Upgrade 13" MBP to 15" or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vulcan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Hi there,

I have a mid-2009 13" 2.26 MBP. I want to upgrade to the 15" MacBook Pro but don't know if I should wait or not. I don't desperately need a new one right this second, but I'd like to upgrade before school starts if nothing new is coming any time soon. Any advice?

Thanks!

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

upgrade now, especially if you need a new machine... nothing new coming down the pipe for at least a 3-4 months

3. alust2013, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There won't be a hardware upgrade until early 2012, so I would just buy now.

Personal philosophy on the matter: piss or get off the pot.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The new and thinner 15" MBP may be available before Christmas. You said you don't need a new laptop right now and so it makes sense to wait and see what Apple is going to come up with. Otherwise, you may end up with the last model prior to what may be a substantial refresh/redesign.

5. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

^
    I agree.

Good things come to those who wait.

6. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

Yah, I am waiting till the 2029 macpaper pro, it is going to be insane.... the waiting game is stupid

7. Vulcan thread starter macrumors 65816

Vulcan

That's true. I might as well wait and see what comes out.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Which is nothing more than a rumor at this point.

OP, there is always be something newer and greater coming around the corner, if you wait for every update you'll never buy, and if you watch for every update when you have a computer that does everything you need, you'll only kick yourself.

Unless you have infinite wealth, you'll never be able to have all of the latest and greatest, all the time, so buy now, and don't look back.

9. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Well, apparently he bought a 2009 MBP. The waiting game is not in the least bit stupid. It's very revelant when it comes to electronics if you ask me.

OP, you said you don't absolutely need it, but you want one before school starts though. Why?

The MBP's are past mid cycle, and the Macbuyers guide even advices that if you don't actually need one you might be better to hold off. I'm not saying that the Mac Buyer's Guide is the ultimate voice of wisdom or anything. Just think about it, and make a sound patient decision. Nice new shiny Macs are inciting as hell I know!

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

I'd wait. Redesign is coming up. For school, a C2D is more than enough, I even see people at university with old MBA's.

If I was in your shoes, I'd wait for the 2012 MBP and keep using the C2D. Redesign + 22nm CPU + 28nm GPU + USB 3.0 = huge upgrade :)

Thunderbolt is useless atm, and the 2011 MBP has the same hardware as the 2009 MBP, except for the internal specs.

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Exactly correct.

Buy it now--rumors are just that.

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Wait till march 2012, buy the latest model and enjoy.

13. Kraznoff macrumors member

You're never going to stay on top of apple upgrades, so if your motivation is to have the latest apple laptop you will be disappointed no matter when you buy it. I just bought the new MBP a few months ago and there is already talk of the new MBA Pro. If you just want a good laptop you won't be disappointed with the current MPB line. I won't' go into details because they are all over the place but the MBP is a solid piece of hardware, and you're free to add ram and an ssd to make it even better. It will soon be possible to upgrade the graphics card too, although externally, thanks to the thunderbolt port.

14. randomrazr macrumors 65816

the pros were just updtaed in february and the airs just....like now LOL

apple wont release new ones before christmas. ivy bridge wont even be out till early 2012!!! this dude knows nothing.

buy now and enjoy it. like some posts have said, tthe waiting game is stupid.

15. hito macrumors newbie

I want to buy a MBP now.
    But again, people seem to put me off with this 'update blah blah'.
    Now I don't know what to do...I can afford it now, but in march I might not be able to afford it (and then regret sets in).
    My mind says wait, my heart says buy ;].

:<.

16. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Let's say you get a new MBP right now... You're still going to have a pretty damn good laptop, even IF they release a new one before Christmas.

And the thing about Apple products.. If they're in great condition, the resale value is very good. With that said, if you decide to sell your laptop... Make sure the info is backed up and then wiped out before selling it. After that, use the money to buy the new one and you didn't spend a complete fortune. Viola!

I hated playing the waiting game... I waited and waited from 2006 to January of 2011. I had a lot of anxiety and it was on my mind constantly. It seriously bothered me that I kept waiting.

Next thing I knew, 3 weeks after I imploded on the waiting game.. Apple comes out with the new MBP. Thankfully, Apple has such a good customer service and I was able to return it for the newer one. I just had to pay $100 restocking fee, but that balanced out since I used my student discount.

Get it now, you'll be happy. When the new one comes out, decide what you want to do about it then.

17. d0ster macrumors regular

Live for today. Tomorrow's laptop is promised to no one. :p

18. TheBoors macrumors newbie

I had the same debate in my mind, but then I realized that I could still have a very powerful laptop when they release the new ones. IDC if it's a redesign, what I really want is performance, so I took the high end 15, and I'll upgrade it to 8g ram soon. It'll still be great in a year and more.

After all, you're buying a computer, not some new coat or glasses. Plus retro is cool :cool:

19. hito macrumors newbie

thanks you guys ;].
    i think you guys should work for apple, you can go sell me products anyday :p.

20. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I have a mid 2009 MBP 13 too and I was thinking of upgrading to a 15 earlier this year but I will wait to see what comes out next year. My MBP 13 still works great I know I can do everything that a MBP 15 can do just maybe a little bit slower. I have mine hooked up to an external monitor most of the time so screen size has not been a big issue but I'm looking forward to the 15 and the HiRes matte screen next year. Also looking forward to a thinner/lighter unit with dual hard drives SSD and a high capacity drive in place of the optical drive.

If you have 2gb of ram I would upgrade it to 4gb or 8gb and that will make a big difference to tide you over another 5-6 months.

21. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Why the hell are you letting "people" control your actions?

22. hito macrumors newbie

Indecisiveness :/.

23. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u can either buy now and enjoy it or will till early 2012 till something new comes out

24. Vulcan thread starter macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It's up to 5GB now, but honestly I don't feel much of a difference since the upgrade. As sad as it is to say, it will really bother me if there is a redesign and I'm stuck with the old model. This is coming from someone who bought a white MacBook a month before they came out with the unibody ones. I guess ever since then I've been stuck in this waiting game.

25. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

I AGREE!!!

I'd definitely see what Apple has up their sleeve for Late 2011.... We could all be pleasantly surprised.