Updated iPods Arriving Alongside Next-Generation iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 4, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While the highlight of next week's Apple media event will almost certainly be the next-generation iPhone, 9to5Mac reports that updated iPods are also likely to be unveiled at the event.

[​IMG]

Details on the updates are scarce, but it appears that Apple will be releasing two or three updated product lines, all of which will be available in multiple colors. Two of the lines appear to correspond to the current iPod shuffle and iPod nano, but it is unclear exactly what the third line represents.
    Amid rumors of a revamped iPod nano with larger screen and home button, the report speculates that the third product could arrive as a new line, allowing Apple to continue offering the current iPod nano design that has gained a following for its small size combined with touchscreen capabilities.

Assuming that the third, unidentified product line is not a revamp of the iPod touch, today's report does not address Apple's plans for its most popular iPod. Apple has been said to be updating it with a 4-inch display similar to the next-generation iPhone's, as well as improved performance and a redesigned body. A front panel with an opening for a 4-inch display said to be for the new iPod touch did leak back in May, but other part leaks for the redesigned iPod touch have been non-existent.

Article Link: Updated iPods Arriving Alongside Next-Generation iPhone

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

3. MRxRoman macrumors newbie

So does this mean there actually will be 5 products including the new iPhone?

4. paulloewen macrumors newbie

Add bluetooth, a speaker and microphone to the nano, take away the clip and slip it into a watchband, and you have a winner...

5. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

So does this mean the iPod Touch will get a taller display aswell?

6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Makes sense. They'll probably update them all to support the new dock connector.

7. Yvan256 macrumors 603

Yvan256

If the iPhone 5 gets a taller display then I'm hoping an updated iPod touch will get the same display.

8. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I wonder what will happen to the iPod classic. They haven't updated it since 2009 but they haven't discontinued it either, as they often do with underperforming products.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Now, we'll get posters trying their damnedest to convince us that the 5 refers to the number of new products :rolleyes:

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Curious to see if any support WiFi, iCloud (or iTunes Match at least?), the camera coming back, or any iOS features that are slowly starting to roll into the iPod line (Obviously iTouch aside)

11. lshaner macrumors regular

lshaner

I want a nano with bluetooth. Given the accelero-pedometer feature already present that would make the perfect runner's iPod -- tiny, no cables, perfect sound + run distance + calorie tracking via Nike+.

12. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I wonder if there'll be a wifi iPod nano to take advantage of iTunes Match? :)

13. johncarync macrumors regular

johncarync

14. paulloewen macrumors newbie

That's what I'm waiting for. And I'll quickly cancel my Pebble order if it comes!

15. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

16. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

Very cool concept

17. mertyz macrumors regular

mertyz

They didn't discontinue because there is no iPod with that much storage.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think so. It's been rumored for a while, and what better time to do it than this year? :D

19. louis Fashion macrumors 6502a

louis Fashion

I hear all the new products come with an FBI App, so they don't have to track your Apple ID!!

Oh progress.

20. 69650 Suspended

Forget the iPhone 5 - it would really make my year if we finally got to see a proper iWatch like that. If it paired with the iPhone 5 I'd probably upgrade just to get the watch.

21. monkor macrumors regular

The Shuffle is a piece of garbage. They need to integrate the Shuffle and the Nano or something, because the shuffle blows. I hate that I can't charge it with anything other than its stupid charger through the earphones plug. Once my charger broke I literally haven't been able to use it anymore. Now it's a great potato chip clip.

22. lshaner macrumors regular

lshaner

Would not be a selling feature with me. iTunes Match is a dud for anyone like me with a huge library -- I had to turn it off because I would get a 30-60 second delay every time I pressed play, even if the music I was playing was already downloaded to the device.

23. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Do they usually seed new versions of iTunes to developers first?

24. Pegamush macrumors regular

so if the source is true:
    4gb ipod shuffle
    8gb ipod nano (ditch the 16) or vice versa
    32/64 new 5g ipod touch w/ 4" display
    and --> 8gb 4g ipod touch (it's basically the old model, so is not mentioned in the rumor)

25. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24