Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well i think the Apple Watch is just ugly..

Ugly and Useless, 2XU

A nigh / sleep monitor,,,,so when do you charge it??
You have to wear the god damn thing.
Seriously.

And you obviously don't know anything about the Apple Watch, if you did, you would know the Apple Watch does not have sleep monitoring capabilities.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Ugly and Useless, 2XU

Seriously.
why exactly is it useless? it does what it's suppose to do. gives you notifications, helps monitor fitness and at least has some decent apps for quick access on the go.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Ugly and Useless, 2XU

Seriously.
When you are bathing or brushing your teeth.

Basically, the time from when you wake up to right before you leave your house.

It will take a little change to one's lifestyle, but I am sure there are little pockets of time you can find to charge the watch.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Your 5th repair. Wow. What issues have you experienced? How does your screen keep popping out? Sorry to hear that.

I will be walking around and suddenly hear a clanking sound. Look down, and the screen is hanging by a wire. This has happened 3 times now.

Once the battery wouldn't hold a 30 minute charge, got really hot during that time.

The last time (about 2 months ago). The screen only showed red color. For a few seconds it would be normal than fade to only showing red. The Genius Bar said they had never seen that one before.

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
why exactly is it useless? it does what it's suppose to do. gives you notifications, helps monitor fitness and at least has some decent apps for quick access on the go.

Lets see ....
No GPS, running and so on...highly inaccurate data, need to carry an Iphone
Viewing pictures? Hell no..Go to phone
Telling me to stand when i have already stood for 4 hrs
Charging...Bring the dongle EVERYWHERE when travelling (why no lightning port? Seriously it should be universal in all mobile Apple products)
Wrong heart rate data...
And software and input are so confusing!!

Iphone OS is just simple and intuitive..Watch OS is so WINDOWS.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I suppose if you could get people to actually BUY Macs then Apple might give the Macbook Pro/Mac Pro more attention.

It's not about what people want, it's about what has the highest profit. An iPad Pro with a pencil and KB costs the same as a 13 " rMBP .

Guess which one will get continual updates and which one will stagnate.

We just need to be reminded that computers are dead....the future is the big profit iPad Pro....a computer replacement ;)

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Who cares, I want a new Mac Pro.

I want an Apple Car? Am I doing it right? What's the point of this post on an Apple Watch article?

EDIT: this trend that I'm noticing from Apple: it's like...80s famous movie in blue ray disc...and sequels of those movies.

Same as it has always been for their iOS devices - when the 3GS was released the 3G was dropped in price and became the entry model. It can't have taken nearly a decade to spot that trend.

- Apple Watch: nearly useless without your iPhone.

Nearly useless? Have you owned one? They work fine without an iPhone. I jog iPhone-less a few tiems a week and the watch tracks my run as well as allowing me to use Apple Pay to pick up a bottle of water.

From the company that brought you the iPhone 5s reboot: the iPhone SE... Comes the revolutionary Apple Watch 2: featuring the Apple Watch 1 with some improved stuff...

Aren't you describing every successful product ever. Release, update, release?

Reactions: pat500000

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Current Apple is in maintenance mode. Just the same products with minor speed updates. Except, they completely forgot about the Mac lineup.

For a minute it looks like they have clocked on to a tic-toc upgrade cycle where every second model has real new features to watch out for.

ilian92

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2012
That's what i was saying earlier...based on what I read on this article...I get the impression that it's apple watch SE....
I can't say anything because it hasn't happened yet...but if the rumors are true....so be it.

Surely not haha. Makes absolutely no sense unless you wanna completely undercut your own product.

Reactions: pat500000

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hopefully the build quality improves ... this week I am heading in for my 5th repair / replacement. I don't abuse the watch or anything I am very careful.

The damn screens keep popped out! Not kidding https://twitter.com/joped/status/762381338171232257/photo/1
Good grief! I have beat the heck out of both of my watches. My Sport got dropped and trampled at one of my daughter's sporting events and other than one pockmark and some scratches is fine. My stainless steel got a workout last summer when I was doing a lot of landscaping gigs in the summer heat. The only thing messing up both was the last software update. They both tend to disconnect and reconnect a lot to the iPhone SE in recent days. But that could be the phone, for all I know. Anyway I was thinking Apple Watches are built like tanks!

I'm a bit confused not only by the watch update news, but by the fact there are two headline articles on MacRumors that look to be saying the same thing. I admit I just got up and haven't had any caffeine yet. But whoa...deja vu! Was the other article like the Apple Watch 1 upgrade and this one like the Apple Watch 2? :confused:

Quick, nurse...this patient needs a caffeine transfusion. Coffee...tea...I don't care. ;) Anyway, good morning MacRumors. Have a great day, everyone!

Reactions: Gasu E.

LowellFan09

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
I sure hope we aren't going to have to wait until an October event to see newly unveiled MacBook Pro's. I really hope they announce them alongside the iPhone 7.

Reactions: bigandtasty

pjh

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Airstrip 1
Lets see ....
No GPS, running and so on...highly inaccurate data, need to carry an Iphone

Not true for me. It's accurate without the iphone to within 10%. That's perfectly acceptable for an amateur fitness monitor

Viewing pictures? Hell no..Go to phone

True, but did anyone seriously buy an apple watch with picture viewing in mind? I seriously doubt it.

Telling me to stand when i have already stood for 4 hrs

Don't have this problem.

Charging...Bring the dongle EVERYWHERE when travelling (why no lightning port? Seriously it should be universal in all mobile Apple products)

Apple missed a trick here. I don't think it should charge via lightning. But the charging puck should have a detachable charging cable, so the user would then have to carry only one lightening cable with them.

Wrong heart rate data...

Not for me. Compared to my Garmin chest strap monitor is's pretty close (+/- 5 bpm)

And software and input are so confusing!!

At first it's a little odd. After a few days I had not problem.

The apple watch is by no means a must have product, but neither was the first iphone. It's a nice device that complements an iphone well. I really don't see what more could be expected with the inherent size limitations and current battery technology.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
It's not about what people want, it's about what has the highest profit. An iPad Pro with a pencil and KB costs the same as a 13 " rMBP .

Guess which one will get continual updates and which one will stagnate.

We just need to be reminded that computers are dead....the future is the big profit iPad Pro....a computer replacement ;)

And what they make the most profit on is directly related to what people want. If Macs sold in iPhone numbers, then they would be getting iPhone attention. Back when Macs were Apple's bread and butter, you would have a new PowerBook every 7 months. Now mobile devices make Apple more money and they get the attention. Clearly that's what people want.

I'm reminded of how people clamored for a Mac Pro update. Tons of people said "I'd buy a Mac Pro today if they updated it." Yet... Here we are.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Pls check out Sleep++ app on the App Store.
Requires an Apple Watch.

That's a third party application. So using it as your prime example to establish that the Apple Watch itself is useless is illogical.

However, even the Sleep++ application has some use; and that's true even if it creates a conflict with charging. Some people need sleep monitoring for just a few a nights, which typically takes specialized equipment. If that's the case, you can use the Apple Watch for that, even if it means you use it less during the day for a couple of days. As many have said, the Apple Watch supplements other gadgets-- it's a convenience not a necessity.

In any case, the introduction of the new watch is going to expand the availability of versions of the watch at lower price levels; possibly by the Watch 1 being sold at lower price levels, and certainly through the used market. Plenty of people will have more than one of these things.
[doublepost=1470661608][/doublepost]
Good grief! I have beat the heck out of both of my watches. My Sport got dropped and trampled at one of my daughter's sporting events and other than one pockmark and some scratches is fine. My stainless steel got a workout last summer when I was doing a lot of landscaping gigs in the summer heat. The only thing messing up both was the last software update. They both tend to disconnect and reconnect a lot to the iPhone SE in recent days. But that could be the phone, for all I know. Anyway I was thinking Apple Watches are built like tanks!

I'm a bit confused not only by the watch update news, but by the fact there are two headline articles on MacRumors that look to be saying the same thing. I admit I just got up and haven't had any caffeine yet. But whoa...deja vu! Was the other article like the Apple Watch 1 upgrade and this one like the Apple Watch 2? :confused:

Quick, nurse...this patient needs a caffeine transfusion. Coffee...tea...I don't care. ;) Anyway, good morning MacRumors. Have a great day, everyone!

Goodness, it is unfamilar to see a post by an adult woman in these forums. I had gotten too used to puerile negativity lacking in perspective. Thanks! :)

Reactions: 5105973

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I wonder how resale value is gonna work on older high end models with exotic materials.

I realize most who could afford those gold Apple watches probably won't care too much. That said, I could see Apple quietly sending an email to those who spent "x" dollars or more for a free or nominal charge upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.