Updated Versions of iWork and iLife Begin Appearing on the App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released major updates of its iWork and iLife suites for both iOS and OS X. All the apps are now live on their various App Stores.
    [​IMG]
    The iLife suite has been revamped for both platforms, with iPhoto receiving a new look on iOS along with the ability to create and order photo books on the iPad. Both iPhoto for Mac and iPhoto for iOS are 64-bit-optimized, allowing for faster browsing and editing. New tools are included that allow users to create more dramatic images, and favorite images can be saved as custom slideshows.

[​IMG]
    iMovie has been revamped with a design that makes it easier to browse through the video library, also including enhanced sharing tools. iMovie for Mac offers simplified editing tools to quickly improve the look of a movie or add fun effects, while iMovie for iOS introduces desktop-class moviemaking to the iPad and the iPhone. Users can create split screen and picture-in-picture effects, along with advanced audio edits. iMovie Theater, a newly added feature, allows users to watch shared clips, movies, and trailers on all Apple devices, including the Apple TV.

[​IMG]
    GarageBand has also been updated, with the Mac version adding a new Sound Library, Smart Controls, and a new feature called "Drummer," that plays music automatically along with a user. GarageBand for iOS includes an iOS 7-style redesign and Inter-App Audio, allowing users to record third-party music apps into GarageBand. On 32-bit iOS devices, 16 tracks can be added, while 64-bit iOS devices support 32 tracks. iCloud integration allows for seamless editing between iOS and Mac.

[​IMG]
    iWork for Mac, iOS, and iCloud have been updated to make it easier to create and share documents with a unified file format. With a new collaboration tool, iWork for iCloud allows multiple users to edit the same document at the same time, regardless of the device they're working with. iWork has gained a new, simpler user interface, with content-sensitive toolbars in Pages including and object-based design and interactive charts in Numbers. Keynote includes all new transitions and other object-based effects.

iWork for iCloud is fully supported on the latest versions of Safari (OS X), Internet Explorer (Windows), and Google Chrome. Apple says on older versions of Safari and Chrome, and all versions of Firefox, iWork for iCloud will work, but not all features will "work as expected".

For iWork for Mac, Apple appears to be updating the existing iWork apps, meaning users who have previously purchased iWork on the Mac App Store get the new apps for free. Both the iLife and iWork apps are free with the purchase of any new Mac or iOS device, but for users with older devices that don't own the apps, they are available for $14.99/each on the Mac App Store and $4.99/each on the iOS App Store.

Update: Some users with older copies of iLife and iWork are reporting difficulties with upgrading to the new versions.

iPhoto for Mac - [Mac App Store]
    iMovie for Mac - [Mac App Store]
    GarageBand for Mac - [Mac App Store]

iPhoto for iOS - [App Store]
    iMovie for iOS - [App Store]
    GarageBand for iOS - [App Store]

Pages for Mac - [Mac App Store]
    Numbers for Mac - [Mac App Store]
    Keynote for Mac [Mac App Store]

Pages for iOS - [App Store]
    Numbers for iOS - [App Store]
    Keynote for iOS - [App Store]

Article Link: Updated Versions of iWork and iLife Begin Appearing on the App Store

2. uk1simon macrumors member

If you have iWork 09 on CD, is this a free upgrade?

3. AT06 macrumors 6502

AT06

Very clever move from Apple. Simple but clever.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Pages for OS X updated for me. Still not seeing iLife updates for either iOS or OS X.

5. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Hopefully they will update Remote, iBooks and the others today as well.

6. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Nothing showing for me yet...

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

That's my question for those of us that bought physical copies...

8. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Let's hope podcasts, remote, and find my friends get some love too. Find my friends still has all that stitching.....

9. powersurge macrumors regular

iLife 08 here and it doesn't appear to be a free update (though I am still running Snow Leopard atm).

10. Tankmaze, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Afraid not.

really great move from apple!!, hats to Eddy Cue team to manage full compatibility between mac and ios app.

11. JayCee842 macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

Soooo many things left to download. When will I ever be done? :)

12. jonflaire macrumors newbie

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

nope. if you bought them on disc, you have to repurchase.

14. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I had the previous iWork versions in a folder together labeled iWork (Keynote 5.3, Pages 4.3, and Numbers 2.3).

Upon updating these in the MAS just now it installed Keynote 6.0, Pages 5.0, and Numbers 3.0 in my applications folder. But the previous versions are still listed in the iWork sub-folder I had created within applications. Both version for each app are functional but my documents are defaulting to the new versions.

I figured it would just update the old ones completely, not install entire new versions since it fell in the updates section.

15. allistera macrumors regular

Doesn't look like people who got physical copies of iWork can get the update. Guess I might have to buy it again...

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I am able to download Pages for free but Numbers says it's for a different Apple ID.

Which is confusing considering I only have one Apple ID.

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Can i delete the iWork '09 folder from my Application menu now?

18. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

To run the new apps you have to be on Mavericks, so they won't show up for you until you update, but my guess is that you'll have to pay for them as well.

19. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I'm seeing $19.99 for each of the iWork apps, not the $14.99 reported in the article. Those seem to be iLife prices.

20. zappa2001 macrumors newbie

zappa2001

I see nothing new as of yet. Trying to access GarageBand keeps taking me to a blank area on my phone. I really want to try out 32 tracks!!

21. MMOTotal macrumors regular

Just updated Pages, it is a million times better than before, everything is so much simpler and easy to use :D

22. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Same here and I have all the iWork apps and its saying I need to buy each one for $19.99

23. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

Garageband for Mac shows as not available in the US store. I guess it is still repopulating in the store. I'll just have to wait.

24. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Looking at Numbers now. The interface is so minimal. I dare to say so flat :D

25. arkmannj macrumors 68000

arkmannj

Just Got an iPhone 5s for my wife this morning, (before the announcements) so it downloaded and installed the "old versions" how will the updates appear, does anyone know?