Updated Versions of iWork and iLife Begin Appearing on the App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Drewski macrumors regular

Of course, this is just my first impression. I may be missing out on all the new improvements that the Imovie team has bestowed upon us. If my experience is indicative of the norm, everyone should be able to download the imovie update for free while the old imovie lives on happily next door to it in the app folder.

My library, 7 years of home and work videos, seems to be unaffected as I can access them from both apps.

The glaring sore thumb (well, the first one) is the Event Library. On iMovie 9.0.4, the raw events are divided into years, and all the events in each year's "folder" are organized in chronological order. I'm not sure if that is a user-changeable arrangement, but it seems intuitive and logical to me. The new iMovie library is one big folder AFAIK, and the individual events are arranged alphabetically, according to the name that the user gives to the video. There is no date showing in the library, and no apparent way to sort by date. For me, that makes the file organization too difficult.

There are other issues as well, but again, that might just be me - check them all out for yourself... :rolleyes:

2. pepechin macrumors newbie

Do yourself a favor, don't erase it.

Old Pages is WAY better than new one, they have erased main features, as opposed pages configuration, copy and paste attributes, style box, etc, and as you can have only one HUGE inspector palette almost all actions need 1 or 2 more clicks than before.

The new app is at the same time less powerful and more slow, only to improve compatibility with the joke app pages por iOS is.

And as a matter of fact, contrary of Apple says, it wasted more display space tag before.

I think as they didn't had anything good to say about new Pages version they had indeed to lie!!!!

3. porky macrumors regular

Cool, i can now export Photos from iPhoto for iOS to dropbox.

4. smitty0550 macrumors newbie

So far so good

I deleted mine and so far the new apps are working fine. I started by deleting the old Garageband and iMovie apps to check. I never use those so I was ok with them not working. All of the new ones are working fine for everything.

5. salmon macrumors regular

I guess the free upgrade isn't going to work for iWork '08 users? I bought my computer last year, so the iLife apps are updating fine, but I installed an oleo copy of iWork '08 and it's not being recognized.

6. NightLion macrumors newbie

iWork is free if you have a previous version

I'm not sure why everyone is having issues. It took about a day, but the updates to iWork eventually came up as free. I installed iWork '09 from DVD.

7. fmalloy macrumors 6502

iPhoto

What Apple needs to do with iPhoto is not add cute niceties like more greeting card choices and upload to Dropbox, but fix their core infrastructure problem - the atrocious performance on databases with even a modest number of photos.

iPhoto is supposed to be the place where you catalog and store all your precious pics, but once your library grows the performance tanks. I have about 25K photos and it takes absolutely forever to launch. When you finally have access to your photo library, changing any screen, such as going to Faces, etc. again causes a huge wait.

Have no idea why in this era of ultrafast CPUs and disks that iPhoto cannot quickly launch. It's database structure must not be optimized for any sizeable library. I often see it consuming CPU in the background when I'm doing absolutely nothing with it.

And, we shouldn't have to split our libraries into multiple ones. That's just a cop out.

8. Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

Same here.

9. Sylvan macrumors regular

iPhoto 9.5 seems to have dropped the ability to share an entire library. Anyone else notice this? On previous versions there was a Sharing tab in the Preferences, where you could share an entire library with other computers on your home network. Now I don't see the Sharing tab anymore in the new version, and all I see is mention of sharing specific photo streams. This would be disappointing since I have other computers on my home network that I would like to be able to access my entire photo library.

10. stark93 macrumors member

stark93

Check out EveryWeb! It's a pretty cool iWeb Replacement.
    It's Everwebapp .com It's almost the same as iWeb... Pretty cool really. I've used it quite a bit.