Updated Versions of iWork and iLife Begin Appearing on the App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I'm in the same boat. They want to get us all into the MAS, pure and simple.

3 choices:

Don't upgrade
    Upgrade
    Purchase a new computer

2. mariusaz macrumors member

Oh yay. The new Pages app completely mangles my old Pages documents, especially the ones that were created based on 09's templates, which are no longer there in the new one. There's hardly any templates in the new one and the old templates are not compatible or importable. Thanks Apple, I'll be sticking to 09 for a while.

3. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Seem like iLife 09 upgraded iPhoto and iMovie for free nothing for GarageBand and I hope for the same for iWorks since I have CD also.

4. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

Yes you have to be running Mavericks as well.

5. Kroner macrumors regular

Kroner

Oh, was a pity it wasn´t free when I got to know they were only free for new devices. At least it is nice that I get to update them for free. I wouldn´t have minded "Keynote" for free, but at least I will now be able to have the latest "Pages".

6. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Same, I'm curious how they differentiate between someone buying a new Mac and someone just re-installing their OS.

7. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

You must update to Mavericks first. Did you?

8. MauerFan macrumors regular

9. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

Sometimes weird stuff happens on the MAS. For example, when I tried to update iMovie, it said that I had a version installed that was not purchased from the MAS, and would I like to purchase it (weird because iPhoto and Garageband didn't say this) so, I deleted iMovie and it proceeded to install iMovie for me without purchasing. Doesn't make sense, but whatever.

10. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I purchased iMovie for iOS some time ago. I never got around to buying iPhoto or Garageband for iOS.

I was just able to update iMovie, but iPhoto and Garageband have a price tag on them. Am I really not able to get these for free on the iPhone 5S I just bought? Genuine question, not trying to whine.

11. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

My iWork wasnt purchased through the app store I guess because if I look under purchases its not there. Not sure where I got it from but Ive gotten all updates for the software through the app store. That to me is BS. Same goes with Aperture. $60 to buy iWorks ha no thanks. Like someone else said there is Google Docs and I have Word.

And there is always "other" way to get iWork. Wink wink know what I mean.

12. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

You should be able to download the whole iLife for free from your iPhone 5s

13. nutmac macrumors 601

I got a 15" rMBP (from work) about a week ago. iWork is showing up as $19.99.

14. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

I think it has to do with the hardware, not the software

15. Motawa macrumors 6502

No new instruments for GarageBand on ios... That makes me sad.

16. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Well, this sucks.

If one opens and edits a document on iCloud beta, then attempts to open the same document on iWorks 08 running Mavericks, it will not open!! (and states I must download the latest version of iWork from the AppStore).

17. bushido Suspended

bushido

okay got the free updates on my retina mbp which i purchased in january :)

18. glitched79 macrumors newbie

I have something strange happening...

My Pages says it's "Pages '09", but the version is 4.3, which is the latest version.

How can that be possible? Isn't Pages '11 version 4.3, not Pages '09?

Attached Files:

19. CBlakeston, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Are you seriously complaining at spending a few bucks to update years old software? Geez why don't you take the money you'd put aside for mavericks and use that to buy iWork? Or were you planning on ripping that off too.. 'Wink, wink

20. adamcz macrumors regular

Has anybody who recently purchased a Mac figured out how to download iWork for free? My computer purchase qualifies per the Apple website, but I don't see any "download for free" option in the App Store.

21. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

5 minutes ago, I looked up iPhoto in the iOS App Store and it said $4.99. After reading your message, I tried it again and it said free.

I can't find Garageband anywhere in the iOS App Store, free or not.

It seems like all the various changes were not quite ready to go live today when the announcements were made.

22. flipshot macrumors 6502a

There never was a Pages '11, they have not released a full update to iWork since 09. There was an iLife '11 but not iWork.

23. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Few bucks? Oh ok would you like my PayPal to send me $60? For some thats not a few bucks. Or Would you like to pay my 8k in student loans? $19.99 for a full operating system that you interact with everyday is a lot different than $60 for programs that will be occasionally used. Do you want to tussle?

24. mac.cali macrumors 65816

No I don't know what you mean. Please explain.

25. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

Confused now - I had Garageband, iMovie and iPhoto all installed on my Mac from the same iLife '11 DVD - App Store is letting me download the new Garageband for free, but is going to charge me for iMovie and iPhoto :confused: