 to invest. I was choosing between Apple and another companie. Unlike all you smart people I didn’t choose Apple and my $6000 today is worth 0$. Not as much as I lost on my first house but painful given what I was considering.

25. Macaholic868 macrumors 6502

Macaholic868

I’m not sure what Apple is going for here. Apple News+ is a disaster. They can’t even get content curation right these days and their going for original content now? This, to me, screams acquisition. They’ve got the cash. Why not buy a service that does original content like a Netflix, an HBO or a Showtime? That being said Apple Music was a disaster at launch and it’s a service I love and happily pay for now so who knows? Maybe Apple refines Apple News+ and gets it right and does the same with Apple TV+.

As for the criticism about too many video streaming services, I’ll never understand anybody who pays for all of them month in and month out. Pick one that has enough content that you’re willing to keep it year round then pick another rotating burner service where you binge watch the content you want to and when you’re done you cancel it and move on to the next one.

To me Apple TV+ is a service nobody is asking for. That being said if they make it a free channel in the Apple TV app that’s available for those who own Apple made devices and/or subscribe to other channels in the Apple TV app and they are actually able to produce great content then I can see it as a loss leader to drive Apple device sales.