Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is rumored to be launching a new seventh-generation iPad mini soon, but the new model will not feature a 120Hz ProMotion display, claims a leaker with alleged supply chain sources.

ipad-mini-9.jpg

According to the Twitter account @Tech_Reve, the iPad mini 7 "still doesn't have 120Hz," with only the A-series processor expected to receive an upgrade.

Suggestions that Apple could conceivably adopt ProMotion for a next-generation ‌iPad mini‌ began to receive attention when the "jelly scrolling" phenomenon was identified shortly after the iPad mini 6 was released in September 2021.

"Jelly scrolling" refers to screen tearing, which can cause text or images on one side of the screen to appear to be tilted downwards because of a mismatch in refresh rates. It can cause one side of the display to look as if it's responding faster than the other side, a visual disturbance that's hard to miss once you notice it.

Apple says the phenomenon is normal behavior for LCD iPads. Since LCD screens refresh line by line, there is a tiny delay between when the lines at the top and lines at the bottom are refreshed. But while this may be normal behavior for LCD screens, it can appear more obvious when observed on the ‌‌iPad mini's smaller screen‌‌.

Late last year, a rumor on Korean forums suggested Apple was testing a Samsung-supplied display for a future ‌‌iPad mini‌‌ that would allow for up to 120Hz refresh rates, but no such model has been forthcoming, and Apple's plans for the iPad mini are still unclear, and rumors of an update have only gathered pace over the last couple of months.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman earlier this year reported that an iPad mini update with a minor "spec bump" is not out of the question in 2024. More recently in August, the leaker known as "ShrimpApplePro" suggested a seventh-generation iPad mini was in the works at Apple, and said that they had seen evidence that at least one new iPad model is coming this year. A DigiTimes report last month said Apple plans to release a "small-sized iPad" in the fourth quarter, while 9to5Mac just last week said that its sources believe the ‌iPad mini‌ 7 is coming "soon."

If anything happens before the holidays, a chip upgrade may be the most likely feature of a new ‌iPad mini‌. The ‌sixth-generation iPad mini‌ currently contains the A15 Bionic chip, while the new iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro use the A16 and A17 Pro chip, respectively. A minor spec bump could also include upgrades to the front and rear cameras, potentially bringing features like Photonic Engine to the ‌iPad‌ for the first time.

Article Link: Upcoming iPad Mini 7 Still Rumored to Lack 120Hz ProMotion Display

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: gusmula and imdog

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
This isn’t even close to as big of a problem as PWM that everyone seems to ignore or sweep under the rug. OLED screens cause nausea and headaches in a considerable amount of people some of whom don’t even know where their symptoms are coming from. Fix PWM Apple!!!

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
ProMotion is an OLED thing, isn’t it? I don’t see Apple being able to target the $400 base price point of the mini with an OLED panel just yet, so, of course, ProMotion/120Hz would be out of the picture. The iPad mini is nearly as much of a budget model as the base iPad, and I don’t really see it going OLED until the base iPad is able to.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Jelly scrolling is only visible (to those who see it) in portrait mode. It’s not present in landscape. I imagine Apple has enough user data to know what percentage of users use the iPad in landscape vs portrait.

My wife doesn’t follow online forums, like most people, so she’s never been bothered by it on her iPad mini. I would hear about it if she had a complaint…

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
ProMotion is an OLED thing, isn’t it? I don’t see Apple being able to target the $400 base price point of the mini with an OLED panel just yet, so, of course, ProMotion/120Hz would be out of the picture. The iPad mini is nearly as much of a budget model as the base iPad, and I don’t really see it going OLED until the base iPad is able to.

No, ProMotion was introduced on the iPad Pro, which has a traditional LCD, long before the iPhone. And the new MacBook Pros also have ProMotion on their miniLED screens.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
This isn’t even close to as big of a problem as PWM that everyone seems to ignore or sweep under the rug. OLED screens cause nausea and headaches in a considerable amount of people some of whom don’t even know where their symptoms are coming from. Fix PWM Apple!!!
Not possible without losing color accuracy. Also, Apple doesn’t make their own panels, so it’s Samsung and friends who own the tech who would have to fix it.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The iPad mini is nearly as much of a budget model as the base iPad
No, the last few mini generations always had the better display (laminated, AR coating) of the mid-range (formerly top-range) iPads, like the current iPad Air. Excepting the current jelly scrolling, of course.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
- huge bezels (side bezels thicker than the original mini)
- narrower screen (4:3 aspect ratio was ideal)
- garbage display (worse quality than mini 5)
- no Face ID (6-year old tech)
- not optimized iPadOS (for this screen size)
- overpriced (64GB Wi-Fi for 650€ in Europe)
Also:
- weird volume button placement and behavior (orientation-dependent)
- less comfortable to hold than the older models with the smooth back curve

The iPad mini 6 was really a big disappointment.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
I got the Mini just two months ago as I really wanted something for reading. While I do notice the jelly scroll, I kinda knew Apple weren't going to give us Pro Motion or update the screen in any meaningful way so soon. Luckily it doesn't interfere too much when I'm just reading or watching movies.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I love my iPad Mini’s, 5 & 6, for casual things, and the size is perfect for me.

iPads have long life, for different tasks as they age.
Still have a iPad Air from 2013, but it only works if I run it through my Studio Display.
It won’t charge of itself anymore. It serves great as a larger Clock only today though.

Won’t buy a new Mini until they have the M-chip.

Also:
- weird volume button placement and behavior (orientation-dependent)
- less comfortable to hold than the older models with the smooth back curve

The iPad mini 6 was really a big disappointment.

I was satisfied with the upgrade from 5 to 6 Mini.

But I would love a Mini Pro - hope it comes.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
- huge bezels (side bezels thicker than the original mini)
- narrower screen (4:3 aspect ratio was ideal)
- garbage display (worse quality than mini 5)
- no Face ID (6-year old tech)
- not optimized iPadOS (for this screen size)
- overpriced (64GB Wi-Fi for 650€ in Europe)

Personally, as a very happy owner of Mini 6:

-prefer the not-huge “as is” bezels for at least the FaceTime camera vs. hole punch island or notch
-screen width seems perfectly fine to me
-while I certainly can see the "jelly", display is bright, colorful and seems fine
-if Face ID requires notch or island, I prefer the terrific implementation of touchID already in place. And even if FaceID can fit into a notch-less bezel, I'd prefer keeping the touchID option too.
-(would need more info on what optimizations are missing to have a comment)
-"overpriced" and Apple are eternal complaints about all offerings. Everything is "overpriced" at Apple but apparently many buy anyway... which is also known as price acceptance... undermining the concept of overpriced.

In other words, gripes are an eye of the beholder thing. One man's ugly is another man's beauty. I can easily share your arguments on making everything better at a cheaper price... but the same could be applied for everything else Apple makes too... along with pretty much everything else for sale by any sellers.

Nevertheless, bring on a new Mini 7! My next iPad Mini is probably the 9 or 10, so need 7 & 8 to roll out in these middling years to get to the next generation I'll buy. I suspect the 9 or 10 will be a feature-loaded beauty of a Mini at a bargain overprice. ;)

Last edited:

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I dont see the point of this upgrade if it happens.

Surely, the mini at its price point deserves at least the M1 processor and a better display.

Those, like me, that have the mini and have got rid of the larger iPads due to the mini's protability and utility... dont have much reason to upgrade if its such a lacklustre update.

Keeping the display as it is and simply upgrading the A series processor for another A series processor doesnt seem worthwhile. Im sure there would be more to it.

I think Apple needs to decide or understand the audience for the minis. We dont really want a mini 'standard' iPad along with its deficiencies AND higher price point - but a 'mini air' is more what the machine is - and therefore should have the M1 at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.