tlaw81

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
96
35
North Carolina
So, this topic is often discussed. But, I’m curious on your thoughts.

I currently have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5”. It works great - no issues. I’d like a bigger screen.

Should I bite the bullet and purchase the 2018 12.9” now or should I wait until they release an upgraded version? The MacRumors Buyer’s Guide says “Caution”. I‘d rather not wait 10 months if the rumors suggest October.

Just want to know what you all think.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
10,857
7,378
There are pretty nice discounts on the 2018 Pros now. It'll likely be months after the next Pros' release before we see deals on them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tlaw81
Comment

808drums

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
79
55
The 2018 Pro is a power house... i think it's too much to wait for the next model.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tlaw81
Comment

rhchan84

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2018
1
1
I’m also in the same boat. Nice discounts now but do I wait? I’m still rocking the iPad Air 2. Nothing wrong with it except battery life is terrible. Had it since a few months after release and it gets used a lot. I’m leaving towards the current Pro to save a bit. But also in no rush either.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tlaw81
Comment

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
751
194
USA
I find my second gen 12.9 quite smooth. Amazing actually since I moved up from a OG iPad Air.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tlaw81
Comment

AutomaticApple

macrumors 604
Nov 28, 2018
7,192
3,228
Massachusetts
So, this topic is often discussed. But, I’m curious on your thoughts.

I currently have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5”. It works great - no issues. I’d like a bigger screen.

Should I bite the bullet and purchase the 2018 12.9” now or should I wait until they release an upgraded version? The MacRumors Buyer’s Guide says “Caution”. I‘d rather not wait 10 months if the rumors suggest October.

Just want to know what you all think.

Thanks!
There could be a refresh in Spring.
 
Comment

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
1,045
892
Eindhoven (NL)
So, this topic is often discussed. But, I’m curious on your thoughts.

I currently have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5”. It works great - no issues. I’d like a bigger screen.

Should I bite the bullet and purchase the 2018 12.9” now or should I wait until they release an upgraded version? The MacRumors Buyer’s Guide says “Caution”. I‘d rather not wait 10 months if the rumors suggest October.

Just want to know what you all think.

Thanks!
I was in a similar situation.
My 10.5” developed the bright spot and with only 64 Gb of storage I was somewhat limited.

I was hoping for a November refresh, but I finally pulled the trigger for a 256 Gb 11” at 100€ discount.
Very happy so far.

Yes, a march refresh would ruin my day, but I always have the option to sell it next year.
 
Comment

jackcoke

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2018
7
1
As was said before, good deals on any 2020 iPads are gonna take a while, as will the refurbished versions. So if you don’t want to pay retail price for iPads, the next version is a long ways off even with a Spring refresh.

Look out for good Christmas deals now. I just snagged the top spec iPad Pro 12.9 1TB for the equivalent of USD 905 (not in US btw, I’m in Asia).
 
Last edited:
Comment

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
4,197
2,138
Manhattan
So, this topic is often discussed. But, I’m curious on your thoughts.

I currently have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5”. It works great - no issues. I’d like a bigger screen.

Should I bite the bullet and purchase the 2018 12.9” now or should I wait until they release an upgraded version? The MacRumors Buyer’s Guide says “Caution”. I‘d rather not wait 10 months if the rumors suggest October.

Just want to know what you all think.

Thanks!

If you have a 2017 iPad I wouldn’t then get one that was released in 2018 when we are at the end of 2019. I’ve got 2016 iPad and I’m certainly waiting for a refresh since mine is also working fine.

That being said, the deals are great if you don’t already have a recent model.
 
Comment

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
3,402
3,617
All you poor souls who thought we were getting an iPad upgrade in October without checking the buyers guide...
 
Comment

UnLiMiTeD558

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2009
1,299
832
Bc Canada
Depends how big of a deal it is to get into a bigger size right now. If you already have a good working 2017 pro, I don’t think it would hurt to hold off a bit longer unless the screen size if really affecting things
 
Comment

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
8,524
6,236
Personally I'm waiting (I also have the 2017 iPad Pro) there is rumoured to be a big screen update with Mini LED technology, it could happen at WWDC or before.
Timing is not often predicted correctly, even the very reliable Ming Chi Kuo and Mark Gurman from Bloomberg are not 100% correct when it comes to timings.

My 2017 is still working great (it was a replacement I received last year, due to an issue with the previous one. However its still the 2017 version and it still works great). There isn't really a rush for me to get the 2018 version, Even Luma Fusion 2 works great one it.
 
Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
25,602
14,366
UK
if rumours are true that next pros will be not until October 2020 then maybe get a pro now
 
Comment

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
3,402
3,617
I doubt they will wait until October, they usually update them every 18 months. March-April time they might get an update.
How do you even reach the conclusion that Apple would wait 2 years to update a device that's always updated every 16 to 18 months...
 
Comment

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
8,524
6,236
How do you even reach the conclusion that Apple would wait 2 years to update a device that's always updated every 16 to 18 months...

Because the 2018 iPad Pro is already very powerful, it's still leading the market in terms of tablet power. Apple could skip an A13X and go straight to an A14X. That is rumoured by Ming Chi Kuo anyway.

There are arguments for both sides really. Personally i would like to see Apple update the iPad Pro at a March-April event OR at WWDC.
 
Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,585
426
Location Location Location
I’m not upgrading, but am thinking of buying a new 12.9” or 11” iPP very soon.

Life is short. Do you want to wait almost a year for a better product to come along? Save some money, buy one now. The A12X is incredibly fast, and there are discounts to be had.

Keep in mind the fact that these rumours of a new iPad with mini-LED screen specifically mentioned the 12.9”. It never mentioned the 11”. Sure, the rumour may not be accurate, but if you believe the rumour as presented, it’s very safe for anyone who wants an 11” iPad Pro to buy today. ??‍♂️
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.